Re: Rtorrent, how does it work?

  • ciaranmcnulty
    Message 1 of 29 , Feb 2 4:45 AM
      Yep, same problem here! I'm also finding that the torrent file sizes
      are incorrectly reported.

      I found some references to this happening when certain compile flags
      are left off, so maybe the ipkg version of rtorrent is broken?

      -Ciaran

      -- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "ecarril" <ecarril@...> wrote:

      > here i tested and found the same problem.
      > rtorrent works fine, find peers when i open a torrent tracker, but
      > notdata is sent/received.
      > ctorrent using the same port range works fine.
      >
      > E.
      >
      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Ludo" <nslu2@l...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Thanks Rich,
      > >
      > > Maybe I am overlooking something quite obvious,
      > >
      > > Let's hope it works for you, then I'm sure it's me.
      > >
      > > Ludo

      [ads removed by moderator. - please remove all ads from your reply messages]
    • Sean Carolan
      Message 2 of 29 , Nov 10, 2006
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "ecarril" <ecarril@...> wrote:

        > here i tested and found the same problem.
        > rtorrent works fine, find peers when i open a torrent tracker, but
        > notdata is sent/received.
        > ctorrent using the same port range works fine.
        >
        > E.

        Exact same problem here. Pity, because rtorrent is such a cool
        client. Anyone else know how to fix this problem?
      • Ciemon Dunville
        Message 3 of 29 , Nov 11, 2006
          On 11/11/06, Sean Carolan <sean@...> wrote:
          > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "ecarril" <ecarril@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > here i tested and found the same problem.
          > > rtorrent works fine, find peers when i open a torrent tracker, but
          > > notdata is sent/received.
          > > ctorrent using the same port range works fine.
          > >
          > > E.
          > >

          > Exact same problem here. Pity, because rtorrent is such a cool
          > client. Anyone else know how to fix this problem?

          Have you made sure the correct ports are open? Have a look at
          http://dessent.net/btfaq/#ports

          --Cie
        • Sean Carolan
          Message 4 of 29 , Nov 11, 2006
            > Have you made sure the correct ports are open? Have a look at
            > http://dessent.net/btfaq/#ports
            >
            > --Cie

            Yes, and in fact when I forward those same ports to another computer
            on the the network, Bittorrent works great. It's only the nslu2 that
            doesn't work. I'm wondering if there's something internally that is
            not allowing it to bind to those ports.
          • Razvan Gornea
            Message 5 of 29 , Nov 11, 2006
              Can you provide the output of the command:

              $ netstat -ntl

              and indicate which ports are allocated to rtorrent client. Also how many
              instances of rtorrent are you running?

              Razvan

              On 11/11/06, Sean Carolan <sean@...> wrote:

              > > Have you made sure the correct ports are open? Have a look at
              > > http://dessent.net/btfaq/#ports
              > >
              > > --Cie
              > >

              > Yes, and in fact when I forward those same ports to another computer
              > on the the network, Bittorrent works great. It's only the nslu2 that
              > doesn't work. I'm wondering if there's something internally that is
              > not allowing it to bind to those ports.
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • bb
              Message 6 of 29 , Nov 11, 2006
                i have rtorrent (latest HEAD) working fine on a debianslug nslu2.

                i initially had a problem with another client on my network (utorrent)
                having upnp enabled. this was preventing rtorrent from ever starting a
                torrent.

                _____

                Message 7 of 29 , Nov 11, 2006
                  --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Razvan Gornea" <gornea@...> wrote:

                  > Can you provide the output of the command:
                  >
                  > $ netstat -ntl
                  >
                  > and indicate which ports are allocated to rtorrent client. Also how many
                  > instances of rtorrent are you running?

