Re: NSLU2 forum

  • Stanley P. Miller
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 23, 2006
      This one will be your best bet, personally don't use unslung but
      follow along here for the info.

      Lots of good basic info in the wiki too and if the answer is there
      many folks won't bother to answer it over and over here.

      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/HomePage

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "pinyilde" <tw081503@...> wrote:

      > Is there a forum where people actually answer questions about using
      > the current version of uNSLUng and the NSLU2? I've posted a couple in
      > the NSLU2/Linux forum but feel like I've walked into a private party
      > where everyone ignores you.

    • bloodymary504
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 24, 2006
        I have that feeling,too!

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "pinyilde" <tw081503@...> wrote:

        > Is there a forum where people actually answer questions about using
        > the current version of uNSLUng and the NSLU2? I've posted a couple in
        > the NSLU2/Linux forum but feel like I've walked into a private party
        > where everyone ignores you.

      • Mike Westerhof
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 24, 2006
          Please keep in mind that the people on this list as well as those on the
          various IRC channels/forums do so voluntarily, and are not at the back and
          call of anyone who pops in with a question! If only those who got answers
          to their questions either here or on the IRC channels would update the Wiki
          with the clarifications or new information, well, many of us wouldn't feel
          like we were repeating ourselves so often!

          In general, if you do not get a response to your question, one of the
          following might be the case:

          a) Nobody has an answer or a suggestion.
          b) Nobody is present at the time the question was posed -- the IRC channels
          seem to have 'active' times and 'inactive' times during the week; it helps
          to be very patient.
          c) Your question is posed in a manner that makes an answer difficult or
          impossible. For example: "My slug won't boot? What can I do?" is less
          likely to get an answer than this question: "I just flashed my slug with
          Unslung 5.5, followed the instruction in the README up to where it reads
          "xxxxxx", rebooted, and now it hangs with the LED flashing red. I've
          checked the Wiki, and followed the instructions in the article titled
          "XXXXXX", but to no avail - each time I reboot, it hangs with the LED
          flashing red. What might the logical next steps be?"

          Now, to answer "bloodymary504"'s other questions:
          Telnet: how to enable it each time you reboot is documented in the wiki in
          the article on "diversion scripts", although others have indicated that they
          have had trouble with that procedure. The general recommendation is that
          telnet is not a wise protocol to use due to the very poor security it offers
          and the fact that it doesn't fix the "PATH" setting on login (which leads to
          a whole other set of problems on Unslung). Using ssh instead is wiser;
          install "openssh" using ipkg on unslung, and use an SSH terminal emulator to
          connect to the slug is prefered.
          Internationalization: You're probably blazing new trails, and it wouldn't
          surprise me if you needed Unslung 6.x in order to do what you need to do.
          Unslung 6.x is based in the R63 firmware release, which seems to have more
          support for internationalization than previous releases. Unfortunately at
          this time the Unslung 6.x release is only available by building it; no
          pre-compiled binaries are available (that won't happen until 6.x is out of
          the alpha test stage of the release). In order to build it, see the Wiki
          articles involving the master makefile and building 6.x - there's lots of
          good information there.

          Hope that helps!

          Mike (mwester)

          > > Is there a forum where people actually answer questions about using
          > > the current version of uNSLUng and the NSLU2? I've posted a couple in
          > > the NSLU2/Linux forum but feel like I've walked into a private party
          > > where everyone ignores you.

        • Bear Giles
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 24, 2006
            Mike Westerhof wrote:

            > If only those who got answers
            > to their questions either here or on the IRC channels would update the
            > Wiki
            > with the clarifications or new information, well, many of us wouldn't feel
            > like we were repeating ourselves so often!

            Wiki pages do not make good primary documentation, at least not without
            a documentation czar. They tend to be good at highly specific
            questions, but suck at the big picture and newcomers get virtually
            random little snapshots of information.

            This isn't a criticism of these pages -- it's a well-known problem with
            all wiki-based documentation.

            Some of the missing questions which I still can't answer despite having
            built and installed DebianSlug (and providing a C program to capture the
            redboot prompt, I might add):

            1) why do I want slugos/openslug/debianslug/foobarslug? This should be
            very basic, and right now all I can say is that "Debianslug runs
            entirely off of the hard disk and makes an excellent replacement for the
            large, noisy, power-hungry old pcs that you're running in the back
            bedroom -- but the slug is braindead without the disk" and "UcSlugC is
            the best basis for turnkey appliances and doesn't require hard disks
            except for storage." Beyond that, I'm still confused why I would choose
            openslug over optware or if they're the same thing or one's built on the
            other or....

            2) for each distro, walk me through installing a package. That's
            trivial with DebianSlug, but how do I install a package in UcSlugC? Is
            it built into the rootfs image? Into a JFFS2 fs loaded as a ro
            partition? Somehow flashed into memory?

            3) for each distro, walk me through making a kernel modification.

            4) for each distro, walk me through adding a new package. Not the gory
            details of porting the package, just telling me where to put the source,
            what configuration files (if any) must be modified, etc. Finally how to
            submit the ported package upstream.

            5) what's up with the makefile? Can I build the cross-compiler
            toolchain once and reuse it when trying out different distros? Can I
            reuse the compiled packages when trying out different distros?

            A concrete example is adding support for JFS partitions. It requires
            setting a kernel flag and porting a package (jfsutils), yet I've been
            banging my head against the wall trying to figure out what goes where when.

            As I said above, a newcomer such as myself can't write these pages
            because we lack the necessary depth of knowledge to give a robust
            answer. At most we can try to document what we did, but that runs the
            risk of merely documenting our mistakes or doing things the hard way out
            of ignorance.

            Bear
          • Ante Prodan
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 25, 2006

              Your questions are already answered on the FAQ that is on this page
              http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/HomePage

              Please read the website carefully and then ask, no one has time to
              answer the staff that is already explained in details on the website.

              Also if you want to chat about some issues IRC chat is probably the best
              place to go.

              I hope this helped!

              Cheers

              ante

              [ads removed by moderator]
            • Joey
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 26, 2006
                > Your questions are already answered on the FAQ that is on this page
                > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/HomePage
                >
                > Please read the website carefully and then ask, no one has time to
                > answer the staff that is already explained in details on the website.
                >
                > Also if you want to chat about some issues IRC chat is probably the best
                > place to go.
                >

                > I hope this helped!
                >

                > Cheers
                >
                > ante
                Agreed, the only other thing I might recommend is sometimes the search
                feature on the site seems really slow so you might want to leverage
                google site specific searches for that. Just type
                "site:nslu2-linux.org" followed by a space and your search term
                (remove quotes around site:...). Here's the URL with the FAQ string
                to get you started.

                http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=lang_en&q=site%3Anslu2-linux.org+FAQ&btnG=Search