Non-formatted (by nslu2) partition not seen...

  • bill suit
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 19, 2006
      Working my way toward an "unslung" arrangement.
      Currently, stock nslu2 (slug) v2.3R63 firmware. Have
      read/searched till I'm 'bout blind :>), but haven't
      seen this addressed.

      I have a usb sata 160 gig externel hd. On it the first
      partition is a m$ formatted FAT32 30 gig primary
      partition that I use to back up my wife's xp data. The
      second partition, is a primary 130 gig. I had the
      second partition originally formatted as a reiser3.6
      with numerous mp3s on it. My readings on the slug
      indicated it liked Fat32s and ext3s. So, backed up the
      mp3s and reformatted to ext3 (the second partition).

      Ran setup on the slug, without running the formatting
      option, and rebooted with the usb hd connected to the
      disk 1 position. All it saw was the 1st partition
      (Fat32). Tried several other things, but never saw
      anythig but the 1st partition.

      If I move the Fat32 to partition #2 and move the ext3
      to partition #1, will the slug then still see the 1st
      partition (ext3)? I'm willing to format that with the
      slug, but not the Fat32 partition.

      Is there anything I can do to keep the Fat32 partition
      and also format the ext3 with the slug, so that
      everybody's happy?

      Appreciate any insight you might shed on this.

      TIA,
      Bill

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Mike Westerhof
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 20, 2006
        Bill,
        Perhaps the following articles in the wiki can shed some light on the
        requirements the NSLU2 and the R63 firmware have in terms of disk
        formatting. Basically, the behavior of your NSLU2 is correct; it does
        recognize an "ext3" partition on a drive:

        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/R63DiskBehaviour

        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/StorageBasics

        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/WhichUSBPortforUnslung6

        The above is specific to Unslung 6.x (which can currently be built from
        the sources, but if luck is on our side soon, a binary release will be
        arriving soon).

        There is a possibility, but not documented, that if you "adjust" a drive
        that is natively formatted by the NSLU2 such that you decrease the first
        partition size, shift the 2nd and 3rd partitions over, and create a 4th
        FAT32 partition in the now-available space on the end of the drive, you
        might be able to get what you wish. However, you cannot hot-plug a
        natively-formatted drive (it will crash the NSLU2). Actually, you shouldn't
        hot-plug any drives...

        Hope that helps a bit...

        Mike (mwester)

        > Working my way toward an "unslung" arrangement.
        > Currently, stock nslu2 (slug) v2.3R63 firmware. Have
        > read/searched till I'm 'bout blind :>), but haven't
        > seen this addressed.
        >
        > I have a usb sata 160 gig externel hd. On it the first
        > partition is a m$ formatted FAT32 30 gig primary
        > partition that I use to back up my wife's xp data. The
        > second partition, is a primary 130 gig. I had the
        > second partition originally formatted as a reiser3.6
        > with numerous mp3s on it. My readings on the slug
        > indicated it liked Fat32s and ext3s. So, backed up the
        > mp3s and reformatted to ext3 (the second partition).
        >
        > Ran setup on the slug, without running the formatting
        > option, and rebooted with the usb hd connected to the
        > disk 1 position. All it saw was the 1st partition
        > (Fat32). Tried several other things, but never saw
        > anythig but the 1st partition.
        >
        > If I move the Fat32 to partition #2 and move the ext3
        > to partition #1, will the slug then still see the 1st
        > partition (ext3)? I'm willing to format that with the
        > slug, but not the Fat32 partition.
        >
        > Is there anything I can do to keep the Fat32 partition
        > and also format the ext3 with the slug, so that
        > everybody's happy?
        >
        > Appreciate any insight you might shed on this.
        >
        > TIA,
        > Bill

        > http://mail.yahoo.com

        internet business
        > Computer internet access Computer internet privacy securities
        Computer internet help

        Service.

        ------

      • Marcel Nijenhof
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 20, 2006
          On Sun, 2006-03-19 at 20:03 -0800, bill suit wrote:

          > I have a usb sata 160 gig externel hd. On it the first
          > partition is a m$ formatted FAT32 30 gig primary
          > partition that I use to back up my wife's xp data. The
          > second partition, is a primary 130 gig. I had the
          > second partition originally formatted as a reiser3.6
          > with numerous mp3s on it. My readings on the slug
          > indicated it liked Fat32s and ext3s. So, backed up the
          > mp3s and reformatted to ext3 (the second partition).

          The root disk has to be formatted the way the linksys
          software wants. That is:
          Partition one:
          Data (ext3, rest of the disk)
          Partition two:
          Conf (ext3, 128 mb)
          Partition three:
          Swap (swap, 64 mb)

          > Is there anything I can do to keep the Fat32 partition
          > and also format the ext3 with the slug, so that
          > everybody's happy?

          1) Run openslug or something like that
          2) Hack the startup scripts so that it recognizes your setup
          3) Use a flash drive as root drive
          4) Backup the windows files over the network. In that way
          you don't need the fat partition.

          Marceln
        • bill suit
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 20, 2006
            --- Mike Westerhof <mwester@...> wrote:

            > Bill,
            > Perhaps the following articles in the wiki can
            > shed some light on the
            > requirements the NSLU2 and the R63 firmware have in
            > terms of disk
            > formatting. Basically, the behavior of your NSLU2
            > is correct; it does
            > recognize an "ext3" partition on a drive:

            http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/R63DiskBehaviour

            http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/StorageBasics

            http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/WhichUSBPortforUnslung6

            Thanks for the direction Mike. I had looked at two of
            the three. I skipped the StorageBasics initially as I
            thought I had a pretty good handle on storage in
            general. Looked at it today. It gave me some good
            specific slug info. I've pretty much ruled out using
            the Unslung 6.x firmware at this time. I'd prefer a
            stable release (5.5) to get my feet wet with Unslung.

            @Marcel - I've decided to use your #4 option, which
            is:

            4) Backup the windows files over the network. In that
            way you don't need the fat partition.

            I've done that and will now let the slug format the
            usb drive.

            Thank to both of you for your help. Bill

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Doogles Eh
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 21, 2006
              About hot-plugging drives :

              All of the linksys docs said it was not supported.

              However, when doing the unslung upgrade, it is *required* to hot-plug the
              drive in order to install packages while still being root, etc.

              Does anyone know what, exactly, is the situation with hot-plugging?

              I don't plan to do it except for upgrades ...

              Thanks,

              DouglasW

            • Mike Westerhof
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 22, 2006
                Hotplugging is not supported because it might damage the filesystem on the
                drives. Unslung makes this even more likely than the R63 firmware because
                Unslung runs from the drive instead of the internal flash.

                The install procedure has one hot-plug a drive once, and only for the
                "insert" event -- this is safe because we know exactly what will happen when
                this is done.

                Any other hot-plug events can result in damaged filesystems.

                There are those who might argue that if one umounts the filesystems, and
                performs the swapoff command if appropriate, it is not possible to damage a
                filesystem by unplugging a USB drive. That might be true, but I'm certainly
                not willing to bet my data on the cheap-and-sloppy-USB chipsets in the USB
                disk enclosures! The exception is that I might be willing to umount a
                flash memory device -- the filesystem on those is FAT which is simple enough
                to repair if damaged, they typically have very little data in the first
                place, it's usually not data that's critical to the running of the system,
                and Linksys provides a utility that runs on my PC that allows me to easily
                "umount" the flash device without having to SSH into the NSLU2 to do so.

                Mike (mwester)