                  Hi Razvan, thank you for offering to help. I'm running one instance
                  of rtorrent now, and it uses port 6890. Here's the result of netstat
                  -ntl:

                  Active Internet connections (only servers)
                  Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address
                  State
                  tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:1024 0.0.0.0:*
                  LISTEN
                  tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:2049 0.0.0.0:*
                  LISTEN
                  tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:6890 0.0.0.0:*
                  LISTEN
                  tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:139 0.0.0.0:*
                  LISTEN
                  tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:111 0.0.0.0:*
                  LISTEN
                  tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:688 0.0.0.0:*
                  LISTEN
                  tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:80 0.0.0.0:*
                  LISTEN
                  tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:691 0.0.0.0:*
                  LISTEN
                  tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:22 0.0.0.0:*
                  LISTEN
                  tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:2780 0.0.0.0:*
                  LISTEN
                  tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:445 0.0.0.0:*
                  LISTEN

                  Thanks

                  Sean
                • Sean Carolan
                  Message 8 of 29 , Nov 11, 2006
                    > i initially had a problem with another client on my network (utorrent)
                    > having upnp enabled. this was preventing rtorrent from ever starting a
                    > torrent.

                    I actually have upnp turned off already - should I turn it on?

                    Incidentally, I installed enhanced-ctorrent in the meantime and it
                    works fine.
                  • Razvan Gornea
                    Message 9 of 29 , Nov 11, 2006

                      sorry the command was incomplete. My impression is that you may be using
                      multiple clients allocated to the same port. Probably the first to bind to
                      the port is the only one that works. So again, get root access and try it
                      with the p flag:

                      $ su

                      # netstat -ntlp

                      I get this output (I am leastening on 6999)

                      # netstat -ntlp
                      Active Internet connections (only servers)
                      Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address
                      State PID/Program name
                      tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:6999 0.0.0.0:*
                      LISTEN 2639/rtorrent
                      tcp6 0 0 :::22 :::*
                      LISTEN 1121/sshd

                      check that it is the rtorrent client that's bind to the port:

                      # ps -ef | grep 2639
                      gornea 2639 2638 3 18:23 pts/1 00:00:43 rtorrent
                      root 2653 2650 0 18:42 pts/0 00:00:00 grep 2639

                      If it is OK then check if you have a local firewall preventing access to
                      your port 6890. If there is no problem with firewall than I guess it has
                      something to do with rtorrent configuration and is not related to NSLU2.
                      Check your .rtorrent.rc file, for standard network configuration you only
                      need to set:

                      # Port range to use for listening.
                      port_range = 6890-6890

                      leave unchanged stuff like:

                      # The ip address reported to the tracker.
                      #ip = rakshasa

                      # The ip address the listening socket and outgoing connections is
                      # bound to.
                      #bind = rakshasa

                      What is rtorrent telling you when you start a new torrent? Normally it
                      prints a message in the bottom of the screen when it has encounters an
                      error.

                      Razvan

                    • Sean Carolan
                      Message 10 of 29 , Nov 11, 2006
                        Hi Razvan:

                        Thanks again for sticking with me. I tried what you suggested below:

                        > $ su
                        >
                        > # netstat -ntlp

                        tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:6890 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 1790/rtorrent

                        > check that it is the rtorrent client that's bind to the port:
                        >
                        > # ps -ef | grep 1790

                        bash-3.1# ps -ef | grep 1790
                        1790 ttyp1 root 6616 S rtorrent
                        1801 ttyp2 root 2672 S grep 1790

                        > If it is OK then check if you have a local firewall preventing access to
                        > your port 6890.

                        Nope, my Netgear firewall actually is set to forward traffic to this
                        port on the nslu2.

                        > Check your .rtorrent.rc file, for standard network configuration you
                        only
                        > need to set:
                        >
                        > # Port range to use for listening.
                        > port_range = 6890-6890

                        Done.

                        > What is rtorrent telling you when you start a new torrent? Normally it
                        > prints a message in the bottom of the screen when it has encounters an
                        > error.

                        This is the weird part - rtorrent doesn't output any errors, it just
                        doesn't transfer any data. I can even see a long list of peers that
                        I'm connected to. But the upload and download speeds remain at zero.
                      • Razvan Gornea
                        Message 11 of 29 , Nov 11, 2006

                          it looks OK so probably configuration is OK. Just a few details:

                          your router's firewall is OK because you said that the same port works on
                          other machine on your network. You may have a another firewall on the NSLU2
                          but probably you don't ... anyway this would tell you:

                          # iptables -L

                          the output is easy to understand if you don't have a firewall. If you do it
                          is easier to know what program was used to generate it because otherwise it
                          gets complicated ...

