Re: Firmware update problems

  • oo03par
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 3, 2004
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "go4nslu2" <go4nslu2@y...>
      wrote:
      > i used the solarwinds free tftp version on my xp machine for it and
      > had no problems here is the link for the download page on that 1
      > http://support.solarwinds.net/updates/SelectProgramFree.cfm
      >
      > be sure to put the firmware file in your tftp directory or set the
      > used tftp directory to the directory u hold the firmware in.
      >
      > hook up the nslu2 directly to your pc with a crosslink cable and
      > shut down any firewall running (np there cuz u dont have connection
      > to anything but the box) i used the standard telnet proggy of winxp
      > and had more trouble pushing ctrl+c then to telnet to the box and/or
      > use the solarwinds tftp server.
      >
      > suc6 Phil :-)
      >
      > Henk

      Thanks Henk - managed to get the firmware update done via the TFTP
      now. Thanks to Rod as well for the HTTP tip [sadly didn't work as
      Tomcat didn't want to serve the .bin file!]

      I'm still getting the same problem of "Unable to copy xxxx: The path
      is too deep" which looks like a Samba set up issue on my pc.

      I've upgraded my NForce drivers, but that hasn't fixed it. Drawing
      board here I come!

      Phil
    • go4nslu2
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 3, 2004
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "oo03par" <oo03par@y...> wrote:

        > I think I may have worked out why this is happening, in case
        anyone
        > else is getting the problem.
        >
        > When I connect to a share on the NSLU and copy a file, small files
        > work fine, but large files [>32K] fail with the following message:
        >
        > "Cannot Copy <filename>: The path is too deep"
        >
        > Searching Google doesn't help much - people are saying it is a
        network
        > config issue [which it isn't, as I've tried two separate pcs, two
        > different hubs and several different network configurations] or a
        > driver issue [which it could be - haven't tried that yet].
        >
        > The pcs I am attempting to connect are both WinXP SP2, and both
        have
        > NVidia NForce motherboards, so it could be the NForce driver.
        >
        > I'll keep you informed...

        how do u connect to the share tru your webbrowser ? or tru a mapped
        network drive ??

        i could connect fine tru the mapped drive but all hang when i did
        tru webbrowser if i downloaded a file the nslu2 hang problem was the
        chipset in my usb enclosure i have another 1 now and all is fine

        Henk
      • oo03par
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 4, 2004
          wrote:
          > how do u connect to the share tru your webbrowser ? or tru a mapped
          > network drive ??
          >
          > i could connect fine tru the mapped drive but all hang when i did
          > tru webbrowser if i downloaded a file the nslu2 hang problem was the
          > chipset in my usb enclosure i have another 1 now and all is fine
          >
          > Henk

          Tried via a mapped drive and just going straight to the ip-address
          [\\192.168.0.77\] in Explorer.

          I can connect, and I can create and copy small files. Just not large
          ones.

          The drive I have is a Lacie 250Gb drive [ http://www.lacie.com/
          products/product.htm?pid=10468 ] if that's any help - maybe there's
          problems with it [in which case, bang goes that plan]

          I do have another USB2 hard drive, but the drive itself is corrupted
          so I am loathe to use it, but I'll give it a go.
        • go4nslu2
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 4, 2004
            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "oo03par" <oo03par@y...> wrote:

            > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "go4nslu2" <go4nslu2@y...>
            > wrote:
            > > how do u connect to the share tru your webbrowser ? or tru a
            mapped
            > > network drive ??
            > >
            > > i could connect fine tru the mapped drive but all hang when i
            did
            > > tru webbrowser if i downloaded a file the nslu2 hang problem was
            the
            > > chipset in my usb enclosure i have another 1 now and all is fine
            > >
            > > Henk
            >
            > Tried via a mapped drive and just going straight to the ip-address
            > [\\192.168.0.77\] in Explorer.
            >
            > I can connect, and I can create and copy small files. Just not
            large
            > ones.
            >
            > The drive I have is a Lacie 250Gb drive [ http://www.lacie.com/
            > products/product.htm?pid=10468 ] if that's any help - maybe
            there's
            > problems with it [in which case, bang goes that plan]
            >
            > I do have another USB2 hard drive, but the drive itself is
            corrupted
            > so I am loathe to use it, but I'll give it a go.

            did u use the lacie drive on your windows computer before u plugged
            it into the nslu2 ?? in my case if i used the usb enclosure on my
            winxp machine and copied large and/or many files to it it gave me
            a "delayed write error" message. that was for me the sign to look
            into things and i discovered the chipset was a genesys logic wich
            wont work 100% with usb 2.0 connections the data seems to pile up
            and cant be procesed (spell check).
            i gues its best if u mail lacie and ask them what chipset drives
            your drive enclosure and then look into the database here @ "devices
            tested" and see if the chipset is mentioned there.

            there are 2 lacie drives in the database that both work but u never
            know if they changed chipsets along production.

            Henk
          • oo03par
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 11, 2004
              Solved it!!!!!! [well the copying problem at least]

              This may also help Mike with his "Problems with XP SP2" in the other
              thread.

              I've just had my ISDN line removed from home, as I am getting it
              upgraded to ADSL, and so I removed the 3COM ISDN Lan Modem that I had
              in my network and plugged everything directly into my 3COM 100Mb
              Switch.

              I also removed the "Default gateway" and "DNS Server" settings from
              all devices on the network [NSLU2, other pcs] and a reboot later and
              this has done the trick.

              Able to copy large files across [CD images of 600Mb copied] with no
              worries.

              I'll post details of the drive I'm using when I get home tonight, and
              I'll update the Wiki just in case anyone else gets the same issue.

              Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

              Phil