Re: [nslu2-general] Drive failure

  • Philip Johnson
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 5 7:26 AM
      On 2/2/06, najindustrializovanija <apples@...> wrote:
      > I had a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 hard disk hooked up to my NSLU2 for a
      > couple of weeks before it mysteriously stopped working. Unfortunately
      > it was a drive failure as documented here:
      > http://www.dataclinic.co.uk/hard-disk-smooth-l7250.htm
      >
      > My question is- is it sane to leave an NSLU2 switched on 24 hrs a day
      > with a usb hdd connected? Has this contributed to my drive failure in
      > any way or am I just being paranoid?
      >
      > Thanks for any help.

      Hello there.

      I have had a 250GB DMP9 running 24x7x365 on a high-traffic slug for
      over a year now with no problems whatsoever. It isn't set to spin
      down, and I doubt it would be worth it for me to make it do so as it
      is used so much.

      The link you gave in your initial post implies to me that you realize
      that your drive most likely overheated and I would totally agree that
      the reason most external drives fail is due to excessive heat. You
      should be fine running the drive 24/7 as long as you buy a decent
      external enclosure. £50 might seem a lot for a metal box and a chip,
      but (in my experience) you generally get what you pay for when it
      comes to things like this.

      For good heat dissipation you should be looking for aluminium
      enclosure with fins, and optionally enclosures where you can run a
      small fan if you deem necessary. Once you've got a decent enclosure,
      you should be fine running the drive for at least 5 years like Maxtor
      states in the drive specification. Thats as long as the drive isn't
      subject to any shock, however.

      This is quite a hot (excuse the pun) topic, and a lot of people have
      differing views - but these are mine based on experience.

      Regards,
      ----
      Philip Johnson (PlasticMonkey) <plasticmonkey@...>
      Office Tel: +44 (0)20 7870 2206 Skype Me: plasticmonkey
      IRC.freenode.net: philipjohnson Jabber/GTalk:
      plasticmonkey@...
      http://www.phillybob.co.uk http://www.pixelgeek.co.uk
      ----
      GPG fingerprint = 3EC6 C5B6 FCF1 1FB5 C071 FF64 E7A3 1E3A 3A8F 766B
      ----