                          Now let's suppose you don't have a local firewall. In this case you should
                          have peers that connect locally and remotely also. If you would have a
                          firewall that cuts access to your leastening port you will have only
                          outgoing connections (those initiated by your client). Here goes an example
                          of peers to one of my torrent:

                          ***
                          Pirates.of.The.Caribbean.2.Dead.Mans.Chest.2006.NTSC.DVDR ***
                          IP UP DOWN PEER C/RE/LO QS DONE
                          REQ SNUB FAILED
                          Peer list 201.24.137.134 0.0 0.0 41.0 r/ui/un 0/0
                          72 Mainline 5.0.0
                          58.69.51.86 0.0 0.0 27.3 r/ci/un 0/0
                          68 uTorrent 1.6.0.0
                          Info 124.106.137.73 0.5 0.0 41.0 l/ci/un 0/0
                          6 unknown
                          81.224.122.28 3.6 0.0 211.6 r/ci/un 1/0
                          30 uTorrent 1.6.0.0

                          The field C/RE/LO is of interess here. Let's take the first client:

                          201.24.137.134 0.0 0.0 41.0 r/ui/un 0/0 72
                          Mainline 5.0.0

                          the r/ui/un means the following:
                          - r : the connection was initiated remotely, so 201.24.137.134 was able to
                          connect to my NSLU2 at port 6999
                          - ui : this client is interested in downloading data from me and is not
                          chocking the connection
                          - un : my client is not interested to download data from him and I am not
                          chocking

                          So now first thing you could check is that the peers you see are all local
                          client, i.e. C=l then it means you have peers but all your connections are
                          initiated from your NSLU2 and no peers can connect to your port. Also check
                          if any of peers is interested in downloading from you, if all of them are
                          RE=un or RE=cn then it is normal you have no upload. Same thing for LO field
                          check if you are interested in downloading from them.

                          If all of this is OK. Check the field on the bottom of the screen:

                          [U 21/22] [S 0/36/192] [F 900/900]

                          The U field is number of connections that do upload versus the maximal
                          number. In my case it means there are 21 connections for upload (or more
                          preciselly interested in upload) over 22 maximum possible. Now the max. is
                          not the product of number of torrents times max. uploads per torrent that
                          you set in config file but rather is determinated by the maximum upload
                          speed you set. I set the max. upload speed to 60 kBy/s because my ADSL line
                          does errors when operated at higher speed and some peers have clients that
                          will bann your client if it does errors especially for torrents on trackers
                          that compile upload/download info. and enforce ration rules. In any case if
                          you see that all peers are not interessed by your data you can check for
                          this type of problem.

                          The S field means number of handshake connections over number of connections
                          over total maximum number of connections. In my example this is limited to
                          192 because this is the max. my router can do. This can be another problem
                          also especially if you already have lots of traffic going on. Usually
                          routers that have a firewall with stateful inspection can do a limited
                          number of translations, for example mine can do 512 outgoing and incoming.
                          More than that it starts to randomly overwrite some of them. You may end up
                          with connections between your router and NSLU2 but they go no further to
                          your peers. If this is the problem then is not enougth to limite the number
                          of connections in rtorrent you will have to limite the number of connections
                          per internal IP in your router so the NSLU2 gets it fair share of traffic.

                          The last field is number of open files over max. open files. Never worked
                          with more than 900 + something files for me, but I guess you will get an
                          error message if this is the problem. Also you should get a message if your
                          client or library version is not compatible with the tracker that manages
                          the torrent.

                          I must say that it is very weird situation as I did have problems with
                          rtorrent but never end up in a situation were there was no error message
                          that could at least indicate a hint about what's going on.

                          Razvan

                        • Sean Carolan
                          Message 12 of 29 , Nov 12, 2006
                            > anyway this would tell you:
                            >
                            > # iptables -L

                            Nope, iptables is not installed.

                            > In this case you should
                            > have peers that connect locally and remotely also.

