Re: [nslu2-general] Virtual serial port

  • Phil Endecott
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 5, 2006
      > Is there a way to add the serial port on the NSLU2 as a virtual port
      > on an other linux/windows machine via TCP/IP?
      >
      > I have a serial device I want to communicate with over the internet.

      Note that you can use USB-to-serial cables on the NSLU2, rather than the
      internal serial port; that involves less soldering!

      Try searching on freshmeat.net for "tcp serial" - you'll find several
      things that might do what you want, at least at the NSLU2 end. At the
      PC end you want something that will create a pseudoterminal and plumb it
      to a network client socket; it's probably only 20 lines of C, but they
      aren't obvious unless you've done it before. Let me know if you decide
      to try to write it yourself.

      What sort of communication do you need to do? If you just want to run a
      terminal emulator, you can run that directly on the NSLU2 and
      communicate with it over ssh. You could even use Anyterm (my own
      invention; http://anyterm.org/) and access it on a web page.

      --Phil.