NSLU2 as an audioplayer

  • wielan000
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 5, 2006
      tried to follow the instructions to make my own MDP installlation.

      But not being a Linux guru, I can't seem to get it right. Please help.

      Here is the instruction http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/BuildMpd
      <http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/BuildMpd>

      I get lost in the part to create the symbolic links because i dont
      have an /opt/usr/lib directory.

      //LinkSys~/mpd-0.11.5#./configure says;
      checking for ao... no
      *** Could not run ao test program, checking why...
      *** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file
      config.log for the
      *** exact error that occured. This usually means ao was incorrectly
      installed
      *** or that you have moved ao since it was installed.
      configure: error: Must have libao installed!!!

      but ipkg list_installed says;
      libao - 0.8.6-1 -
      is installed (i think mt-daapd did this for me).

      removing this package and doing this by hand as explained gives other
      error messages so i installed libao.ipk again.

      I want to use MPD because mt-daapd cannot redirect its output to an
      USB audio device. I've got this USB audio working fine by folowing the
      instructions to use the slug as an audio player. I can play mp3's with
      madplay, but in the end i want to build my own webinterface. This USB
      audio device in fact a FM transmitter and i want to be able to make
      playlists or let it play random files on my PC and listen to them on
      my kitchen-radio ;-).

    • Dave Hooper
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 7, 2006
        Hi Henk,
        I wrote those instructions so if anything is not clear I apologise!
        Firstly, are you running Unslung or Openslug? Are you using a cross
        compiler or compiling natively on the unit itself? It's not clear from the
        below, but I'd guess you're building natively on Unslung?

        Secondly, I would recommend you use the stated build version of mpd (i.e.
        0.12.0, not 0.11.5), since that is the version of MPD I was trying to build
        when I documented the procedure. The behaviour of the build differs between
        0.11.5 and 0.12.0 so the instructions on that page may not work as you
        expect for 0.11.5

        Thirdly, the instructions assume you are building libao *yourself*, rather
        than installing the libao package. I cannot remember why, but I think it's
        because this is the only way to get the libao header files installed.
        Installing the libao package using ipkg didn't seem to do the right thing..

        Fourthly, if you're following those instructions to build libao, you will
        actually just need to create (empty) directories if you don't already have
        them:
        /opt/usr/lib
        /opt/usr/bin
        /opt/usr/include
        /opt/usr/src
        Sorry if that wasn't clear.

        However, you say trying to do this "by hand" gives "other errors". Could
        you tell us all what those other errors are? (The exact error messages are
        useful to track down problems, of course)

        If you want to investigate why MPD doesn't build with the ipkg libao
        package, take a look at the config.log file in your build directory. (i.e.
        the directory in which you ran ./configure for mpd). It's probably quite a
        long file but there should be some details of why it thinks ao is not
        installed.

        ..

        Hi,