                            > So now first thing you could check is that the peers you see are all
                            local
                            > client, i.e. C=l then it means you have peers but all your
                            connections are
                            > initiated from your NSLU2 and no peers can connect to your port.

                            I have both l and r entries in the C column.

                            Also check
                            > if any of peers is interested in downloading from you, if all of
                            them are
                            > RE=un or RE=cn then it is normal you have no upload.

                            Yes, they are all un and cn.

                            > Same thing for LO field
                            > check if you are interested in downloading from them.

                            All ci, right down the list.

                            > If all of this is OK. Check the field on the bottom of the screen:
                            >
                            > [U 21/22] [S 0/36/192] [F 900/900]

                            I don't seem to have this U field. I only have S and F:

                            [S 0/15/768] [F 2/128]

                            Sometimes the torrent speed will jump to 0.1 for a half second, but
                            then it goes back to zero. Does rtorrent have any way to generate
                            more detailed logs or error messages?

                            > I must say that it is very weird situation as I did have problems with
                            > rtorrent but never end up in a situation were there was no error message
                            > that could at least indicate a hint about what's going on.

                            Yes, enhanced-ctorrent works fine, but I really hope to get rtorrent
                            working because its much better for managing multiple torrent files.

                            thanks

                            Sean
                          • Sean Carolan
                            Message 13 of 29 , Nov 12, 2006
                              Razvan, I tried running rtorrent with the 'b' flag. (IP changed to
                              protect the innocent)

                              bash-3.1# rtorrent -b *.*.*.*
                              Caught exception: "Could not open port for listening."

                              Could this be a clue to what's wrong?
                            • Razvan Gornea
                              Message 14 of 29 , Nov 12, 2006

                                I am using rtorrent 0.6.2 / libtorrent 0.10.2 / DebianSlug. What is your
                                config exactly and if your are running an older version can you upgrade?

                                My understanding is that the -b flag or this config in .rtorrent.rc file:

                                # The ip address reported to the tracker.
                                #ip = rakshasa

                                # The ip address the listening socket and outgoing connections is
                                # bound to.
                                #bind = rakshasa

                                is to be used if you have multiple interfaces and you have to specified your
                                public address in field "IP reported to tracker". I never had to use these
                                settings. If you used your public address is not going to work.

                                Since another client works fine ... try to upgrade rtorrent. If your are
                                running DebianSlug then just do an

                                # apt-get -V update
                                # apt-get -uV install rtorrent

                                This will take care of propre dependency on libtorrent
                                .
                                Razvan

                              • Sean Carolan
                                Message 15 of 29 , Nov 12, 2006
                                  --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Razvan Gornea" <gornea@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi,
                                  >
                                  > I am using rtorrent 0.6.2 / libtorrent 0.10.2 / DebianSlug. What is your
                                  > config exactly and if your are running an older version can you upgrade?

                                  I'm using unslung beta 6.8, and I noticed the unslung version of
                                  rtorrent is really old - around 0.3 or so. I tried to download and
                                  compile it myself but there were too many missing dependencies and
                                  libraries that were not available in the feed. Maybe if I have time
                                  I'll set up a build environment on my laptop and see if I can figure
                                  it out.

                                  > is to be used if you have multiple interfaces and you have to
                                  specified your
                                  > public address in field "IP reported to tracker". I never had to use
                                  these
                                  > settings.

                                  You are correct.

                                  > Since another client works fine ... try to upgrade rtorrent. If your are
                                  > running DebianSlug then just do an
                                  >
                                  > # apt-get -V update
                                  > # apt-get -uV install rtorrent

                                  Ok, this sort of leads to another question. I spent quite a bit of
                                  time getting my slug set up just the way I want it. There are custom
                                  scripts for keeping my dynamic ip in sync with my hostname, NFS and
                                  SMB shares, etc. How's the upgrade from unslung to debianslug? Is it
                                  hard to do? Will all my settings get wiped out?

