Re: Newbie Q: Why can't I cd into init.d (busy adding a usb-printer)

  • Mark de Vries
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 2006
      Robert,

      Replying through the nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com e-mail address, as I
      cannot find the message on the site yet.

      See below snippet
      ===
      BusyBox v0.60.4 (2004.07.01-03:05+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
      Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

      # cd /opt/etc
      # pwd
      /opt/etc
      # ls -l
      drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Mar 2 13:10 cups
      -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 460 Mar 2 15:48 init.d
      ===

      Searching the Internet I see that it isn's a directory, so that solves the
      cd problem (I guess), but then I stumble into a next problem:

      The HowTo (AddPrinter HowTo
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddPrinter) says:
      "After installation, you will have to copy /opt/doc/cups/S88cups to
      /opt/etc/init.d and run the file. Go to /opt/etc/init.d and type: sh
      S88cups."

      Could you help me further there?

      Kind regards,
      Mark de Vries

      Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 23:21:57 +0000
      From: Robert Hammond <rob.hammond@...>
      Subject: Re: Newbie Q: Why can't I cd into init.d (busy adding a
      usb-printer)

      In message <du73l3+2m31@...>, mj_de_vries <devries.mark@...>
      writes
      >Hi all,
      >
      >I just unslug my NSLU2 this week with the purpose to attach a USB
      >printer to it. I was following the instructions of the HowTo -
      >AddPrinter page just happily when I hit a dead wall. When trying to cd
      >into init.d (in /opt/etc) I got an error message.
      >Below a few lines of telnet output
      >
      ># pwd
      >/opt/etc
      ># ls
      >cups init.d
      ># cd init.d
      >cd: can't cd to init.d
      >
      >Am I using the wrong command (couldn't find an alternative on
      >internet) or do I have to change a setting somwhere (or attributes of
      >init.d)?

      Navigate to /opt/etc
      Then do ls -l
      and see if the init.d entry is a directory, and report back your findings.
      --
      Robert Hammond
      PGP:0x154144DA