Firmware update problems

  • oo03par
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 29, 2004
      I've just bought a brand new NSLU2, which I ultimately want to act as
      an iTunes server.

      Trying firmware update [both uNSLUng and standard LinkSys] and all I
      get after about 5 minutes is IE or Opera timing out.

      When I go back to 192.168.1.77 it all seems fine, but if I try to re-
      start via the admin option [Administration|Status|Restart Now] it
      says "A firmware upgrade is in progress".

      I have left it for hours, but to no avail, so I turn it off and on
      [after which the box is fine] and the firmware still says v2.3R24.

      I've tried with and without Telnet access turned on, and with and
      without a USB2 drive in there, but all to no avail.

      Help!
    • go4nslu2
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 1, 2004
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "oo03par" <oo03par@y...> wrote:

        > I've just bought a brand new NSLU2, which I ultimately want to act
        as
        > an iTunes server.
        >
        > Trying firmware update [both uNSLUng and standard LinkSys] and all
        > get after about 5 minutes is IE or Opera timing out.
        >
        > When I go back to 192.168.1.77 it all seems fine, but if I try to
        re-
        > start via the admin option [Administration|Status|Restart Now] it
        > says "A firmware upgrade is in progress".
        >
        > I have left it for hours, but to no avail, so I turn it off and on
        > [after which the box is fine] and the firmware still says v2.3R24.
        >
        > I've tried with and without Telnet access turned on, and with and
        > without a USB2 drive in there, but all to no avail.
        >
        > Help!

        hi oo03par,

        i had my nslu2 hanging in a different way, firmware was not
        implanted right so my nslu2 gave me a green/red blinking status
        light.
        simple man i am i searched on nslu2 green/red light and found a page
        telling me how to "unbrick" my nslu2 tru a backdoor.
        seems they found a way to connect into the nslu2 when he is starting
        up, without any password required u can access the nslu2 on telnet
        and upload the fiemware it's a bit trickey cuz u gotta connect at
        the right time and hit ctrl+c in a fast way (between the 2.0 and 0.1
        second) i messed abit with that and i actualy got it to work
        uploaded the firmware etc. now my nslu2 is as new :-)

        the link to that page is
        http://www.tongfamily.com/guide/pcs/2004/09/15/unbricking_your_nslu2.
        html

        suc6, and good luck
      • oo03par
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 2, 2004
          I think I may have worked out why this is happening, in case anyone
          else is getting the problem.

          When I connect to a share on the NSLU and copy a file, small files
          work fine, but large files [>32K] fail with the following message:

          "Cannot Copy <filename>: The path is too deep"

          Searching Google doesn't help much - people are saying it is a network
          config issue [which it isn't, as I've tried two separate pcs, two
          different hubs and several different network configurations] or a
          driver issue [which it could be - haven't tried that yet].

          The pcs I am attempting to connect are both WinXP SP2, and both have
          NVidia NForce motherboards, so it could be the NForce driver.

          I'll keep you informed...
        • rwhitby
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 2, 2004
            On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 22:42:36 -0000, go4nslu2 <go4nslu2@...> wrote:
            > simple man i am i searched on nslu2 green/red light and found a page
            > telling me how to "unbrick" my nslu2 tru a backdoor.
            >
            > the link to that page is
            > http://www.tongfamily.com/guide/pcs/2004/09/15/unbricking_your_nslu2.
            > html

            You can find that and lots more useful information in the NSLU2-Linux
            wiki (www.nslu2-linux.org). Feel free to add any useful info you find
            out.

            -- Rod
          • oo03par
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 3, 2004
              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "go4nslu2" <go4nslu2@y...>
              wrote:
              > i had my nslu2 hanging in a different way, firmware was not
              > implanted right so my nslu2 gave me a green/red blinking status
              > light.
              > simple man i am i searched on nslu2 green/red light and found a page
              > telling me how to "unbrick" my nslu2 tru a backdoor.

              Thanks "go4nslu2"!

              I've tried that one already though - I can get to the telnet backdoor
              no problem [using PuTTY as my telnet client], but I can't see the TFTP
              server running on my box. I've tried a couple of free / o/s TFTP
              servers, but the box can't see it.

