Re: [nslu2-general] Re: Firmware update problems

  • rwhitby
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 3, 2004
      On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 11:06:11 -0000, oo03par <oo03par@...> wrote:
      > I've tried that one already though - I can get to the telnet backdoor
      > no problem [using PuTTY as my telnet client], but I can't see the TFTP
      > server running on my box. I've tried a couple of free / o/s TFTP
      > servers, but the box can't see it.

      You know that you can use a HTTP server instead of a TFTP server, right?

      Add "-m http" and give the URL pathname from / of the file on your HTTP server.

      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/RecoverFromABadFlash

      -- Rod
    • go4nslu2
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 3, 2004
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "oo03par" <oo03par@y...> wrote:

        > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "go4nslu2" <go4nslu2@y...>
        > wrote:
        > > i had my nslu2 hanging in a different way, firmware was not
        > > implanted right so my nslu2 gave me a green/red blinking status
        > > light.
        > > simple man i am i searched on nslu2 green/red light and found a
        page
        > > telling me how to "unbrick" my nslu2 tru a backdoor.
        >
        > Thanks "go4nslu2"!
        >
        > I've tried that one already though - I can get to the telnet
        backdoor
        > no problem [using PuTTY as my telnet client], but I can't see the
        TFTP
        > server running on my box. I've tried a couple of free / o/s TFTP
        > servers, but the box can't see it.
        >
        > I'm still convinved it is something to do with my network card
        > settings because of my second post [not able to copy files > 32K],
        but
        > I've tried updating one of the pcs with the latest NForce drivers,
        and
        > this didn't help.
        >
        > Anyone know of another TFTP server for WindowsXP I can try? TIA
        >
        > Phil

        hey Phil,

        i used the solarwinds free tftp version on my xp machine for it and
        had no problems here is the link for the download page on that 1
        http://support.solarwinds.net/updates/SelectProgramFree.cfm

        be sure to put the firmware file in your tftp directory or set the
        used tftp directory to the directory u hold the firmware in.

        hook up the nslu2 directly to your pc with a crosslink cable and
        shut down any firewall running (np there cuz u dont have connection
        to anything but the box) i used the standard telnet proggy of winxp
        and had more trouble pushing ctrl+c then to telnet to the box and/or
        use the solarwinds tftp server.

        suc6 Phil :-)

        Henk
      • oo03par
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 3, 2004
          wrote:
          > i used the solarwinds free tftp version on my xp machine for it and
          > had no problems here is the link for the download page on that 1
          > http://support.solarwinds.net/updates/SelectProgramFree.cfm
          >
          > be sure to put the firmware file in your tftp directory or set the
          > used tftp directory to the directory u hold the firmware in.
          >
          > hook up the nslu2 directly to your pc with a crosslink cable and
          > shut down any firewall running (np there cuz u dont have connection
          > to anything but the box) i used the standard telnet proggy of winxp
          > and had more trouble pushing ctrl+c then to telnet to the box and/or
          > use the solarwinds tftp server.
          >
          > suc6 Phil :-)
          >
          > Henk

          Thanks Henk - managed to get the firmware update done via the TFTP
          now. Thanks to Rod as well for the HTTP tip [sadly didn't work as
          Tomcat didn't want to serve the .bin file!]

          I'm still getting the same problem of "Unable to copy xxxx: The path
          is too deep" which looks like a Samba set up issue on my pc.

          I've upgraded my NForce drivers, but that hasn't fixed it. Drawing
          board here I come!

