Perfect solution for your torrents needs on the NSLU2

  • snatcher93
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 28, 2006
      Hi there,
      downloading and managing the torrent downloads on the NSLU2 seems a
      little complicated, on solution for managing your downloads is
      Torrentflux that some of you may know (it a PHP application that
      allow you to load torrents/download torrents/stop torrents ...), the
      problem with it is that it uses a bittorrent client based on the
      python language (=> slow and RAM hungry), so it is almost unusable on
      the NSLU2 !
      When i discovered a C based client called Transmission, i thought
      about integrating it with torrentflux ! So this is what i've
      successfully done, and the results are pretty good => really few CPU
      usage and less RAM usage than the python client !

      Here is what you need to make this thing working :
      - A HTTP server with php support, i use lighttpd + php compiled with
      CGI support
      - JAM (ftp://ftp.perforce.com/pub/jam/) that is needed to compile
      Transmission (./configure && make)
      - Download my patches attached in the Transmission thread in
      torrentflux forum (check in related links in at the end of the
      message)
      - Download Transmission ( "svn co
      svn://svn.m0k.org/Transmission/trunk Transmission" for latest CVS
      or "wget http://download.m0k.org/transmission/files/Transmission-
      0.5.tar.gz" for version 0.5), apply my patch (in Transmission
      directory "patch -Np1 < Tranmsmission-cvs.patch" or "patch -Np1 <
      Tranmsmission-0.5.patch" depending on the version you get) and
      compile : "./configure && jam && cp transmissioncli /usr/bin"
      - Download Torrentflux 2.0b, in the html directory, apply my patch
      (patch -Np1 < torrentflux_2.0b.patch) and copy the html directory in
      your web server tree.
      - Follow the "sqlite usage" guide (check in related links at the end
      of this message)
      - Configure your torrentflux (edit the config.php file to set where
      you want to store the downloaded torrents and to set the location of
      your sqlite database)

      Now it should be ok ;)
      I hope it'll be usefull to some of you :)

      Sylver

      Related links :
      - Torrentflux : http://www.torrentflux.com/
      - Transmission : http://transmission.m0k.org/
      - Topic about Transmission integration in Torrentflux :
      http://www.torrentflux.com/forum/index.php/topic,809.0.html (you'll
      need to register the forum to see and download attached files)
      - Topic about using sqlite instead of MySQL with Torrentflux :
      http://www.torrentflux.com/forum/index.php/topic,697.0.html
      - Topic about using lighttpd + php instead of apache + php :
      http://trac.lighttpd.net/trac/wiki/TutorialLighttpdAndPHP
    • Philip Pemberton
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 28, 2006
        In message <e0b0pj+kb7v@...>
        "snatcher93" <snatcher93@...> wrote:

        > apply my patch (in Transmission
        > directory "patch -Np1 < Tranmsmission-cvs.patch" or "patch -Np1 <
        > Tranmsmission-0.5.patch"

        And this patch is available from...?

        --
        Phil. | Kitsune: Acorn RiscPC SA202 64M+6G ViewFinder
        philpem@... | Cheetah: Athlon64 3200+ A8VDeluxeV2 512M+100G
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 28, 2006
          Hiho Sylver,

          Quite a description you gave there, but I will certainly try it out!
          I would like to use Rtorrent for that, but that one is still not working on
          the slug for quite some months I am sad to say.
          Python based as I do now, I can run at most 2 torrents before almost
          freezing my slug.
          I really am curious as to the performance of your solution. Thank you for
          documenting it!
          (Maybe you could make a howto on the Wiki pages)

          Ludo

          > downloading and managing the torrent downloads on the NSLU2 seems a
          > little complicated, on solution for managing your downloads is
          > Torrentflux that some of you may know (it a PHP application that
          > allow you to load torrents/download torrents/stop torrents ...), the
          > problem with it is that it uses a bittorrent client based on the
          > python language (=> slow and RAM hungry), so it is almost unusable on
          > the NSLU2 !
          > When i discovered a C based client called Transmission, i thought
          > about integrating it with torrentflux ! So this is what i've
          > successfully done, and the results are pretty good => really few CPU
          > usage and less RAM usage than the python client !
          >
          > Here is what you need to make this thing working :
          > - A HTTP server with php support, i use lighttpd + php compiled with
          > CGI support
          > - JAM (ftp://ftp.perforce.com/pub/jam/) that is needed to compile
          > Transmission (./configure && make)
          > - Download my patches attached in the Transmission thread in
          > torrentflux forum (check in related links in at the end of the
          > message)
          > - Download Transmission ( "svn co
          > svn://svn.m0k.org/Transmission/trunk Transmission" for latest CVS
          > or "wget http://download.m0k.org/transmission/files/Transmission-
          > 0.5.tar.gz" for version 0.5), apply my patch (in Transmission
          > directory "patch -Np1 < Tranmsmission-cvs.patch" or "patch -Np1 <
          > Tranmsmission-0.5.patch" depending on the version you get) and
          > compile : "./configure && jam && cp transmissioncli /usr/bin"
          > - Download Torrentflux 2.0b, in the html directory, apply my patch
          > (patch -Np1 < torrentflux_2.0b.patch) and copy the html directory in
          > your web server tree.
          > - Follow the "sqlite usage" guide (check in related links at the end
          > of this message)
          > - Configure your torrentflux (edit the config.php file to set where
          > you want to store the downloaded torrents and to set the location of
          > your sqlite database)
          >
          > Now it should be ok ;)
          > I hope it'll be usefull to some of you :)
          >
          > Sylver
          >
          > Related links :
          > - Torrentflux : http://www.torrentflux.com/
          > - Transmission : http://transmission.m0k.org/
          > - Topic about Transmission integration in Torrentflux :
          > http://www.torrentflux.com/forum/index.php/topic,809.0.html (you'll
          > need to register the forum to see and download attached files)
          > - Topic about using sqlite instead of MySQL with Torrentflux :
          > http://www.torrentflux.com/forum/index.php/topic,697.0.html
          > - Topic about using lighttpd + php instead of apache + php :
          > http://trac.lighttpd.net/trac/wiki/TutorialLighttpdAndPHP
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • snatcher93
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 28, 2006
            as i don't own a nslu2, writing a Wiki seems hard for me (i don't know
            what is the installed http server, if it have native php support, if
            building tools are installed by default ... ;)
            I did all what i said on a kurobox HG (powerpc @ 266MHz with 128MB of
            RAM), downloading @ 500kB/s use around 3% of CPU where the python
            based was using 60-70% of the CPU ! There is no comparison possible
            between both clients ;) Each torrent i run use between 1.8-2.2% of my
            RAM, this should be 3.6-4.4% of ram on the NSLU2 (as it got 2x less RAM)
            So let's someone install this on his nslu2 and write a WiKi ;)

