Re: Disk not formatted

  • lane10uk
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 2, 2006
      I had a very similar experience using nslu2 with a lacie 250GB hdd. I
      basically had to recover the data using the r-linux app on a windows pc
      (http://www.data-recovery-software.net/Linux_Recovery.shtml), wipe the
      drive and send it back under guarantee. I swapped it for a buffalo usb
      drive and all has been rosy with it so far.

      Do a search on 'I/O error'.

      Richard

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "swavmcav" <john.mcavenue@...>
      wrote:

      > It came up in windows with an IO error.
      > Now it says disk 1 is not formatted.
    • swavmcav
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 9, 2006
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "swavmcav" <john.mcavenue@...>
        wrote:

        Please have patience with me. I'm no Linux expert.

        I telnet into the slug and I tried to umount the drive as follows

        umount /dev/sda1

        It tells me "invalid argument"

        I tried (to unmount all file systems I think)

        umount -a

        It tells me "device or resource busy"

        What can I do next? Did i follow this instruction in the faq incorrectly?

        I ran out of patience and tried to reformat the disk from the web
        interface. It goes through the motions but returns to the "Not
        Formatted" status at the end.

        When I try a scandisk from the web interface it says "No disk available"

        It could be a hardware problem I suppose. It has been running more or
        less continuosly for over a year.

        Does anyone have any ideas?

        I have my data backed up so I don't mind wiping the thing and starting
        over.

        > Hi everyone,
        >
        > I know there have been a lot of posts regarding this and it is
        > mentioned in the FAQ but I don't seem to have a clear picture of the
        > problem or it's resolution from this.
        >
        > I hope someone can simplify it - I'm not so hot on Linux.
        >
        > After deleting a large number of files from my HDD becasue the drive
        > was full I noticed that I could no longer write to it. I could read
        > but not write. It came up in windows with an IO error.
        >
        > I pressed the restart button from the web interface and waited.
        >
        > Now it says disk 1 is not formatted.
        >
        > The data is all there. I'm sure of that. I also have a backup so I'm
        > not to devated if I need to reformat.
        >
        > The slug works great for months on end and then throws a wobly like
        > this. It's a bit frustrating because it takes me with my limited
        > knowledge ages to sort out but I do love the thing. It acts as my
        > media server.
        >

        > Please help. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

      • swavmcav
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 9, 2006
          A bit more info.

          I tried to temprarily mount the disk as follows

          mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/dsk

          where mnt/dsk is a directory I created. i saw this in the wiki somewhere.

          it fails to mount and says "Mounting /dev/sda1 on /mnt/dsk failed.
          Invalid argument."

          If I type the mount command I get the following listed

          /dev/mtdblock4 on / type jffs2 (rw)
          /proc on /proc type proc (rw)
          usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)

          it looks to me like the disk is not mounted

          Any ideas?

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 11, 2006
            OK I've got a copy of Knoppix running. I've plugged the USB drive
            directly into the PC. I want to run fsck to check the disk.

            Now I'm really lost, browsing round this file system.

            Can anyone tell me how I reference the usb drive? Where is it? Do I
            need to mount it? If so how? And more important how do I reference it
            with the fsck command (I can find the command in sbin but how do I
            reference the usb drive?)

            With a little help I can do this and learn something along the way so
            go on ...

            If it helps the output from df is

            /dev/root 2471 15 2456 1% /
            /ramdisk 400188 7568 392620 2% /ramdisk
            /UNIONFS 7543508 7150888 392620 95% /UNIONFS
            /dev/hda 3266250 3266250 0 100% /cdrom
            /dev/cloop 5270118 5270118 0 100% /KNOPPIX
            /dev/cloop2 1873204 1873204 0 100% /KNOPPIX2
            /UNIONFS/dev/hda 3266250 3266250 0 100% mnt/auto/cdrom

            The output from mount is

            /dev/root on / type ext2 (rw)
            /ramdisk on /ramdisk type tmpfs (rw,size=400188k)
            /UNIONFS on /UNIONFS type unionfs
            (rw,dirs=/ramdisk=rw:/KNOPPIX=ro:/KNOPPIX2=ro,delete=whiteout)
            /dev/hda on /cdrom type iso9660 (ro)
            /dev/cloop on /KNOPPIX type iso9660 (ro)
            /dev/cloop2 on /KNOPPIX2 type iso9660 (ro)
            /UNIONFS/dev/pts on /UNIONFS/dev/pts type devpts (rw)
            /proc/bus/usb on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw,devmode=0666)
            automount(pid2646) on /mnt/auto type autofs
            (rw,fd=4,pgrp=2646,minproto=2,maxproto=4)
            /UNIONFS/dev/hda on /mnt/auto/cdrom type iso9660 (ro,nosuid,nodev)

            Is the USB drive even there?

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 11, 2006
              I just thought I would add that I relaise the usb disk needs to be
              umounted when I run fsck.

              I'm trying to mount it just to prove i can get to it.

              Note that when I try mount /dev/uba1 I get

              knoppix@1[/]$ mount /dev/uba1
              mount: can't find /UNIONFS/dev/uba1 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

              maybe the disk is gubbed after all?