              I'm still convinved it is something to do with my network card
              settings because of my second post [not able to copy files > 32K], but
              I've tried updating one of the pcs with the latest NForce drivers, and
              this didn't help.

              Anyone know of another TFTP server for WindowsXP I can try? TIA

              Phil
            • rwhitby
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 3, 2004
                On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 11:06:11 -0000, oo03par <oo03par@...> wrote:
                > I've tried that one already though - I can get to the telnet backdoor
                > no problem [using PuTTY as my telnet client], but I can't see the TFTP
                > server running on my box. I've tried a couple of free / o/s TFTP
                > servers, but the box can't see it.

                You know that you can use a HTTP server instead of a TFTP server, right?

                Add "-m http" and give the URL pathname from / of the file on your HTTP server.

                http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/RecoverFromABadFlash

                -- Rod
              • go4nslu2
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 3, 2004
                  --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "oo03par" <oo03par@y...> wrote:

                  > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "go4nslu2" <go4nslu2@y...>
                  > wrote:
                  > > i had my nslu2 hanging in a different way, firmware was not
                  > > implanted right so my nslu2 gave me a green/red blinking status
                  > > light.
                  > > simple man i am i searched on nslu2 green/red light and found a
                  page
                  > > telling me how to "unbrick" my nslu2 tru a backdoor.
                  >
                  > Thanks "go4nslu2"!
                  >
                  > I've tried that one already though - I can get to the telnet
                  backdoor
                  > no problem [using PuTTY as my telnet client], but I can't see the
                  TFTP
                  > server running on my box. I've tried a couple of free / o/s TFTP
                  > servers, but the box can't see it.
                  >
                  > I'm still convinved it is something to do with my network card
                  > settings because of my second post [not able to copy files > 32K],
                  but
                  > I've tried updating one of the pcs with the latest NForce drivers,
                  and
                  > this didn't help.
                  >
                  > Anyone know of another TFTP server for WindowsXP I can try? TIA
                  >
                  > Phil

                  hey Phil,

                  i used the solarwinds free tftp version on my xp machine for it and
                  had no problems here is the link for the download page on that 1
                  http://support.solarwinds.net/updates/SelectProgramFree.cfm

                  be sure to put the firmware file in your tftp directory or set the
                  used tftp directory to the directory u hold the firmware in.

                  hook up the nslu2 directly to your pc with a crosslink cable and
                  shut down any firewall running (np there cuz u dont have connection
                  to anything but the box) i used the standard telnet proggy of winxp
                  and had more trouble pushing ctrl+c then to telnet to the box and/or
                  use the solarwinds tftp server.

                  suc6 Phil :-)

                  Henk
                • oo03par
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 3, 2004
                    wrote:
                    > i used the solarwinds free tftp version on my xp machine for it and
                    > had no problems here is the link for the download page on that 1
                    > http://support.solarwinds.net/updates/SelectProgramFree.cfm
                    >
                    > be sure to put the firmware file in your tftp directory or set the
                    > used tftp directory to the directory u hold the firmware in.
                    >
                    > hook up the nslu2 directly to your pc with a crosslink cable and
                    > shut down any firewall running (np there cuz u dont have connection
                    > to anything but the box) i used the standard telnet proggy of winxp
                    > and had more trouble pushing ctrl+c then to telnet to the box and/or
                    > use the solarwinds tftp server.
                    >
                    > suc6 Phil :-)
                    >
                    > Henk

                    Thanks Henk - managed to get the firmware update done via the TFTP
                    now. Thanks to Rod as well for the HTTP tip [sadly didn't work as
                    Tomcat didn't want to serve the .bin file!]

                    I'm still getting the same problem of "Unable to copy xxxx: The path
                    is too deep" which looks like a Samba set up issue on my pc.

                    I've upgraded my NForce drivers, but that hasn't fixed it. Drawing
                    board here I come!

