Re: [nslu2-general] Networking Dilemna

  • Gerald L. Clark
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 2006
      christopher_m_hecht wrote:
      > Hello all,
      >
      > Here is my dilemna, I have a Unslung 5.5 running MT-DAAP, and a
      > Netgear WGT624. I've set it up in my network with a few scenarios.
      >
      > 1) My Slug is obtaining a NAT address from my WGT. In this scenario,
      > my Roku, on the same subnet, can pick up the Slug and read the
      > library. This is great for home use, but unfortunately, I cannot
      > access the Slug from the internet.
      >
      > 2) I give my Slug a hardcoded IP address (I have three of them,
      > other's are being used for other things), and connect it to my DSL
      > router directly, this is great, and now I can shell in from my
      > office, and stream my music no problem there, but unfortunately,
      > since my Roku is on my wireless subnet, it can't see my Slug, and
      > then my Roku is a paperweight.
      >
      > 3) The Panacea I'm not sure I can achieve. I'd like to have my
      > static IP'ed slug on the same subnet as DHCP'ed Roku. I've been told
      > by netgear this isn't feasible, as they will only route their NAT
      > addresses and I can't have a external IP behind their router.
      >
      > So, is three possible, are there wireless routers that will let me
      > assign a static, external and routable IP address as an option?
      >
      > Does anyone have any other options or recommendations as to how to
      > make this fly, if I have to buy some more hardware, toss out the WGT,
      > etc, I'll be open to it. I just want to get this all up and running
      > and meet the goal of streaming internally, and streaming at work!
      >
      > Looking forward to any advice.
      >
      > Take care all,
      > Chris

      Use port forwarding on on your router to forward ports 22 and 80 to the
      slug.
    • fantuzfantuz
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 20, 2008
        hello chris !

        why don't you setup ssh tunnels over your main ssh connection ?
        tunnel is easy, it just needs 1 opened port (the ssh one), then you
        can forward and backward ports, even on the fly !!

        look : if i'm away from home, and want to stream my mt-daapd to
        office, i'll issue a command like this :

        ssh -l root -L 10000:127.0.0.1:3689 domain.or.ipaddress.com -p 443

        substitute "domain.or.ipaddress.com" with a valid domain/ip address
        and note the "-p" option that tells to use 443 instead of 22 (this is
        optional but works great trough proxies !!)
        to change ssh port look "sshd_config" in ~/.ssh/

        if you use a client like putty, look in options you will find "SSH-
        >Tunnels" and there you can setup multiple tunnel forwardings

        hope it helps

        Massimiliano Fantuzzi -- http://www.fantuz.net

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald L. Clark"