Virtual serial port

  • volzon
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4, 2006
      Hi.

      Is there a way to add the serial port on the NSLU2 as a virtual port
      on an other linux/windows machine via TCP/IP?

      I have a serial device I want to communicate with over the internet.

      I know there is devices that converts rs-232 to tcp/ip and back, but
      they are a bit expensive.

      Interesting scenarios:

      1.
      device -> rs-232 -> NSLU2 -> TCP/IP -> Linux box with virtual rs-232
      port

      2.
      device -> rs-232 -> NSLU2 -> TCP/IP -> Windows with virtual rs-232 port

      3.
      device -> rs-232 -> NSLU2 -> TCP/IP -> Any OS -> rs-232 port ->
      device/computer

      The communication must be both RX and TX.

      Thanks in advance,

      Volzon
    • Laurent Gilson
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 5, 2006
        Hello

        > device -> rs-232 -> NSLU2 -> TCP/IP -> Linux box with virtual rs-232
        > port

        It's not 100% RS232, but works for most setups:

        - Get a RS232 <-> USB converter, check it's working with your stuff and
        the slug (Or use the internal port if you are happy with SMD-soldering)

        - Install netcat on linux and slug.

        - on the slug setup the rs232 to match baudrate/stopbits...

        - on the slug do:

        nc -l -p 23230 < /dev/ttyUSB0 > /dec/ttyUSB0

        - on the linux-Box do:

        nc <slug-ip> 23230

        cu
      • Phil Endecott
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 5, 2006
          > Is there a way to add the serial port on the NSLU2 as a virtual port
          > on an other linux/windows machine via TCP/IP?
          >
          > I have a serial device I want to communicate with over the internet.

          Note that you can use USB-to-serial cables on the NSLU2, rather than the
          internal serial port; that involves less soldering!

          Try searching on freshmeat.net for "tcp serial" - you'll find several
          things that might do what you want, at least at the NSLU2 end. At the
          PC end you want something that will create a pseudoterminal and plumb it
          to a network client socket; it's probably only 20 lines of C, but they
          aren't obvious unless you've done it before. Let me know if you decide
          to try to write it yourself.

          What sort of communication do you need to do? If you just want to run a
          terminal emulator, you can run that directly on the NSLU2 and
          communicate with it over ssh. You could even use Anyterm (my own
          invention; http://anyterm.org/) and access it on a web page.

          --Phil.