Backup Disk 1 to Disk 2.....More questions sorry

  • g0pkh
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 23 2:51 PM
      Hello.

      Before I start, please let me introduce myself.
      My name is Pete.

      I am a total Linux newbie, so please bear with me.

      I have been using a slug for a couple of months now, and have
      unslung it with v5.5b, installed mt-daapd, and also "De-
      Underclocked" it following all the instructions on the Wiki.

      I has since been running just fine.

      I have just installed a second HDD, so now have 2 Lacie 250GB drives
      attached.

      Up until this time I have been backing the slug up to another NAS
      box I have.

      However now I wish to use the Disk 1 to Disk 2 backup process, but
      am getting rather confused. According to the Wiki, the backup should
      fail by completing immediately after it has started, and this should
      be fixed by installing RSYNC.
      Is this still required ?. My slug does appear to be backing up
      without this for some reason, although it did fail a few times with
      simply "Backup: Fail" written in the log.

      I do intend to install the fix if required, alongwith diversion
      script "Minor Bug" fix. This is where I am getting very confused,
      wher should I place the diversion script, and what should I call it ?

      Help would be appreciated.

      PS How do I clear the backup logs ?, are they likely to get larger
      and larger, or does some mechanism prevent this ?

      Regards

      Pete