Re: [nslu2-general] Secure access to Slug (behind corporate firewall)

  • Peter Campion-Bye
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 6, 2006
      > Hi,
      >
      > I have lots of data (some work stuff, photos, finance stuff etc) that
      > I would like to access remotely. I've installed OpenSSH and can login
      > remotely using something like Putty, but the problem is I can't do
      > this from work. The corporate firewall is blocking my SSH request.
      > I've tried the HTTP proxy from within Putty and this also does'nt work.
      >
      > So is there something anyone can suggest to get around this, either
      > Putty based or perhaps some sort of web server on the Slug. Naturally,
      > it needs to be secure.

      I had the same problem at my last place, I found that they blocked ssh but not
      telnet, so I just ran the sshd on port 23. If that's blocked as well, then
      port 80 is your most likely option, as long as you're not running a web server
      on the same box.
    • Razvan Gornea
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 6, 2006

        you may try the following:

        1) negociate with your sys. admin., after all opening outgoing connections
        on port 22 seems to me a reasonable request

        2) you probably have a router at home ... create a RDR rule for port 80 and
        forward the connection to port 22 on the NSLU2. If you can not find an easy
        way to start Putty on port 80 then install a basic Cygwin distro. with
        OpenSSH. If you need to access the web server on your NSLU2 do tunneling
        through ssh:

        ssh -N -L 80:localhost:80 your.NSLU2.your.domain

        and point your browser at http://localhost which is your computer at work.
        If you have some other machine running a web server so port 80 is already
        used then limit the previous rule to the domain.at.work and insert it before
        the general rule for web so when you connect from work "port 80 to 22 on
        NSLU2" rule is matched first.

        Solution number 2 would work if what's blocking is a simple firewall and you
        can get direct connections to web servers. In more complexe configurations
        you may have to gather more information, try paying a couple of beers to
        your sys. admin. (may also help for solution number 1).

        Good luck,
        Razvan

      • Phil Endecott
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 7, 2006
          > I have lots of data (some work stuff, photos, finance stuff etc) that
          > I would like to access remotely. I've installed OpenSSH and can login
          > remotely using something like Putty, but the problem is I can't do
          > this from work. The corporate firewall is blocking my SSH request.
          > I've tried the HTTP proxy from within Putty and this also does'nt work.
          >
          > So is there something anyone can suggest to get around this, either
          > Putty based or perhaps some sort of web server on the Slug. Naturally,
          > it needs to be secure.

          You need Anyterm: http://anyterm.org/

          If that's not exactly what you need, have a look at the Comparisons page on the Anyterm website, which lists numerous other remote-access technologies. If you have Apache and PHP installed you might like to try AjaxTerm.

          I have cross-compiled the Anyterm stand-alone daemon for OpenDebianSlug in the past, and the runes to do this are included. Last time I tried, however, I found that OpenDebianSlug's vesion of Boost is too old. This can probably be fixed, but I wouldn't suggest trying to compile anything that uses Boost natively.

          Good luck. Do mail me directly, or ask on the Anyterm forum, if you have any questions.

          --Phil.