                                  I have used Debian before and enjoy it's flexibility and stability.
                                • Rod Whitby
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Nov 12, 2006
                                    Sean Carolan wrote:
                                    > Ok, this sort of leads to another question. I spent quite a bit of
                                    > time getting my slug set up just the way I want it. There are custom
                                    > scripts for keeping my dynamic ip in sync with my hostname, NFS and
                                    > SMB shares, etc. How's the upgrade from unslung to debianslug? Is it
                                    > hard to do? Will all my settings get wiped out?

                                    It's a complete reflash (i.e. there is no upgrade path, it's a
                                    reinstall). It's not hard to do. The only settings that will be
                                    retained are the network settings you entered in the web interface.

                                    -- Rod
                                  • Sean Carolan
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Nov 12, 2006
                                      > It's a complete reflash (i.e. there is no upgrade path, it's a
                                      > reinstall). It's not hard to do. The only settings that will be
                                      > retained are the network settings you entered in the web interface.
                                      >
                                      > -- Rod

                                      Since I only want rtorrent, I'm going to try building an ipkg myself
                                      from source. If that doesn't work then I'll consider an upgrade.
                                    • Sean Carolan
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Nov 12, 2006
                                        > It's a complete reflash (i.e. there is no upgrade path, it's a
                                        > reinstall). It's not hard to do. The only settings that will be
                                        > retained are the network settings you entered in the web interface.
                                        >
                                        > -- Rod

                                        When trying to setup the cross-compiling environment I keep getting
                                        errors. This is on an Ubuntu Edgy Eft system. I heard that the
                                        crosstools will not setup on Edgy. Would someone like to build a new
                                        rtorrent ipkg for me? I'm willing to pay you for this as I'd really
                                        like to have rtorrent working, but don't have a ton of time to spend
                                        compiling and testing myself. Contact me at sean@... if you can
                                        help.
                                      • Razvan Gornea
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Nov 12, 2006
                                          Hi Sean,

                                          I understand your frustrations, sometimes I just wanted to throw my NSLU2 to
                                          the garbage! :)

                                          Still it may be interesting to consider switching to debianslug. I have not
                                          really used the other OS's available for the NSLU2 so I can not comment on
                                          them but debianslug pretty much allows you to do everything. In my case I
                                          only have a laptop. I use the NSLU2 for backup and peer to peer download. If
                                          you start to have a significative amount of download/upload traffic you will
                                          probably need also a couple of tools like unrar and growisofs (to burn DVD).
                                          To my knowledge this stuff is not readily available with cross-compiled
                                          packages so you will have to compile them natively. You can certainly do
                                          this within debianslug for the other options I don't know.

                                          That being said ... the NSLU2 is more like a hobby and sometimes you will
                                          have to spend time taking care of it! As soon as I get some extra money I
                                          will replace it with a PC running Slackware and expose my NSLU2 on a shelf
                                          in the library because it is so cute to look at! :)

                                          Razvan

                                        • Sean Carolan
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Nov 12, 2006
                                            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Razvan Gornea" <gornea@...> wrote:

                                            > Hi Sean,
                                            >
                                            > I understand your frustrations, sometimes I just wanted to throw my
                                            NSLU2 to
                                            > the garbage! :)

                                            Hah, we Linux users are suckers for punishment. If I had a nickel for
                                            every hour I spent tracking down drivers or trying to get some package
                                            working . . .

                                            > That being said ... the NSLU2 is more like a hobby and sometimes you
                                            will
                                            > have to spend time taking care of it! As soon as I get some extra
                                            money I
                                            > will replace it with a PC running Slackware and expose my NSLU2 on a
                                            shelf
                                            > in the library because it is so cute to look at! :)

                                            I'm going to give this one last shot - I'm actually creating a build
                                            environment on the slug, and this has been going on now for about
                                            seven hours. Do people really run gentoo on their slugs? I shudder
                                            to think about how long it takes to compile everything.

                                            If I can get a new rtorrent package built, it's about the last feature
                                            I wanted to add. If not, then I'll make backups of all my config
                                            files and consider making the jump to debianslug. I'll let you know
                                            how it goes - hopefully my build environment will be ready by tomorrow
                                            morning!