                    Phil
                  • go4nslu2
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 3, 2004
                      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "oo03par" <oo03par@y...> wrote:

                      > I think I may have worked out why this is happening, in case
                      anyone
                      > else is getting the problem.
                      >
                      > When I connect to a share on the NSLU and copy a file, small files
                      > work fine, but large files [>32K] fail with the following message:
                      >
                      > "Cannot Copy <filename>: The path is too deep"
                      >
                      > Searching Google doesn't help much - people are saying it is a
                      network
                      > config issue [which it isn't, as I've tried two separate pcs, two
                      > different hubs and several different network configurations] or a
                      > driver issue [which it could be - haven't tried that yet].
                      >
                      > The pcs I am attempting to connect are both WinXP SP2, and both
                      have
                      > NVidia NForce motherboards, so it could be the NForce driver.
                      >
                      > I'll keep you informed...

                      how do u connect to the share tru your webbrowser ? or tru a mapped
                      network drive ??

                      i could connect fine tru the mapped drive but all hang when i did
                      tru webbrowser if i downloaded a file the nslu2 hang problem was the
                      chipset in my usb enclosure i have another 1 now and all is fine

                      Henk
                    • oo03par
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 4, 2004
                        wrote:
                        > how do u connect to the share tru your webbrowser ? or tru a mapped
                        > network drive ??
                        >
                        > i could connect fine tru the mapped drive but all hang when i did
                        > tru webbrowser if i downloaded a file the nslu2 hang problem was the
                        > chipset in my usb enclosure i have another 1 now and all is fine
                        >
                        > Henk

                        Tried via a mapped drive and just going straight to the ip-address
                        [\\192.168.0.77\] in Explorer.

                        I can connect, and I can create and copy small files. Just not large
                        ones.

                        The drive I have is a Lacie 250Gb drive [ http://www.lacie.com/
                        products/product.htm?pid=10468 ] if that's any help - maybe there's
                        problems with it [in which case, bang goes that plan]

                        I do have another USB2 hard drive, but the drive itself is corrupted
                        so I am loathe to use it, but I'll give it a go.
                      • go4nslu2
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 4, 2004
                          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "oo03par" <oo03par@y...> wrote:

                          > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "go4nslu2" <go4nslu2@y...>
                          > wrote:
                          > > how do u connect to the share tru your webbrowser ? or tru a
                          mapped
                          > > network drive ??
                          > >
                          > > i could connect fine tru the mapped drive but all hang when i
                          did
                          > > tru webbrowser if i downloaded a file the nslu2 hang problem was
                          the
                          > > chipset in my usb enclosure i have another 1 now and all is fine
                          > >
                          > > Henk
                          >
                          > Tried via a mapped drive and just going straight to the ip-address
                          > [\\192.168.0.77\] in Explorer.
                          >
                          > I can connect, and I can create and copy small files. Just not
                          large
                          > ones.
                          >
                          > The drive I have is a Lacie 250Gb drive [ http://www.lacie.com/
                          > products/product.htm?pid=10468 ] if that's any help - maybe
                          there's
                          > problems with it [in which case, bang goes that plan]
                          >
                          > I do have another USB2 hard drive, but the drive itself is
                          corrupted
                          > so I am loathe to use it, but I'll give it a go.

                          did u use the lacie drive on your windows computer before u plugged
                          it into the nslu2 ?? in my case if i used the usb enclosure on my
                          winxp machine and copied large and/or many files to it it gave me
                          a "delayed write error" message. that was for me the sign to look
                          into things and i discovered the chipset was a genesys logic wich
                          wont work 100% with usb 2.0 connections the data seems to pile up
                          and cant be procesed (spell check).
                          i gues its best if u mail lacie and ask them what chipset drives
                          your drive enclosure and then look into the database here @ "devices
                          tested" and see if the chipset is mentioned there.

                          there are 2 lacie drives in the database that both work but u never
                          know if they changed chipsets along production.

                          Henk
                        • oo03par
                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 11, 2004
                            Solved it!!!!!! [well the copying problem at least]

                            This may also help Mike with his "Problems with XP SP2" in the other
                            thread.

                            I've just had my ISDN line removed from home, as I am getting it
                            upgraded to ADSL, and so I removed the 3COM ISDN Lan Modem that I had
                            in my network and plugged everything directly into my 3COM 100Mb
                            Switch.

                            I also removed the "Default gateway" and "DNS Server" settings from
                            all devices on the network [NSLU2, other pcs] and a reboot later and
                            this has done the trick.

                            Able to copy large files across [CD images of 600Mb copied] with no
                            worries.

                            I'll post details of the drive I'm using when I get home tonight, and
                            I'll update the Wiki just in case anyone else gets the same issue.

                            Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

                            Phil