Re: Can't Get Bluetooth Network Access Point to work with iPAQ 1945

  • Douglas Bush
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 2, 2006
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Roland Rosier <rolandrosier@...>

      Roland,

      Much of what I'm reading suggests that iPaqs don't support the full
      Bluetooth protocol stack. Specifically NAP access. What kind of iPaq
      are you using? Is it using an older version of the Microsoft
      Bluetooth stack?

      http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?pagename=bluetoothnetworking

      Regards,

      Douglas.
    • Roland Rosier
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 2, 2006
        Hello Douglas,

        I've successfully tried the NAP stuff with an h2200
        iPAQ and
        an h4700 iPAQ. Both of these run PocketPC 2003.

        I don't know anyone with an 1945 type iPAQ I could
        try.

        However, my old iPAQ 3630 doesn't appear to have the
        necessary
        things in it to use bluetooth, although that could be
        because I
        don't actually have an external bluetooth adapter I
        can plug
        into it to try and the iPAQ 3630 only recognises
        Ethernet
        Drivers by default. The iPAQ 3630 runs Windows CE 3.0.

        I did find an article at
        http://www.mobiletechreview.com/ipaq_1940.htm
        claiming that the iPAQ 1945 has PocketPC 2003 on it,
        and has a
        picture of the bluetooth manager. I find that
        selecting the
        "Explore a Bluetooth device" shown as selected in the
        picture
        enables the iPAQ connect to a NAP.

        If you iPAQ won't support a NAP, I don't know of
        another way to
        connect. Maybe someone else on this list might do,
        however.

        Regards,
        Roland

      • Douglas Bush
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 6, 2006
          <rolandrosier@...> wrote:

          > Hello Douglas,
          >
          > I've successfully tried the NAP stuff with an h2200
          > iPAQ and an h4700 iPAQ. Both of these run PocketPC 2003.
          >
          > I don't know anyone with an 1945 type iPAQ I could try.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Roland

          Roland,

          I have DUN working with my PDA, but I may try your recommendations.

          I'm curious, but what country to do you live in?

          In snooping around, I've noticed that DLink doesn't sell its NAP in
          North America, but they sell it pretty much anywhere else.

          Microsoft's Bluetooth stack (which is installed by default, no
          matter what the manufacturer ships with its install disc) does not
          perform NAP activities. It sets up a PPP link.

          Regards,

          Douglas.
        • Gregg C Levine
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 6, 2006
            Hello from Gregg C Levine
            (Standard disclaimer: My NSLU2 is still on order. And my Bluetooth
            dongle is also on order. As is the PDA. All from the same shop.)

            Doug, I confess I haven't been following the discussions closely.
            However one question sticks into my mind, who does make your unit?
            Theoretically all units available as of 2002 Summer should be wearing
            Pocket PC 2003. Again there are some things to consider, one is that
            the region where Roland for example bought his, may have released
            specific features.

            I should also add that it is possible to create your own image of
            Pocket PC 2003 from resources from those characters that are freely
            available.

            However, regarding that subject I am willing to discuss it with you
            off list as I do not want to clog the list with issues that aren't
            NSLU2 relevant.

            Also you might want to try different company Bluetooth adapters. I
            just examined the website for the D-Link adapter that I've seen for
            sale in CompUSA for example, and they do not mention that alternate
            protocol. I suspect I'd need to peruse their data sheets. But then
            again their (CompUSA) adapters don't as well mention that fact as
            well.
            ---
            Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@...
            ---
            "Remember the Force will be with you. Always." Obi-Wan Kenobi

          • Roland Rosier
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 6, 2006
              Hello Douglas and Gregg

              I apologise, but I missed the question about region
              specific features.

              Both iPaqs that the Bluetooth NAP works with were
              purchased in the UK.

              Looking at the HP update site for both the h4700
              and the h2200, it would appear that there is only
              one English ROM image upgrade available and that
              covers US and UK.

              The one thing that I will say about the method I
              used is that neither iPAQ seems to want to
              auto-dial, which can get extrememly annoying when
              they drop the connection because it is necessary
              to go in via the bluetooth manager to re-start it.

              I do wonder if setting the slug up as a bluetooth
              modem would get over this issue. If I get the
              time I will investigate and let you know.
              However, I haven't set up a bluetooth modem
              before, so it might take me a while to figure it
              out.

              Regards (and again apologies for the missed question)
              Roland