            Sylver

            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Ludo Sak" <nslu2@...> wrote:

            > Hiho Sylver,
            >
            > Quite a description you gave there, but I will certainly try it out!
            > I would like to use Rtorrent for that, but that one is still not
            working on
            > the slug for quite some months I am sad to say.
            > Python based as I do now, I can run at most 2 torrents before almost
            > freezing my slug.
            > I really am curious as to the performance of your solution. Thank
            you for
            > documenting it!
            > (Maybe you could make a howto on the Wiki pages)
            >
            > Ludo

          • Razvan Gornea
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 28, 2006

              I think rtorrent works on the slug with little impact on the system
              performance, at least this is the case for DebianSlug:

              top - 02:33:43 up 2:47, 1 user, load average: 1.00, 1.03, 1.01
              Tasks: 35 total, 1 running, 34 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
              Cpu(s): 1.0% us, 1.6% sy, 0.0% ni, 85.7% id, 8.5% wa, 2.0% hi, 1.3% si
              Mem: 30384k total, 29332k used, 1052k free, 240k buffers
              Swap: 987988k total, 6184k used, 981804k free, 20084k cached

              1173 gornea 15 0 79312 17m 17m S 2.5 60.0 2:25.53 rtorrent
              1679 gornea 16 0 2332 792 656 R 0.3 2.6 0:02.67 top
              1172 gornea 16 0 2916 252 196 S 0.2 0.8 0:07.61 screen
              1666 gornea 16 0 8244 1080 848 S 0.0 3.6 0:00.37 sshd
              1667 gornea 15 0 3424 1308 760 S 0.0 4.3 0:00.19 bash

              Razvan

              On 3/29/06, Ludo Sak <nslu2@...> wrote:

              > Hiho Sylver,
              >
              > Quite a description you gave there, but I will certainly try it out!
              > I would like to use Rtorrent for that, but that one is still not working
              > on
              > the slug for quite some months I am sad to say.
              > Python based as I do now, I can run at most 2 torrents before almost
              > freezing my slug.
              > I really am curious as to the performance of your solution. Thank you for
              > documenting it!
              > (Maybe you could make a howto on the Wiki pages)
              >
              > Ludo

            • Philip Pemberton
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 29, 2006
                In message <001001c652f9$288b7400$8201a8c0@...>
                "Ludo Sak" <nslu2@...> wrote:

                > Quite a description you gave there, but I will certainly try it out!
                > I would like to use Rtorrent for that, but that one is still not working on
                > the slug for quite some months I am sad to say.
                > Python based as I do now, I can run at most 2 torrents before almost
                > freezing my slug.
                > I really am curious as to the performance of your solution. Thank you for
                > documenting it!
                > (Maybe you could make a howto on the Wiki pages)

                I've installed Transmission, and I'm getting 0.32k/sec transfer rates from a
                very well-seeded torrent (117S:21P). Switching back to BitTornado gets me
                around 100K/sec (which is about the limit of my 1Mbit ADSL line).

                So back to the "slow, power-hungry python torrent client from hell" it seems
                :P

                Thanks.
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 29, 2006
                  I already got 800KB/s with Transmission !
                  It may be because of endian issues (common problem when compiling some
                  applications on the NSLU2)?
                  Can someone confirm the speed problem with Transmission on NSLU2 ?
                  BTW my patches are attached to a message in the torrentflux forum
                  (posted the link in my first message), but you need to register the
                  forum to see attached files !

                  Sylver
                  --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Philip Pemberton <philpem@...>
                  wrote:

                  > I've installed Transmission, and I'm getting 0.32k/sec transfer
                  rates from a
                  > very well-seeded torrent (117S:21P). Switching back to BitTornado
                  gets me
                  > around 100K/sec (which is about the limit of my 1Mbit ADSL line).
                  >
                  > So back to the "slow, power-hungry python torrent client from hell"
                  it seems
                  > :P
                  >
                  > Thanks.
                  > --
                  > Phil. | Kitsune: Acorn RiscPC SA202 64M+6G
                  ViewFinder
                  > philpem@... | Cheetah: Athlon64 3200+ A8VDeluxeV2 512M+100G
                  > http://www.philpem.me.uk/ | Tiger: Toshiba SatPro4600 Celeron700
                  256M+40G

                • ericv632
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 29, 2013
                    can't you update the info in your post ??
                    most links aren't available anymore...

                    or even better, make a ipkg package for this torrentflux version that uses transmission ???
                    would be greatly appreaciated...