Reset DHCP back to static 192.168.1.77 - Does Linksys' reset procedure work?

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 9, 2006
      Yes, I have read the FAQ thoroughly. Yes, I have searched google and
      the NSLU2 wiki. Yes, I have tried in #nslu2-general, where I was
      asked If I've read the FAQ. Yes, I have read the FAQ thoroughly.

      I've just today gotten an NSLU2, and the first thing I did was use
      Linksys' own utility to change it to DHCP (unwisely, as it seems
      unable to get an IP).

      All I want to do is go back to the out-of-the-box 192.168.1.77.

      Linksys' manual says that this can be done by pressing reset for two
      seconds.

      1. Do they mean while it's off, or while it's on?
      2. If on, when exactly? Any certain point during bootup, or after
      it's done and starts the failed-DHCP double beeps?
      3. Should I expect to see or hear anything after two seconds?
      Linksys says I should hear a beep, but I hear none. Should I just
      count?

      Thank you so much,
      Chris
    • pbogaar
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 18, 2006
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <yahoogroups@...>
        wrote:

        > Yes, I have read the FAQ thoroughly. Yes, I have searched google
        and
        > the NSLU2 wiki. Yes, I have tried in #nslu2-general, where I was
        > asked If I've read the FAQ. Yes, I have read the FAQ thoroughly.
        >
        > I've just today gotten an NSLU2, and the first thing I did was use
        > Linksys' own utility to change it to DHCP (unwisely, as it seems
        > unable to get an IP).

        Please be aware that your firewall does not prevent access to the
        NSLU2. Try to disable the firewall and see what happens.

        > All I want to do is go back to the out-of-the-box 192.168.1.77.
        >
        > Linksys' manual says that this can be done by pressing reset for
        two
        > seconds.
        >
        > 1. Do they mean while it's off, or while it's on?
        > 2. If on, when exactly? Any certain point during bootup, or after
        > it's done and starts the failed-DHCP double beeps?
        > 3. Should I expect to see or hear anything after two seconds?
        > Linksys says I should hear a beep, but I hear none. Should I just
        > count?
        >
        > Thank you so much,
        > Chris

        While the NSLU2 is switched on, push the reset button for several
        seconds. After a few seconds you hear a beep. The hole of the reset
        button is small, so use a thin object, else the button is not pushed
        at all!
      • Doogles Eh
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 18, 2006
          I used a paper clip to push reset.

          I had to do this a few times while bringing up my slug.

          I had actually tried to get the stock linksys ftp srvr running first, and
          had placed some support calls to linksys.

          There, they suggested holding down reset for *60 seconds*.

          In the manual, it says you'll get a beep after two seconds, and another
          after 10.

          I think the first resets to static IP, and the second resets pwds (?).

          In any case, it can't hurt to hold down the reset for a while to see if it
          fixes your problem.

          - DouglasW

          [excess header info removed by moderator - please trim excess info from your messages]