Re: [nslu2-general] Newbie Q: Why can't I cd into init.d (busy adding a usb-printer)

  • Robert Hammond
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2006
      In message <du73l3+2m31@...>, mj_de_vries
      <devries.mark@...> writes
      >Hi all,
      >
      >I just unslug my NSLU2 this week with the purpose to attach a USB
      >printer to it. I was following the instructions of the HowTo -
      >AddPrinter page just happily when I hit a dead wall. When trying to cd
      >into init.d (in /opt/etc) I got an error message.
      >Below a few lines of telnet output
      >
      ># pwd
      >/opt/etc
      ># ls
      >cups init.d
      ># cd init.d
      >cd: can't cd to init.d
      >
      >Am I using the wrong command (couldn't find an alternative on
      >internet) or do I have to change a setting somwhere (or attributes of
      >init.d)?

      Navigate to /opt/etc
      Then do ls -l
      and see if the init.d entry is a directory, and report back your
      findings.
      --
      Robert Hammond
      PGP:0x154144DA
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2006
        Robert,

        Replying through the nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com e-mail address, as I
        cannot find the message on the site yet.

        See below snippet
        ===
        BusyBox v0.60.4 (2004.07.01-03:05+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
        Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

        # cd /opt/etc
        # pwd
        /opt/etc
        # ls -l
        drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Mar 2 13:10 cups
        -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 460 Mar 2 15:48 init.d
        ===

        Searching the Internet I see that it isn's a directory, so that solves the
        cd problem (I guess), but then I stumble into a next problem:

        The HowTo (AddPrinter HowTo
        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddPrinter) says:
        "After installation, you will have to copy /opt/doc/cups/S88cups to
        /opt/etc/init.d and run the file. Go to /opt/etc/init.d and type: sh
        S88cups."

        Could you help me further there?

        Kind regards,
        Mark de Vries