Newbie Q: Why can't I cd into init.d (busy adding a usb-printer)

  • mj_de_vries
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2006
      Hi all,

      I just unslug my NSLU2 this week with the purpose to attach a USB
      printer to it. I was following the instructions of the HowTo -
      AddPrinter page just happily when I hit a dead wall. When trying to cd
      into init.d (in /opt/etc) I got an error message.
      Below a few lines of telnet output

      # pwd
      /opt/etc
      # ls
      cups init.d
      # cd init.d
      cd: can't cd to init.d

      Am I using the wrong command (couldn't find an alternative on
      internet) or do I have to change a setting somwhere (or attributes of
      init.d)?

      I'm stuck!

      Greetings,

      Mark de Vries
    • Robert Hammond
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2006
        In message <du73l3+2m31@...>, mj_de_vries
        <devries.mark@...> writes
        >Hi all,
        >
        >I just unslug my NSLU2 this week with the purpose to attach a USB
        >printer to it. I was following the instructions of the HowTo -
        >AddPrinter page just happily when I hit a dead wall. When trying to cd
        >into init.d (in /opt/etc) I got an error message.
        >Below a few lines of telnet output
        >
        ># pwd
        >/opt/etc
        ># ls
        >cups init.d
        ># cd init.d
        >cd: can't cd to init.d
        >
        >Am I using the wrong command (couldn't find an alternative on
        >internet) or do I have to change a setting somwhere (or attributes of
        >init.d)?

        Navigate to /opt/etc
        Then do ls -l
        and see if the init.d entry is a directory, and report back your
        findings.
        --
        Robert Hammond
        PGP:0x154144DA
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 3, 2006
          Robert,

          Replying through the nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com e-mail address, as I
          cannot find the message on the site yet.

          See below snippet
          ===
          BusyBox v0.60.4 (2004.07.01-03:05+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
          Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

          # cd /opt/etc
          # pwd
          /opt/etc
          # ls -l
          drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Mar 2 13:10 cups
          -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 460 Mar 2 15:48 init.d
          ===

          Searching the Internet I see that it isn's a directory, so that solves the
          cd problem (I guess), but then I stumble into a next problem:

          The HowTo (AddPrinter HowTo
          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddPrinter) says:
          "After installation, you will have to copy /opt/doc/cups/S88cups to
          /opt/etc/init.d and run the file. Go to /opt/etc/init.d and type: sh
          S88cups."

          Could you help me further there?

          Kind regards,
          Mark de Vries