Re: [nslu2-general] /Management/telnet.cgi 404

  • Hobbes
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 6, 2006
      Yes, Linksys removed this in V2.3R63. Revert back to R29.

      gkim420 <gkim420@...> wrote: Hi all,

      I just got my NSLU2 last week and have removed the R83 resistor to
      remove the underclocking of the CPU. It's up and running but I wanted
      to verify that this took by telneting in and checking /proc/cpuinfo.

      I followed the instructions at
      http://www.batbox.org/LinksysNSLU2TelnetAccess.html and changed the
      root password, but it then tells me to access /Management/telnet.cgi
      in the UI to turn on the telnet daemon. However, when I do I get a 404
      File Not Found.

      Did Linksys remove this in V2.3R63? Has anyone found a way around this
      yet? I'm downloading the source code right now but was hoping someone
      had already run into this and come up with a work around.

      Thanks!

      Computer internet security Firmware development Computer internet business Computer internet access Computer internet privacy securities Computer internet help

      ---------------------------------

    • rvanderh3
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 28, 2006
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Hobbes <evil_hobbes@...> wrote:

        > Yes, Linksys removed this in V2.3R63. Revert back to R29.

        Can somebody point me to a place where I can found the R29 firmware.
        At the linksys site I don't find it.

        Thx, Rik
      • rvanderh3
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 28, 2006
          I was not able to format my usb stick in R63. The
          TroubleshootADriveMissingCondition howto told me I should use the
          telnet interface to format it. But this is not working in R63 version.
          Somebody told me to downgrade to R29, but where can I find this ? I
          attached a usb hdd which was recognized in R63 and could be formatted.
          So I flashed unslung and found in the new webinterface I could format
          my flash disk. so far so good.

          I stick at point 3 of the unslung binary readme. All disks are
          disconnected and i was told to telnet to the slug.
          $ telnet 192.168.1.77
          Trying 192.168.1.77...
          Connected to 192.168.1.77.
          Escape character is '^]'.

          <I pushed '^][enter]'>

          telnet >

          <thought I had to login with root uNSLUng ?>
          <typed 'help'>
          Commands may be abbreviated. Commands are:

          close close current connection
          logout forcibly logout remote user and close the connection
          display display operating parameters
          mode try to enter line or character mode ('mode ?' for more)
          open connect to a site
          quit exit telnet
          send transmit special characters ('send ?' for more)
          set set operating parameters ('set ?' for more)
          unset unset operating parameters ('unset ?' for more)
          status print status information
          toggle toggle operating parameters ('toggle ?' for more)
          slc set treatment of special characters

          z suspend telnet
          environ change environment variables ('environ ?' for more)

          <I typed '/sbin/unsling disk1', although no disks attached>

          ?Invalid command

          Anybody a hint how I can read de readme better ?
        • Gerald L. Clark
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 29, 2006
            rvanderh3 wrote:
            > I was not able to format my usb stick in R63. The
            > TroubleshootADriveMissingCondition howto told me I should use the
            > telnet interface to format it. But this is not working in R63 version.
            > Somebody told me to downgrade to R29, but where can I find this ? I
            > attached a usb hdd which was recognized in R63 and could be formatted.
            > So I flashed unslung and found in the new webinterface I could format
            > my flash disk. so far so good.
            >
            > I stick at point 3 of the unslung binary readme. All disks are
            > disconnected and i was told to telnet to the slug.
            > $ telnet 192.168.1.77
            > Trying 192.168.1.77...
            > Connected to 192.168.1.77.
            > Escape character is '^]'.
            >
            > <I pushed '^][enter]'>
            Don't do that. That exits the telnet session and brings you back to
            command mode.
            Wait for the login prompt.

            > telnet >
          • rvanderh3
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 29, 2006
              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald L. Clark"
              <gerald_clark@...> wrote:

              > rvanderh3 wrote:

              > > $ telnet 192.168.1.77
              > > Trying 192.168.1.77...
              > > Connected to 192.168.1.77.
              > > Escape character is '^]'.
              > >
              > > <I pushed '^][enter]'>
              > Don't do that. That exits the telnet session and brings you back to
              > command mode.
              > Wait for the login prompt.
              Thanks. I did that ... for one hour. On return still no login prompt,
              only 'Connection closed by foreign host.'
            • Mike (mwester)
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 29, 2006
                So it sounds like telnet is not responding - without disks attached.
                (Downgrading to R29 will not solve this problem)

                First (and I apologize if these are obvious questions):

                - Is 192.168.1.77 the address of your NSLU2? (Is that the address that reaches the Web GUI?)

