Re: [nslu2-general] Mapping the slug as a drive over the net

  • Lennart Börjeson
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006
      The closest thing I know of is WinSCP, http://winscp.net/.

      /Lennart

      --
      !++
      ! Lennart Börjeson
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006
        Hi!

        > The closest thing I know of is WinSCP, http://winscp.net/.
        > /Lennart

        But WinSCP doesn't allow you to map the drive.....

        Bye,
        Oliver
      • c.j.watts@g7pvl.biz
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006
          Unless you load something other than Linksys firmware and run openvpn the only thing I can think of is buy a VPN router and set up a tunnel between the NSLU2 and the net.

          Chris

          >Perhaps I should have mentioned...
          >
          >The slug is running the Linksys firmware (R63) and the client
          >machine will always be Windows.
          >
          >Simon

        • Lennart Börjeson
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006
            Oops...

            I assumed you were running either unslung or openslug, sorry.

            The stock Linksys firmware can only export Windows shares. While possible, it
            is not a good idea to expose Windows share on the Internet. As soon as your
            SMB ports are visible on the net, your slug will be assualted by breakin
            attempts, which, even if the slug will probably resist them better than a
            Windows system, will at the least steal bandwidth from your Internet
            connection and CPU capacity from your slug which will be busy rejecting
            access requests.

            The only way to do it would be to have some kind of VPN gateway between the
            slug and Internet, with a suitable VPN client on your Windows system.

            On the other hand, why can't you install unslung or openslug? Do you need NTFS
            disks? As I wrote in another post, you can use WinSCP on a Windows client to
            access openssh on the slug.

            /Lennart

            --
            !++
            ! Lennart Börjeson
            ! Starrängsringen 2
            ! S-115 50 STOCKHOLM
            ! Sverige/Sweden/Schweden/Suède
            ! mailto:Lennart.Borjeson@...
            ! phone:+46-8-6644216
            ! gsm:+46-70-5555150
            !--
          • Ludo
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006

              You can open the SMB port on your firewall/router, but that would be kind of
              risky. Or call it st*p*d:)

              Yes, the best normal practice would be to buy a cheap VPN enabled router,
              like the Draytek Vigor range (2200 for cable internet for instance, capable
              of doing 8 simultaneous VPN connections to the router itself) for about
              80euros. This I do all the time to connect to home. You won't need another
              computer arranging VPN traffic, the router does it all by itself. VPN to the
              router and you can connect to every computer connected to the router (in
              router, by hub/switch or by wifi accesspoint for example) at your (home)
              location. Easy to set up too.

              That way you'll have save and encrypted traffic over VPN, and behave on the
              Net as you would do at home.

              Good luck,

              Ludo

              > Unless you load something other than Linksys firmware and run openvpn the
              > only thing I can think of is buy a VPN router and set up a tunnel between
              > the NSLU2 and the net.
              >
              > Chris
              >

              >>Perhaps I should have mentioned...
              >>
              >>The slug is running the Linksys firmware (R63) and the client
              >>machine will always be Windows.
              >>
              >>Simon
              >>

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Vincent Fare
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006
                Hi !

                Yep for my part too, it's the best solution.
                Except that I tried to install it on a synology DS 101, and it seems to
                be impossible just because of the file tun.o
                I think there non problem on nslu2, but is there anyone who try and
                success on a DS 101 ?

                byebye.
                Vincent.

                Ludo a écrit :

                >Hi,
                >
                >You can open the SMB port on your firewall/router, but that would be kind of
                >risky. Or call it st*p*d:)
                >
                >Yes, the best normal practice would be to buy a cheap VPN enabled router,
                >like the Draytek Vigor range (2200 for cable internet for instance, capable
                >of doing 8 simultaneous VPN connections to the router itself) for about
                >80euros. This I do all the time to connect to home. You won't need another
                >computer arranging VPN traffic, the router does it all by itself. VPN to the
                >router and you can connect to every computer connected to the router (in
                >router, by hub/switch or by wifi accesspoint for example) at your (home)
                >location. Easy to set up too.
                >
                >That way you'll have save and encrypted traffic over VPN, and behave on the
                >Net as you would do at home.
                >
                >Good luck,
                >
                >Ludo

                [ads removed by moderator. - please remove all ads from your reply messages]
              • Matt McNeill
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006
                  Simon,

                  I run Unslung 5.5 with Samba shares which I share over the net.

                  I run Windows XP on my work box.

