Drive failure

  • najindustrializovanija
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2006
      Hi all

      I had a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 hard disk hooked up to my NSLU2 for a
      couple of weeks before it mysteriously stopped working. Unfortunately
      it was a drive failure as documented here:
      http://www.dataclinic.co.uk/hard-disk-smooth-l7250.htm

      My question is- is it sane to leave an NSLU2 switched on 24 hrs a day
      with a usb hdd connected? Has this contributed to my drive failure in
      any way or am I just being paranoid?

      Thanks for any help.
    • Laurent Gilson
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2006
        Hello

        > My question is- is it sane to leave an NSLU2 switched on 24 hrs a day
        > with a usb hdd connected? Has this contributed to my drive failure in
        > any way or am I just being paranoid?

        Yes and no: Did the disc run (spin) 24/7 ? Was it running hot ? Did you
        drop it ?

        These chips fail if the drive is running for a long time in a hot
        enclosure. So:

        - get a good enclosure that keeps the drive cool (Thats a must !)

        - get a drive that spins down after XY min (an alternative is a drive that
        is specified to be used 24/7)

        Autospin down is a problem with stock nslu2 firmware: it may not work.

        cu
      • Bob Cox
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2006
          In article <drsflm+hhve@...>,
          najindustrializovanija <apples@...> wrote:

          > My question is- is it sane to leave an NSLU2 switched on 24 hrs a day
          > with a usb hdd connected? Has this contributed to my drive failure in
          > any way or am I just being paranoid?

          So long as it is not getting too hot in an enclosure, it should be fine.
          After all, a normal Linux box is often used as a server and on 24/7/365.
          My slugs have been on continuously for only just over one month, but so
          far so good. I always used Western Digital Caviar drives BTW.

          http://pippin.co.uk/
        • realpsychodad
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 2, 2006
            Hi

            Thats right. I got a disk with 5 years warranty and îts specified for
            7x24h. (Wasn't more expensive than others) So that should not be a
            problem. But, as mentioned, keep it cool and don't drop it (even 5cm
            can destroy it)

            by

            Psychodad

            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Laurent Gilson" <pumpkin@...>
            wrote:

            > Hello
            >
            > > My question is- is it sane to leave an NSLU2 switched on 24 hrs a
            day
            > > with a usb hdd connected? Has this contributed to my drive
            failure in
            > > any way or am I just being paranoid?
            >
            > Yes and no: Did the disc run (spin) 24/7 ? Was it running hot ? Did
            you
            > drop it ?
            >
            > These chips fail if the drive is running for a long time in a hot
            > enclosure. So:
            >
            > - get a good enclosure that keeps the drive cool (Thats a must !)
            >
            > - get a drive that spins down after XY min (an alternative is a
            drive that
            > is specified to be used 24/7)
            >
            > Autospin down is a problem with stock nslu2 firmware: it may not
            work.

            > cu

          • Philip Johnson
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 5, 2006
              On 2/2/06, najindustrializovanija <apples@...> wrote:
              > I had a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 hard disk hooked up to my NSLU2 for a
              > couple of weeks before it mysteriously stopped working. Unfortunately
              > it was a drive failure as documented here:
              > http://www.dataclinic.co.uk/hard-disk-smooth-l7250.htm
              >
              > My question is- is it sane to leave an NSLU2 switched on 24 hrs a day
              > with a usb hdd connected? Has this contributed to my drive failure in
              > any way or am I just being paranoid?
              >
              > Thanks for any help.

              Hello there.

              I have had a 250GB DMP9 running 24x7x365 on a high-traffic slug for
              over a year now with no problems whatsoever. It isn't set to spin
              down, and I doubt it would be worth it for me to make it do so as it
              is used so much.

              The link you gave in your initial post implies to me that you realize
              that your drive most likely overheated and I would totally agree that
              the reason most external drives fail is due to excessive heat. You
              should be fine running the drive 24/7 as long as you buy a decent
              external enclosure. £50 might seem a lot for a metal box and a chip,
              but (in my experience) you generally get what you pay for when it
              comes to things like this.

              For good heat dissipation you should be looking for aluminium
              enclosure with fins, and optionally enclosures where you can run a
              small fan if you deem necessary. Once you've got a decent enclosure,
              you should be fine running the drive for at least 5 years like Maxtor
              states in the drive specification. Thats as long as the drive isn't
              subject to any shock, however.

              This is quite a hot (excuse the pun) topic, and a lot of people have
              differing views - but these are mine based on experience.

              Regards,
              ----
              Philip Johnson (PlasticMonkey) <plasticmonkey@...>
              Office Tel: +44 (0)20 7870 2206 Skype Me: plasticmonkey
              IRC.freenode.net: philipjohnson Jabber/GTalk:
              plasticmonkey@...
              http://www.phillybob.co.uk http://www.pixelgeek.co.uk
              ----
              GPG fingerprint = 3EC6 C5B6 FCF1 1FB5 C071 FF64 E7A3 1E3A 3A8F 766B
              ----