                - The disks and flash cards were disconnected, and the NSLU2 booted up from a power-off state (the NSLU2 does not support hot-plug, and unplugging natively-formatted drives while it is running will confuse it)?

                - What actions have been performed up til now? It sounds like you have been able to reach the web interface - does it still function even though telnet does not?

                - Does the /Management/telnet.cgi page still come up? And if so, what status does it provide for the "Current telnet service status:" ?

                Mike (mwester)

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 29, 2006
                  Thanks for replying.

                  > - Is 192.168.1.77 the address of your NSLU2? (Is that the address
                  that reaches the Web GUI?)
                  double checked that. Yes 192.168.1.77 is the ip-adress of the slug.

                  > - The disks and flash cards were disconnected, and the NSLU2 booted
                  up from a power-off state (the NSLU2 does not support hot-plug, and
                  unplugging natively-formatted drives while it is running will confuse it)?
                  I did follow alle instructions in the readme. But now that you tell, I
                  am not completely sure if i had the proper order (shutdown slug,
                  unplug disks) in step 5 of firmware installation process. If this is
                  the problem, I probably should flash again.

                  > - What actions have been performed up til now? It sounds like you
                  have been able to reach the web interface - does it still function
                  even though telnet does not?
                  The webinterface is running as expected. I can ping to the slug as
                  long as it is connected.

                  > - Does the /Management/telnet.cgi page still come up? And if so,
                  what status does it provide for the "Current telnet service status:" ?
                  At startup it is status 'disabled'. If I telnet to the plug then it
                  barks 'connection refused'. if i set the telnet.cgi status to enabled
                  I get
                  Connected to 192.168.1.77.
                  Escape character is '^]'.
                  (but no login)

                  I don't know what experiments I could do more, except flashing again
                  and three double check my steps.
                • Mike (mwester)
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 29, 2006
                    I would tend to agree that starting over would make the most sense.
                    I cannot know what has gone wrong.

                    In order to do so, you will need to reflash. Note that you cannot use
                    the Web GUI to reflash, use RedBoot instead. Here's the sequence
                    that should work:

                    1) Turn off the NSLU2
                    2) Hold down the reset button, and turn on the NSLU2 while holding
                    down the reset button
                    3) Keep the reset button depressed for 10 seconds
                    4) You should see the Ready/Status light turn to solid red.
                    5) Release the reset button
                    6) Wait for the Ready/Status light to blink between red and green.

                    The NSLU2 is now in upgrade mode.

                    Now you can run the SerComm utility on your PC, and use
                    that the select the Unslung 6.8 firmware and upgrade.

                    Once complete, let the NSLU2 boot up. Do NOT plug in any disks.
                    Check with your Web browser that you can read the GUI. Using the
                    GUI, enable telnet.

                    Telnet should give you a login: prompt, login is as root with password
                    "uNSLUng".

                    That should get you started again.

                    Mike (mwester)

                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 29, 2006
                      Thanks for folowing me. I did the reflash with upslug2. But it was for
                      nothing. Found out what the problem was. I didn't configure things
                      right on my router, pc and slug where on different subroutes. Router
                      didn't take over the ip I gave the slug. I killed slug on my router,
                      restarted both. Looks like slug is definitely lost from my router, but
                      i can still ping to the slug and i even can telnet and get my long
                      lasting password.

                      Well let's go up to the next problem ;)
                    • rvanderh3
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 3 12:33 PM
                        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "rvanderh3" <rvanderh@...> wrote:

                        > Well let's go up to the next problem ;)

                        Next problem was not to far. At this moment my router, pc and slug are
                        in the route 10.0.0.x. Slug subnet is 255.255.255.0.

                        I can telnet from pc into the slug. From the slug I can ping to pc and
                        router. But even when I put the firewall on the router to 'disabled' I
                        can't ping to the outside world.

                        I red in IpkgUpdateDoesntWork that I should use 192.168.1.1. as my
                        router ip and 192.168.1.77 as my slug ip. Well I could do that, but I
                        am a bit afraid I will loose contact with my router during this
                        process. And even more important ... I don't like doing things I don't
                        understand why. So maybe someone could confirm (and hopefully even
                        explain) that I should point the slug to 192.168.1.77 ?

                        Thx, rik
                      • rvanderh3
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 3 2:58 PM
                          Okay. Changed the ipsettings of the slug to 192.168.1.77 and the rest
                          of the network to 192.168.1.x. Lost the slug and my router, but after
                          some hazzle found it back and .... now I can reach the internet from
                          the slug :)