root password editing xxxxx help

  • jarold0
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 4, 2006
      Hi all,

      Just got my slug (finally! - had to chase it round the country a bit -
      what a picture!)

      I've unslung it bit couldn't get the hang of editing the password.

      Installation instructions for 5.5 say:-

      "change the file /share/hdd/conf/passwd as soon as you unsling to an
      external disk, before you exit the telnet session that you are using
      to unsling to the disk."

      When I looked at the file it contained a lot of lines & it wasn't
      clear which to change, so I didn't thinking I could do it later.

      I've rebooted without a hard disk so I can copy & paste the file here
      for your advice but it isn't there anymore!

      Is this because I've unslung? Am I now in a catch-22: I need to log
      on as root to edit the password file with a hard disk attached but I
      can'tr cos with a hard disk attached the root password is no longer
      uNSLUng?

      Or is it all much simpler than that?

      Please help!
    • Mike Westerhof
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 4, 2006
        "...so I didn't, thinking I could do it later." <--- Famous last words for
        many, many NSLU2 unslingers who skipped a step or didn't follow the README
        precisely!! :-)

        But fear not, all is not lost.

        First, you use the "passwd" utility to change the password, you won't be
        able to do so with a text editor. (Well, ok, so you'll be able to change
        the encrypted string that represents the password, but that isn't what
        you're intending to do!).

        So, boot up the NSLU2 without disks, and log in once again. After you have
        logged in, then attach the disk drive to the running NSLU2. Wait until the
        Web GUI tells you that the drive is available.

        At that point, you can use the "passwd" command to change your password, and
        then copy the new password file into place:

        cp /etc/passwd /share/hdd/conf/passwd

        Reboot, and all should be well.

        (BTW, this should be covered on the wiki at
        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/ChangePasswordsFromTheCommandLine but
        after reading it, I guess I'm not sure that it does so very clearly. If you
        would be so kind as to read that article, and update it for others who may
        also skip the same step in the README, it would be greatly appreciated!

        Mike (mwester)

        > Just got my slug (finally! - had to chase it round the country a bit -
        > what a picture!)
        >
        > I've unslung it bit couldn't get the hang of editing the password.
        >
        > Installation instructions for 5.5 say:-
        >
        > "change the file /share/hdd/conf/passwd as soon as you unsling to an
        > external disk, before you exit the telnet session that you are using
        > to unsling to the disk."
        >
        > When I looked at the file it contained a lot of lines & it wasn't
        > clear which to change, so I didn't thinking I could do it later.
        >
        > I've rebooted without a hard disk so I can copy & paste the file here
        > for your advice but it isn't there anymore!
        >
        > Is this because I've unslung? Am I now in a catch-22: I need to log
        > on as root to edit the password file with a hard disk attached but I
        > can'tr cos with a hard disk attached the root password is no longer
        > uNSLUng?
        >
        > Or is it all much simpler than that?
        >
        > Please help!

        internet business
        > Computer internet access Computer internet privacy securities
        Computer internet help

        Service.