Re: [nslu2-general] Newbie - Help - NTFS Subdirectory entries upper limit?

  • nslu2@pion.xs4all.nl
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 25, 2006
      On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 02:58:46AM -0000, jackmack32256 wrote:

      > My new NSLU2, (uploaded firmware version: V2.3R63) works flawlessly for
      > my purposes except for this serious bug:
      >
      > If I attach
      > 1) any of my external hard drives
      > 2) previously formatted NTFS under XP
      > 3) and previously loaded with data under XP
      > 4) and some folders contain a large number of files (40,000)
      > then...
      > I can see all folders on all my disks except those described in 4)
      > above.
      >
      > Does the NSLU2 have an upper limit on the number of NTFS subdirectory
      > entries????

      I don't know. I don't use ntfs.
      Is there some message in the kernel buffer?

      NOTE:
      check the "dmesg" command and "/var/log/messages".

      > Also, how about EXT3? (I'm currently loading the 40,000 files this way -
      > but it's incredibly slow)

      Ext3 has some problems with many files in one directory.

      There are two sollutions:
      1) Devide the files in subdirectories
      2) Use a filesysteem with btree metadata such as reiserfs
      Note: This is not supported with unslung.

      Marceln