Re: [nslu2-general] Re: HDD Spinning - Maxtor One Touch

  • Tim Lewis
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 4, 2004
      bart_unlimited wrote:

      > Is your drive connected as disk 1 or 2? Only disk 2 spinns down with
      > my unit. Every time disk 1 is about to spinn down, the NSLU2
      > reads/writes to it (even when disconnected from the network).

      I have one on each, actually.

      Are you unslung? If so, how many services are you running off
      the drive? A running service like dropbear, for instance, can
      keep the drive spinning all the time.

      If you shut down all services, the drive will eventually spin
      down. Note that the Linksys firmware doesn't have this issue,
      since everything is in flash.

      - Tim
    • bart_unlimited
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 8, 2004
        Thanks Tim. Dropbear will be the reason then. Is there a way to
        prevent services to interfering with the spinning down? I am thinking
        of a script that copies the program data into a ramdisk and runs it
        from there.

        By the way; is the standard webserver on which the Linksys User
        interface is running still running from RAM?

        Cheers, Bart