Re: [nslu2-general] root password editing xxxxx help

  • Mike Westerhof
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 4, 2006
      "...so I didn't, thinking I could do it later." <--- Famous last words for
      many, many NSLU2 unslingers who skipped a step or didn't follow the README
      precisely!! :-)

      But fear not, all is not lost.

      First, you use the "passwd" utility to change the password, you won't be
      able to do so with a text editor. (Well, ok, so you'll be able to change
      the encrypted string that represents the password, but that isn't what
      you're intending to do!).

      So, boot up the NSLU2 without disks, and log in once again. After you have
      logged in, then attach the disk drive to the running NSLU2. Wait until the
      Web GUI tells you that the drive is available.

      At that point, you can use the "passwd" command to change your password, and
      then copy the new password file into place:

      cp /etc/passwd /share/hdd/conf/passwd

      Reboot, and all should be well.

      (BTW, this should be covered on the wiki at
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/ChangePasswordsFromTheCommandLine but
      after reading it, I guess I'm not sure that it does so very clearly. If you
      would be so kind as to read that article, and update it for others who may
      also skip the same step in the README, it would be greatly appreciated!

      Mike (mwester)