Re: [nslu2-general] Re: Can't Get Bluetooth Network Access Point to work with iPAQ 1945

  • Roland Rosier
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 2, 2006
      Hello Douglas,

      I've successfully tried the NAP stuff with an h2200
      iPAQ and
      an h4700 iPAQ. Both of these run PocketPC 2003.

      I don't know anyone with an 1945 type iPAQ I could
      try.

      However, my old iPAQ 3630 doesn't appear to have the
      necessary
      things in it to use bluetooth, although that could be
      because I
      don't actually have an external bluetooth adapter I
      can plug
      into it to try and the iPAQ 3630 only recognises
      Ethernet
      Drivers by default. The iPAQ 3630 runs Windows CE 3.0.

      I did find an article at
      http://www.mobiletechreview.com/ipaq_1940.htm
      claiming that the iPAQ 1945 has PocketPC 2003 on it,
      and has a
      picture of the bluetooth manager. I find that
      selecting the
      "Explore a Bluetooth device" shown as selected in the
      picture
      enables the iPAQ connect to a NAP.

      If you iPAQ won't support a NAP, I don't know of
      another way to
      connect. Maybe someone else on this list might do,
      however.

      Regards,
      Roland

    • Douglas Bush
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 6, 2006
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Roland Rosier
        <rolandrosier@...> wrote:

        > Hello Douglas,
        >
        > I've successfully tried the NAP stuff with an h2200
        > iPAQ and an h4700 iPAQ. Both of these run PocketPC 2003.
        >
        > I don't know anyone with an 1945 type iPAQ I could try.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Roland

        Roland,

        I have DUN working with my PDA, but I may try your recommendations.

        I'm curious, but what country to do you live in?

        In snooping around, I've noticed that DLink doesn't sell its NAP in
        North America, but they sell it pretty much anywhere else.

        Microsoft's Bluetooth stack (which is installed by default, no
        matter what the manufacturer ships with its install disc) does not
        perform NAP activities. It sets up a PPP link.

        Regards,

        Douglas.
      • Gregg C Levine
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 6, 2006
          Hello from Gregg C Levine
          (Standard disclaimer: My NSLU2 is still on order. And my Bluetooth
          dongle is also on order. As is the PDA. All from the same shop.)

          Doug, I confess I haven't been following the discussions closely.
          However one question sticks into my mind, who does make your unit?
          Theoretically all units available as of 2002 Summer should be wearing
          Pocket PC 2003. Again there are some things to consider, one is that
          the region where Roland for example bought his, may have released
          specific features.

          I should also add that it is possible to create your own image of
          Pocket PC 2003 from resources from those characters that are freely
          available.

          However, regarding that subject I am willing to discuss it with you
          off list as I do not want to clog the list with issues that aren't
          NSLU2 relevant.

          Also you might want to try different company Bluetooth adapters. I
          just examined the website for the D-Link adapter that I've seen for
          sale in CompUSA for example, and they do not mention that alternate
          protocol. I suspect I'd need to peruse their data sheets. But then
          again their (CompUSA) adapters don't as well mention that fact as
          well.
          ---
          Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@...
          ---
          "Remember the Force will be with you. Always." Obi-Wan Kenobi

        • Roland Rosier
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 6, 2006
            Hello Douglas and Gregg

            I apologise, but I missed the question about region
            specific features.

            Both iPaqs that the Bluetooth NAP works with were
            purchased in the UK.

            Looking at the HP update site for both the h4700
            and the h2200, it would appear that there is only
            one English ROM image upgrade available and that
            covers US and UK.

            The one thing that I will say about the method I
            used is that neither iPAQ seems to want to
            auto-dial, which can get extrememly annoying when
            they drop the connection because it is necessary
            to go in via the bluetooth manager to re-start it.

            I do wonder if setting the slug up as a bluetooth
            modem would get over this issue. If I get the
            time I will investigate and let you know.
            However, I haven't set up a bluetooth modem
            before, so it might take me a while to figure it
            out.

            Regards (and again apologies for the missed question)
            Roland