                                            thanks

                                            Sean
                                          • Sean Carolan
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Nov 13, 2006
                                              > If I can get a new rtorrent package built, it's about the last feature
                                              > I wanted to add. If not, then I'll make backups of all my config
                                              > files and consider making the jump to debianslug. I'll let you know
                                              > how it goes - hopefully my build environment will be ready by tomorrow
                                              > morning!

                                              Ok, so I managed to get a build environment set up on the slug. Now
                                              there is another problem - I can't build rtorrent without a newer
                                              version of libtorrent. Ok, fair enough. So I setup my libtorrent.mk
                                              file, edit all the variables and try to make the package. Now I get
                                              this error:

                                              checking for openssl... gnome-config: No such file or directory
                                              gnome-config: No such file or directory
                                              Package openssl was not found in the pkg-config search path.
                                              Perhaps you should add the directory containing `openssl.pc'
                                              No package 'openssl' found
                                              configure: error: Could not find openssl's crypto library
                                              ./configure: line 22643: exit: try: numeric argument required
                                              ./configure: line 22643: exit: try: numeric argument required
                                              make: *** [/share/hdd/data/slug/optware/builds/libtorrent/.configured]
                                              Error 255

                                              Any suggestions?
                                            • Mark Zander
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Nov 13, 2006
                                                I've been using rtorrent for about a year now on Openslug 2.7 and
                                                Openslug3.10. I haven't experienced any problems.
                                                It was straight forward to compile from source natively, as long as
                                                you also compiled a few dependent libs and packages.

                                                ######
                                                Some details from my build notes:

                                                Install native compile environment.
                                                ipkg install slugos-native
                                                ipkg install linux-libc-headers-dev
                                                ipkg install libc6-dev - provided 'stdlib.h'
                                                ipkg install libz1 libz-dev libz-doc

                                                Then some support libs.

                                                ipkg install libglib-2.0-0 libglib-2.0-dev libglib-2.0-doc libglib-2.0-utils
                                                ipkg install libcurl-dev libcurl-doc libcurl3 curl curl-doc
                                                ipkg install screen

                                                Then download and compile librtorrent and rtorrent.

                                                ######
                                                Here is my .rtorrent.rc file

                                                # Default directory to download torrents to
                                                directory=/public/SharedVideo/New

                                                # Default session directory. Make sure you don't run multiple instance
                                                # of rtorrent using the same session directory. Perhaps using a
                                                # relative path?
                                                session=/public/torrent/session

                                                # Check hash for finished torrents. Might be usefull until the bug is
                                                # fixed that causes lack of diskspace not to be properly reported.
                                                check_hash=no

                                                # Watch a directory for new torrents, and stop them when they
                                                # are deleted.
                                                schedule=watch_directory,5,5,load_start=/public/torrent/*.torrent
                                                schedule=untied_directory,5,5,stop_untied=

                                                # Stop torrents when reaching upload ratio in percent,
                                                # when also reaching total upload in bytes, or when
                                                # reaching final upload ratio in percent.
                                                # example: stop at ratio 1.0 with at least 200 MB uploaded, or else
                                                ratio 2.0
                                                schedule = ratio,60,60,stop_on_ratio=200,200M,300

                                                # Close torrents when diskspace is low.
                                                schedule = low_diskspace,5,60,close_low_diskspace=100M

                                                # Port range to use for listening
                                                port_range=6960-6969

                                                # Chose a random port for listening
                                                port_random=yes

                                                # Global upload and download rate in KiB. "0" for unlimited.
                                                download_rate = 200
                                                upload_rate = 30

                                                # The ip address reported to the tracker.
                                                ip = Your.Hostname.net

                                                # Set whetever the client should try to connect to UDP trackers.
                                                #use_udp_trackers = yes

                                                # Alternative calls to bind and ip that should handle dynamic ip's.
                                                #schedule = ip_tick,0,1800,ip=rakshasa
                                                #schedule = bind_tick,0,1800,bind=rakshasa

                                                # Encryption options, set to none (default) or any combination of the
                                                following:
                                                # allow_incoming, try_outgoing, require, require_RC4, enable_retry,
                                                prefer_plaintext
                                                #
                                                # The example value allows incoming encrypted connections, starts
                                                unencrypted
                                                # outgoing connections but retries with encryption if they fail, preferring
                                                # plaintext to RC4 encryption after the encrypted handshake
                                                #
                                                #encryption_options = allow_incoming,enable_retry,prefer_plaintext

