Re: Firmware update problems

  • go4nslu2
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 3, 2004
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "oo03par" <oo03par@y...> wrote:

      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "go4nslu2" <go4nslu2@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > i had my nslu2 hanging in a different way, firmware was not
      > > implanted right so my nslu2 gave me a green/red blinking status
      > > light.
      > > simple man i am i searched on nslu2 green/red light and found a
      page
      > > telling me how to "unbrick" my nslu2 tru a backdoor.
      >
      > Thanks "go4nslu2"!
      >
      > I've tried that one already though - I can get to the telnet
      backdoor
      > no problem [using PuTTY as my telnet client], but I can't see the
      TFTP
      > server running on my box. I've tried a couple of free / o/s TFTP
      > servers, but the box can't see it.
      >
      > I'm still convinved it is something to do with my network card
      > settings because of my second post [not able to copy files > 32K],
      but
      > I've tried updating one of the pcs with the latest NForce drivers,
      and
      > this didn't help.
      >
      > Anyone know of another TFTP server for WindowsXP I can try? TIA
      >
      > Phil

      hey Phil,

      i used the solarwinds free tftp version on my xp machine for it and
      had no problems here is the link for the download page on that 1
      http://support.solarwinds.net/updates/SelectProgramFree.cfm

      be sure to put the firmware file in your tftp directory or set the
      used tftp directory to the directory u hold the firmware in.

      hook up the nslu2 directly to your pc with a crosslink cable and
      shut down any firewall running (np there cuz u dont have connection
      to anything but the box) i used the standard telnet proggy of winxp
      and had more trouble pushing ctrl+c then to telnet to the box and/or
      use the solarwinds tftp server.

      suc6 Phil :-)

      Henk
    • oo03par
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 3, 2004
        wrote:
        > i used the solarwinds free tftp version on my xp machine for it and
        > had no problems here is the link for the download page on that 1
        > http://support.solarwinds.net/updates/SelectProgramFree.cfm
        >
        > be sure to put the firmware file in your tftp directory or set the
        > used tftp directory to the directory u hold the firmware in.
        >
        > hook up the nslu2 directly to your pc with a crosslink cable and
        > shut down any firewall running (np there cuz u dont have connection
        > to anything but the box) i used the standard telnet proggy of winxp
        > and had more trouble pushing ctrl+c then to telnet to the box and/or
        > use the solarwinds tftp server.
        >
        > suc6 Phil :-)
        >
        > Henk

        Thanks Henk - managed to get the firmware update done via the TFTP
        now. Thanks to Rod as well for the HTTP tip [sadly didn't work as
        Tomcat didn't want to serve the .bin file!]

        I'm still getting the same problem of "Unable to copy xxxx: The path
        is too deep" which looks like a Samba set up issue on my pc.

        I've upgraded my NForce drivers, but that hasn't fixed it. Drawing
        board here I come!

        Phil
      • go4nslu2
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 3, 2004
          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "oo03par" <oo03par@y...> wrote:

          > I think I may have worked out why this is happening, in case
          anyone
          > else is getting the problem.
          >
          > When I connect to a share on the NSLU and copy a file, small files
          > work fine, but large files [>32K] fail with the following message:
          >
          > "Cannot Copy <filename>: The path is too deep"
          >
          > Searching Google doesn't help much - people are saying it is a
          network
          > config issue [which it isn't, as I've tried two separate pcs, two
          > different hubs and several different network configurations] or a
          > driver issue [which it could be - haven't tried that yet].
          >
          > The pcs I am attempting to connect are both WinXP SP2, and both
          have
          > NVidia NForce motherboards, so it could be the NForce driver.
          >
          > I'll keep you informed...

          how do u connect to the share tru your webbrowser ? or tru a mapped
          network drive ??

          i could connect fine tru the mapped drive but all hang when i did
          tru webbrowser if i downloaded a file the nslu2 hang problem was the
          chipset in my usb enclosure i have another 1 now and all is fine

          Henk
        • oo03par
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 4, 2004
            wrote:
            > how do u connect to the share tru your webbrowser ? or tru a mapped
            > network drive ??
            >
            > i could connect fine tru the mapped drive but all hang when i did
            > tru webbrowser if i downloaded a file the nslu2 hang problem was the
            > chipset in my usb enclosure i have another 1 now and all is fine
            >
            > Henk

            Tried via a mapped drive and just going straight to the ip-address
            [\\192.168.0.77\] in Explorer.

            I can connect, and I can create and copy small files. Just not large
            ones.

            The drive I have is a Lacie 250Gb drive [ http://www.lacie.com/
            products/product.htm?pid=10468 ] if that's any help - maybe there's
            problems with it [in which case, bang goes that plan]

            I do have another USB2 hard drive, but the drive itself is corrupted
            so I am loathe to use it, but I'll give it a go.
          • go4nslu2
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 4, 2004
              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "oo03par" <oo03par@y...> wrote:

              > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "go4nslu2" <go4nslu2@y...>
              > wrote:
              > > how do u connect to the share tru your webbrowser ? or tru a
              mapped
              > > network drive ??
              > >
              > > i could connect fine tru the mapped drive but all hang when i
              did
              > > tru webbrowser if i downloaded a file the nslu2 hang problem was
              the
              > > chipset in my usb enclosure i have another 1 now and all is fine
              > >
              > > Henk
              >
              > Tried via a mapped drive and just going straight to the ip-address
              > [\\192.168.0.77\] in Explorer.
              >
              > I can connect, and I can create and copy small files. Just not
              large
              > ones.
              >
              > The drive I have is a Lacie 250Gb drive [ http://www.lacie.com/
              > products/product.htm?pid=10468 ] if that's any help - maybe
              there's
              > problems with it [in which case, bang goes that plan]
              >
              > I do have another USB2 hard drive, but the drive itself is
              corrupted
              > so I am loathe to use it, but I'll give it a go.

              did u use the lacie drive on your windows computer before u plugged
              it into the nslu2 ?? in my case if i used the usb enclosure on my
              winxp machine and copied large and/or many files to it it gave me
              a "delayed write error" message. that was for me the sign to look
              into things and i discovered the chipset was a genesys logic wich
              wont work 100% with usb 2.0 connections the data seems to pile up
              and cant be procesed (spell check).
              i gues its best if u mail lacie and ask them what chipset drives
              your drive enclosure and then look into the database here @ "devices
              tested" and see if the chipset is mentioned there.

              there are 2 lacie drives in the database that both work but u never
              know if they changed chipsets along production.

              Henk
            • oo03par
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 11, 2004
                Solved it!!!!!! [well the copying problem at least]

                This may also help Mike with his "Problems with XP SP2" in the other
                thread.

                I've just had my ISDN line removed from home, as I am getting it
                upgraded to ADSL, and so I removed the 3COM ISDN Lan Modem that I had
                in my network and plugged everything directly into my 3COM 100Mb
                Switch.

                I also removed the "Default gateway" and "DNS Server" settings from
                all devices on the network [NSLU2, other pcs] and a reboot later and
                this has done the trick.

                Able to copy large files across [CD images of 600Mb copied] with no
                worries.

                I'll post details of the drive I'm using when I get home tonight, and
                I'll update the Wiki just in case anyone else gets the same issue.

                Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

                Phil