Re: Problem with 250 GB with unlsung...

  • Roger Shepherd
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 28, 2006
      Will,

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Hobbes <evil_hobbes@...> wrote:

      > I'm having trouble formatting the full 250 GB hard drive.
      > It is attached to DISK2, and when the linksys utility formats the
      drive, only 128 GB is actually used. Is this a problem with the
      hardware not being able to recognize this? Or if I revert back to
      the original linksys firmware, will that fix it?

      I've just gotten my NSLU2 and have started to work with it.
      I've just had a similar problem with a 250 GB drive; I got
      it into a bad state when I tried a disk-to-disk backup after
      I'd unslung the slug - yes, I *now* know this a documented
      feature of the 5.5 firmware. I failed to get the disk to
      format properly using the buttons on the web intreface, and
      using fsck.ext3 (started and then said "killed" - a Linux
      guru tells me this would be an "out of memory" problem?).
      I tried removing all partition information using Win XP and
      still could not format under 5.5.

      I reverted to Linksys 63 and formatted the drive OK. I'm
      now re-unslung and things are OK.

      Roger
    • Hobbes
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2006
        Roger,

        After much fiddling, I came across the same solution last night. Things are fine and dandy now. However I did run into a small problem of NSLU2 not seeing a flash drive in disk2 and the 250 GB in disk1. Swapping the two seemed to have worked. Oh well.

        Will

        Roger Shepherd <rog@...> wrote: Will,

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Hobbes <evil_hobbes@...> wrote:

        > I'm having trouble formatting the full 250 GB hard drive.
        > It is attached to DISK2, and when the linksys utility formats the
        drive, only 128 GB is actually used. Is this a problem with the
        hardware not being able to recognize this? Or if I revert back to
        the original linksys firmware, will that fix it?

        I've just gotten my NSLU2 and have started to work with it.
        I've just had a similar problem with a 250 GB drive; I got
        it into a bad state when I tried a disk-to-disk backup after
        I'd unslung the slug - yes, I *now* know this a documented
        feature of the 5.5 firmware. I failed to get the disk to
        format properly using the buttons on the web intreface, and
        using fsck.ext3 (started and then said "killed" - a Linux
        guru tells me this would be an "out of memory" problem?).
        I tried removing all partition information using Win XP and
        still could not format under 5.5.

        I reverted to Linksys 63 and formatted the drive OK. I'm
        now re-unslung and things are OK.

        Roger

        Computer internet security Firmware development Computer internet business Computer internet access Computer internet privacy securities Computer internet help