          Phil
        • go4nslu2
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 3, 2004
            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "oo03par" <oo03par@y...> wrote:

            > I think I may have worked out why this is happening, in case
            anyone
            > else is getting the problem.
            >
            > When I connect to a share on the NSLU and copy a file, small files
            > work fine, but large files [>32K] fail with the following message:
            >
            > "Cannot Copy <filename>: The path is too deep"
            >
            > Searching Google doesn't help much - people are saying it is a
            network
            > config issue [which it isn't, as I've tried two separate pcs, two
            > different hubs and several different network configurations] or a
            > driver issue [which it could be - haven't tried that yet].
            >
            > The pcs I am attempting to connect are both WinXP SP2, and both
            have
            > NVidia NForce motherboards, so it could be the NForce driver.
            >
            > I'll keep you informed...

            how do u connect to the share tru your webbrowser ? or tru a mapped
            network drive ??

            i could connect fine tru the mapped drive but all hang when i did
            tru webbrowser if i downloaded a file the nslu2 hang problem was the
            chipset in my usb enclosure i have another 1 now and all is fine

            Henk
          • oo03par
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 4, 2004
              wrote:
              > how do u connect to the share tru your webbrowser ? or tru a mapped
              > network drive ??
              >
              > i could connect fine tru the mapped drive but all hang when i did
              > tru webbrowser if i downloaded a file the nslu2 hang problem was the
              > chipset in my usb enclosure i have another 1 now and all is fine
              >
              > Henk

              Tried via a mapped drive and just going straight to the ip-address
              [\\192.168.0.77\] in Explorer.

              I can connect, and I can create and copy small files. Just not large
              ones.

              The drive I have is a Lacie 250Gb drive [ http://www.lacie.com/
              products/product.htm?pid=10468 ] if that's any help - maybe there's
              problems with it [in which case, bang goes that plan]

              I do have another USB2 hard drive, but the drive itself is corrupted
              so I am loathe to use it, but I'll give it a go.
            • go4nslu2
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 4, 2004
                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "oo03par" <oo03par@y...> wrote:

                > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "go4nslu2" <go4nslu2@y...>
                > wrote:
                > > how do u connect to the share tru your webbrowser ? or tru a
                mapped
                > > network drive ??
                > >
                > > i could connect fine tru the mapped drive but all hang when i
                did
                > > tru webbrowser if i downloaded a file the nslu2 hang problem was
                the
                > > chipset in my usb enclosure i have another 1 now and all is fine
                > >
                > > Henk
                >
                > Tried via a mapped drive and just going straight to the ip-address
                > [\\192.168.0.77\] in Explorer.
                >
                > I can connect, and I can create and copy small files. Just not
                large
                > ones.
                >
                > The drive I have is a Lacie 250Gb drive [ http://www.lacie.com/
                > products/product.htm?pid=10468 ] if that's any help - maybe
                there's
                > problems with it [in which case, bang goes that plan]
                >
                > I do have another USB2 hard drive, but the drive itself is
                corrupted
                > so I am loathe to use it, but I'll give it a go.

                did u use the lacie drive on your windows computer before u plugged
                it into the nslu2 ?? in my case if i used the usb enclosure on my
                winxp machine and copied large and/or many files to it it gave me
                a "delayed write error" message. that was for me the sign to look
                into things and i discovered the chipset was a genesys logic wich
                wont work 100% with usb 2.0 connections the data seems to pile up
                and cant be procesed (spell check).
                i gues its best if u mail lacie and ask them what chipset drives
                your drive enclosure and then look into the database here @ "devices
                tested" and see if the chipset is mentioned there.

                there are 2 lacie drives in the database that both work but u never
                know if they changed chipsets along production.

                Henk
              • oo03par
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 11, 2004
                  Solved it!!!!!! [well the copying problem at least]

                  This may also help Mike with his "Problems with XP SP2" in the other
                  thread.

                  I've just had my ISDN line removed from home, as I am getting it
                  upgraded to ADSL, and so I removed the 3COM ISDN Lan Modem that I had
                  in my network and plugged everything directly into my 3COM 100Mb
                  Switch.

                  I also removed the "Default gateway" and "DNS Server" settings from
                  all devices on the network [NSLU2, other pcs] and a reboot later and
                  this has done the trick.

                  Able to copy large files across [CD images of 600Mb copied] with no
                  worries.

                  I'll post details of the drive I'm using when I get home tonight, and
                  I'll update the Wiki just in case anyone else gets the same issue.

                  Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

                  Phil