Re: [nslu2-general] Re: WatchDog and logrotate

  • CN
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 5, 2006
      --Original Message Text---
      From: Joey
      Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2006 11:42:15 -0000

      > Is it possible the message.old that you see was an old one left
      around?

      >The date/time on the file changes as well as the contents so this
      isn't the issue. Actually I adjusted the size at first as well but
      that didn't make a difference so I thought possibly deleting the
      entries (since the size change was just a workaround anyway) would
      solve the problem which it didn't. I haven't had an opportunity to
      work on it further but will let you know if a solution becomes available.

      Joey,

      You are right about messages.old. Here also, it was the most recent copy of
      the messages . My rebooting did not have any effect on this either.

      Now I have this observation. The messages.old size on the last one was
      16472, which is a few bytes > 16K. I think almost all of the previous
      messages.old were about this size. So I am guessing that the message writing
      routine itself has some code which checks if the file is >16K and then moves
      that to .old. That is why the size in WatchDog has no effect, as well as
      logrotate.

      Which is the routine that writes the messages? Can somebody check the
      source code on UnSlung 5.5-beta?

      Cordially, Chacko