Oops - IP changed via Redboot now can't get in

  • ASB 98
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2006
      Not one to make just a simple error - I opted to make two...

      * * *

      On Friday I decided to change the IP address of my unslung, using web
      interface, from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.11. This was my first mistake.

      After this change I could not get access to the unit, this was probably due
      to a conflict with my router on same IP address. I altered the router IP but
      still could not see the the nslu2. I tried the nslu2 reset button but no
      joy.

      I attached a cross-over ethernet cable to the unit and plugged it into a
      laptop. I gained Redboot access and has a go at altering the IP address,
      with aim to get it onto 192.168.1.11 . Mistake number 2.

      I thought the Redboot had timed out and hit enter, with the command only
      partially complete - without altering the subnet mask... so the command
      executed was "ip_address 192.168.1.11". This then led to to me being locked
      out...

      When I tried to get the back into the NSLU2 it did not boot up on
      192.168.0.1, but instead I noticed my pings came true with 192.168.0.11.
      Trying to get access to Redboot on this IP, but no joy - it jumped passed
      far too quickly (and it is not a turbo-slug!).

      Before I go and make another error... was wondering if there was someone
      with some better ideas...
      :-P

      * * *

      My router can only manage subnet 255.255.255.0, so will need to pop around
      to a mates to try to access slug This seems the likely way to get back into
      the slug. Indeed the subnet issue is the reason for using the cross-over
      cable when getting Redboot access.

      If I've blown this unit, then I will just have to look into getting
      another...
      ....still more unslung fun to have...

      Thanks for your help - hope you also got some joy from this story too!
      AB

    • Razvan Gornea
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 3, 2006

        if you think that your NSLU2 has now I.P. address 192.168.0.11 than all you
        have to do is:
        - link your laptop and the NSLU2 with your crossover cable
        - add an entry in the routing table, i.e. on Linux
        # route add -host 192.168.0.11 dev eth0
        where I supposed you ethernet device that you used is eth0 (which probably
        is ... )
        - start your browser, go to 192.168.0.11 and reconfigure your IP settings
        - you are going to loose the connection once it changed the IP
        - go to the new address with the browser

        I supposed here that you are running Unslung on your NSLU2. If you are
        running only Windows on your laptop ask somebody how to do a similar thing
        because I don't know.

        Razvan