Re: Problems starting up the slug

  • h8dc
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 9, 2006
      I've had this problem. One of my slugs does the same thing from
      time to time. Either it hangs with the orange status LED and
      ethernet LED on or with just the ethernet LED on. It's my
      music/video slug so I had some concern about data loss. It's
      usually up all the time, but on a couple occasions it will hang when
      I have to reboot it for some reason. I don't know the cause but, in
      my experience, I've learned not to worry about it. I've never
      experienced a failure or data loss. When it hangs, I usually get it
      back up faster by turning the power off to the slug AND all attached
      disks for a couple minutes; turn the disks back on and let them
      settle down, then turn the slug on. Rebooting the slug without
      refreshing the disks usually leaves me with just a hung slug. :-)

      Peace of mind comes with frequent backups! :-)

      Take care.

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "zupidupi"
      <mikael.eriksson@...> wrote:

      > My problem is that every now and then only the Ethernet-light turns
      > green when I power up the slug, then nothing happens. I have to
      > disconnect the power cable to shut the thing down, then try the
      power
      > button again, 'til the proper boot sequence is entered.
      >
      > This doesn't happen all the time, just sporadically, and usually I
      > have to restart the slug several times before everything is OK. The
      > behavior doesn't seem too healthy to me, and I'm worried about
      > damaging the toy.
      >
      > Has anybode else had this happening? And is there anything to
      worry about?

      > Wonders a concerned
      >
      > Zup

    • Alex Mayorga Adame
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 18, 2006
        wrote:

        > Hi folks,
        >
        > I'm having a small, irritating problem with my slug. When I turn it on
        > it's supposed to light up an orange light next to the
        > Ready/Status-text, right. Then the Ethernet-light goes green, and the
        > boot process starts running.
        >
        > Has anybode else had this happening? And is there anything to worry
        about?

        I've seen that on my two days old NSLU2 (orange steady ready/status
        LED, green semi steady Ethernet LED), called Linksys support right
        away and was told to RMA the thing. It may be a real bugger, but I
        refrained to mail it back instantly. So I went on an installed the
        unslung firmware on it, everything looks fine now and I hadn't seen
        the behavior and the NSLU2 is now working fine (knock on wood).

        Would be good to try call/chat Linksys to see if they officially RMA
        the NSLU2 showing that behavior and why they do so. I'm outside US so
        it would be a real pain to get a replacement, I would do it anyway if
        we can confirm this is a dangerous situation for our toy.

        If you call/chat please keep me posted on an "official" answer.

        Regards,
        Alex
      • zupidupi
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 20, 2006
          Ho, hum...I guess I shoulda thought of calling support immediately but
          I was eager to start playing with the toy. Now it's Unslung and
          turbo'd up, so I'm afraid they won't change it even if I could prove
          all kinds of factory faults :( But, of course I could try to call them
          up...I'll keep you informed on any possible outcome. And, yeah, I'm
          outside US, too!

          Cheerio,

          Zup

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Mayorga Adame"
          <alex_mayorga@...> wrote:

          > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "zupidupi" <mikael.eriksson@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi folks,
          > >
          > > I'm having a small, irritating problem with my slug. When I turn it on
          > > it's supposed to light up an orange light next to the
          > > Ready/Status-text, right. Then the Ethernet-light goes green, and the
          > > boot process starts running.
          > >
          > > Has anybode else had this happening? And is there anything to worry
          > about?
          >
          > I've seen that on my two days old NSLU2 (orange steady ready/status
          > LED, green semi steady Ethernet LED), called Linksys support right
          > away and was told to RMA the thing. It may be a real bugger, but I
          > refrained to mail it back instantly. So I went on an installed the
          > unslung firmware on it, everything looks fine now and I hadn't seen
          > the behavior and the NSLU2 is now working fine (knock on wood).
          >
          > Would be good to try call/chat Linksys to see if they officially RMA
          > the NSLU2 showing that behavior and why they do so. I'm outside US so
          > it would be a real pain to get a replacement, I would do it anyway if
          > we can confirm this is a dangerous situation for our toy.
          >
          > If you call/chat please keep me posted on an "official" answer.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Alex

        • Alex Mayorga Adame
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 25, 2006
            Zup,

            I'll really appreciate the time you'll take to call them. I've started
            to suspect on the specific router I've plugged the NSLU2 to.

            Please keep us posted.

            Best regards,
            Alex