Re: HDD Spinning - Maxtor One Touch

  • bart_unlimited
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 3, 2004
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Tim Lewis <spurp@c...> wrote:
      > No, the drive will spin down fine when attached to the NSLU2.
      > You need to set the spin down time using the OneTouch utility
      > before you format the drive with the NSLU2. I have set mine for
      > 10 minutes, and it works as advertised.

      Is your drive connected as disk 1 or 2? Only disk 2 spinns down with
      my unit. Every time disk 1 is about to spinn down, the NSLU2
      reads/writes to it (even when disconnected from the network).

      -Bart
    • Tim Lewis
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 4, 2004
        bart_unlimited wrote:

        > Is your drive connected as disk 1 or 2? Only disk 2 spinns down with
        > my unit. Every time disk 1 is about to spinn down, the NSLU2
        > reads/writes to it (even when disconnected from the network).

        I have one on each, actually.

        Are you unslung? If so, how many services are you running off
        the drive? A running service like dropbear, for instance, can
        keep the drive spinning all the time.

        If you shut down all services, the drive will eventually spin
        down. Note that the Linksys firmware doesn't have this issue,
        since everything is in flash.

        - Tim
      • bart_unlimited
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 8, 2004
          Thanks Tim. Dropbear will be the reason then. Is there a way to
          prevent services to interfering with the spinning down? I am thinking
          of a script that copies the program data into a ramdisk and runs it
          from there.

          By the way; is the standard webserver on which the Linksys User
          interface is running still running from RAM?

          Cheers, Bart