2 Q's - USB memory stick on the extra INTERNAL USB ports? & Unslung firmware...

  • nettsr
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 20, 2006
      Posted to the nslu2-linux group earlier. I just noticed that there is
      actually nslu2-general as well and this post is more suited to this
      group...

      First question is... If I were to flash my Slug to the latest version
      of Unslung, would I need to format/modify/etc my current data drives?
      In other words, can I do JUST the Unslung firmware update and retain
      the current functionality of my Slug?

      Second question... When this device has the Unslung firmware
      installed, it's able to boot and load packages from one of the
      attached USB hard drives. The Slug also has support three more USB
      ports in hardware. It would be a simple matter of mounting a USB
      memory stick inside the unit, hardwired to one of the extra USB ports
      to add some permanent storage. What I'd like to know is - Could the
      NSLU2 boot from this memory stick, eliminating the need for ANY files
      other than user data on the USB drives?
    • Mike Westerhof
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 20, 2006
        Yes, you can just flash the NSLU2 with the Unslung firmware, and then not
        perform the "unsling" step (the step that actually moves the root filesystem
        to the external disk or flash drive). You will have no space worth
        mentioning to install any other software, so I wonder why one would do so
        (except perhaps as a means to log into the device - but there's very little
        that can be done beyond that since the space is so constrained).

        As for additional USB ports, it is AFAIK not known if Unslung can recognize
        the ports or any storage media plugged into those ports. Perhaps someone
        who has made that modification can try flashing with Unslung and see if it
        identifies the drive. I can say, however, that it is highly unlikely that
        Unslung would support unslinging to the extra device, as it's highly
        unlikely that the extra device would appear as /dev/sda or /dev/sdb.
        That's not to say it can't be changed, but it would likely require kernel
        mods to make it so. (But then again, maybe not -- who knows what will
        happen??)

        Mike (mwester)

        > Posted to the nslu2-linux group earlier. I just noticed that there is
        > actually nslu2-general as well and this post is more suited to this
        > group...
        >
        > First question is... If I were to flash my Slug to the latest version
        > of Unslung, would I need to format/modify/etc my current data drives?
        > In other words, can I do JUST the Unslung firmware update and retain
        > the current functionality of my Slug?
        >
        > Second question... When this device has the Unslung firmware
        > installed, it's able to boot and load packages from one of the
        > attached USB hard drives. The Slug also has support three more USB
        > ports in hardware. It would be a simple matter of mounting a USB
        > memory stick inside the unit, hardwired to one of the extra USB ports
        > to add some permanent storage. What I'd like to know is - Could the
        > NSLU2 boot from this memory stick, eliminating the need for ANY files
        > other than user data on the USB drives?

        internet business
        > Computer internet access Computer internet privacy securities
        Computer internet help

        Service.

        ------

      • nettsr
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 21, 2006
          I see. It's been a while since I did anything with Linux. I figured
          that a 1gig memory stick would hold enough to be useful. It would work
          as a swap drive at least.

          Basically, I don't like the idea of having the important stuff on a
          drive that could easily get messed up. Having it stored internally
          would have been ideal for me.

          Might even consider looking for some kind of USB microdrive for this.

          Thanks!

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Westerhof" <mwester@...>
          wrote:

          > Yes, you can just flash the NSLU2 with the Unslung firmware, and
          then not
          > perform the "unsling" step (the step that actually moves the root
          filesystem
          > to the external disk or flash drive). You will have no space worth
          > mentioning to install any other software, so I wonder why one would
          do so
          > (except perhaps as a means to log into the device - but there's very
          little
          > that can be done beyond that since the space is so constrained).
          >
          > As for additional USB ports, it is AFAIK not known if Unslung can
          recognize
          > the ports or any storage media plugged into those ports. Perhaps
          someone
          > who has made that modification can try flashing with Unslung and see
          if it
          > identifies the drive. I can say, however, that it is highly
          unlikely that
          > Unslung would support unslinging to the extra device, as it's highly
          > unlikely that the extra device would appear as /dev/sda or /dev/sdb.
          > That's not to say it can't be changed, but it would likely require
          kernel
          > mods to make it so. (But then again, maybe not -- who knows what will
          > happen??)
          >
          > Mike (mwester)

          INTERNAL USB
          > ports? & Unslung firmware...
          >

          > > Posted to the nslu2-linux group earlier. I just noticed that there is
          > > actually nslu2-general as well and this post is more suited to this
          > > group...
          > >
          > > First question is... If I were to flash my Slug to the latest version
          > > of Unslung, would I need to format/modify/etc my current data drives?
          > > In other words, can I do JUST the Unslung firmware update and retain
          > > the current functionality of my Slug?
          > >
          > > Second question... When this device has the Unslung firmware
          > > installed, it's able to boot and load packages from one of the
          > > attached USB hard drives. The Slug also has support three more USB
          > > ports in hardware. It would be a simple matter of mounting a USB
          > > memory stick inside the unit, hardwired to one of the extra USB ports
          > > to add some permanent storage. What I'd like to know is - Could the
          > > NSLU2 boot from this memory stick, eliminating the need for ANY files
          > > other than user data on the USB drives?

          [advertising trimmed by moderator - please trim your own messages]