                                                #
                                                # Do not modify the following parameters unless you know what you're doing.
                                                #

                                                # Hash read-ahead controls how many MB to request the kernel to read
                                                # ahead. If the value is too low the disk may not be fully utilized,
                                                # while if too high the kernel might not be able to keep the read
                                                # pages in memory thus end up trashing.
                                                #hash_read_ahead = 10

                                                # Interval between attempts to check the hash, in milliseconds.
                                                #hash_interval = 100

                                                # Number of attempts to check the hash while using the mincore status,
                                                # before forcing. Overworked systems might need lower values to get a
                                                # decent hash checking rate.
                                                #hash_max_tries = 10

                                                # Max number of files to keep open simultaniously.
                                                #max_open_files = 128

                                                # Number of sockets to simultaneously keep open.
                                                #max_open_sockets = <no default>

                                                # Example of scheduling commands: Switch between two ip's every 5
                                                # seconds.
                                                #schedule = "ip_tick1,5,10,ip=torretta"
                                                #schedule = "ip_tick2,10,10,ip=lampedusa"

                                                # Remove a scheduled event.
                                                #schedule_remove = "ip_tick1"

                                                ######

                                                Zander

                                                Message 23 of 29 , Nov 13, 2006
                                                  --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Mark Zander <mark.zander@...> wrote:

                                                  > I've been using rtorrent for about a year now on Openslug 2.7 and
                                                  > Openslug3.10. I haven't experienced any problems.
                                                  > It was straight forward to compile from source natively, as long as
                                                  > you also compiled a few dependent libs and packages.

                                                  Thanks Mark, I'm using unslung 6.8b. If I'd known rtorrent would give
                                                  me this much trouble I'd have gone straight to openslug or debian.
                                                  I've set up a build environment on the slug and am attempting to make
                                                  updated .ipk files now. I'll post here if I get it working.
                                                • Sean Carolan
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Nov 13, 2006
                                                    > Thanks Mark, I'm using unslung 6.8b. If I'd known rtorrent would give
                                                    > me this much trouble I'd have gone straight to openslug or debian.
                                                    > I've set up a build environment on the slug and am attempting to make
                                                    > updated .ipk files now. I'll post here if I get it working.

                                                    Ok, I gave this my very best shot but couldn't get it working, in
                                                    spite of compiling on three different machines, tweaking variables and
                                                    trying to get help on the IRC channel. If anyone wants to build and
                                                    test rtorrent 0.6.4 on the unslung 6.8 firmware, I'll be happy to pay
                                                    them for the final .ipk package which will also go into the feeds so
                                                    others can benefit. Any takers? Otherwise I'm going to just lay this
                                                    thing to rest and stick with enhanced-ctorrent + screen.
                                                  • Sean Carolan
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Nov 15, 2006
                                                      > Ok, I gave this my very best shot but couldn't get it working, in
                                                      > spite of compiling on three different machines, tweaking variables and
                                                      > trying to get help on the IRC channel. If anyone wants to build and
                                                      > test rtorrent 0.6.4 on the unslung 6.8 firmware, I'll be happy to pay
                                                      > them for the final .ipk package which will also go into the feeds so
                                                      > others can benefit. Any takers? Otherwise I'm going to just lay this
                                                      > thing to rest and stick with enhanced-ctorrent + screen.

                                                      Well after spending way too much time tinkering with unslung, I gave
                                                      in and installed DebianSlug. I've used Debian in the past, and
                                                      currently have Ubuntu installed on my laptop. It's nice to have
                                                      familiar apt-get with all the etch packages ready to go!

                                                      Once the installation was done I managed to get everything I wanted
                                                      set up in about 1/2 hour including ftpcopy, ddclient, nfs, samba, and
                                                      rtorrent. So if anyone's struggling along with broken packages on
                                                      Unslung - I highly recommend upgrading to Debian - once you get it set
                                                      up, it "just works".