                  I opened port 22 (SSH) in my firewall which forwards to my slug. I have
                  configured the slug only to accept key authentication as per:

                  http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseOpenSSHForRemoteAccess

                  In this same wiki page there is a section called: "Remote access to
                  Samba shares over SSH". Read this and have a look at the link referenced
                  there;

                  http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2004-May/085358.html

                  this gives you the background to setting up Putty to forward ports 139
                  and 445 over the SSH tunnel and configure the loop-back adapter,
                  particularly the following:

                  --8<--
                  In the properties pages for the new loopback adapter, disable (don't
                  uninstall) "Client for Microsoft Networks", "File and Printer Sharing
                  for Microsoft Networks" and anything else except "Internet Protocol
                  TCP/IP)".

                  In the properties dialog for "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" for the
                  adapter, check "Use the following IP address:" and then give the adapter
                  a fixed IP address (not in the 127.*.*.* range, it will not accept it).
                  --8<--

                  You can then set up a batch file which you just have to run to establish
                  the tunnel (assuming that your key is loaded into pagent) and then you
                  can access your shares via mappings to \\10.0.0.1\myshare\ or something
                  like that. (the samba link above recommends using an ipaddress of
                  222.222.222.222 - but I just use 10.0.0.1).

                  --8<--
                  @echo off

                  ".\plink.exe" username@... -ssh -N -v -batch -L
                  10.0.0.1:139:127.0.0.1:139 -L 10.0.0.1:445:127.0.0.1:445 -L

                  REM If you are running Windows 95 or 98, you can uncomment the following
                  "choice" line to REM insert a delay of 5 seconds before the connection
                  tries to re-establish.

                  REM choice /cX /t:X,5 > nul REM call tunnel.bat
                  --8<--

                  It's easy, nice and neat, and is nowhere near as hard as setting up VPN!

                  Try it out and write back here if you have problems.

                  simonhancock1967 wrote:
                  > I'd like to be able to access the data on my slug over the internet.
                  > If I forward the router port 20-21 to the slug I can access the data
                  > via ftp. If forward port 80 I can get my browser to see the slug main
                  > page and navigate from there. What I'd like to do is just set it up so
                  > the slug just appears as a mapped network drive. I can't seem to get
                  > this to work.
                  >
                  > The main reason for wanting to do this is to have a slug directory as
                  > my music library for ITunes running on my remote computer (Is this
                  > feasible? My upload speed at home is 256kbs).
                  >
                  > Thanks
                • pepesz76
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006
                    Hello Matt,

                    I tried to use your directions and I half way to success.
                    After executing tunnel.bat:

                    ".\plink.exe" username@... -ssh -i auth_key.ppk -N -v -batch -L
                    10.0.0.1:139:127.0.0.1:139 -L 10.0.0.1:445:127.0.0.1:445

                    I got:

                    --8<--
                    Server version: SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_4.2
                    We claim version: SSH-2.0-PuTTY_Release_0.58
                    Using SSH protocol version 2
                    Doing Diffie-Hellman group exchange
                    Doing Diffie-Hellman key exchange
                    Host key fingerprint is:
                    ssh-rsa 1024 f9:ea:f9:cd:ad:a4:51:f9:1a:b0:97:a4:7f:e4:d1:2f
                    Initialised AES-256 client->server encryption
                    Initialised HMAC-SHA1 client->server MAC algorithm
                    Initialised AES-256 server->client encryption
                    Initialised HMAC-SHA1 server->client MAC algorithm
                    Using username "lukasz".
                    Reading private key file "auth_key.ppk"
                    Offered public key
                    Offer of public key accepted
                    Authenticating with public key "rsa-key-20050317"
                    Access granted
                    Local port 10.0.0.1:139 forwarding to 127.0.0.1:139
                    Local port 10.0.0.1:445 forwarding to 127.0.0.1:445 failed: Network error: Permission denied
                    --8<--

                    I'm able to map \\10.0.0.1\myshare but it seems to be slow...
                    How can I solve "Local port 10.0.0.1:445 forwarding to 127.0.0.1:445
                    failed: Network error: Permission denied" problem ? Any idea? Thanks a
                    lot.

                    --
                    Best regards,
                    pepesz76 mailto:pepesz76@...

                  • Matt McNeill
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 3, 2006
                      Ahh yes - I get that error too. The speed is probably slow due to the
                      fact that the little slug is doing a lot of data encryption processing.

                      I think the 445 is the preferred port for XP/2000/2003 to connect to
                      with the TCP/IP samba protocol, and if it fails to make a connection on
                      445 then it defaults to 139. See:

                      http://www.petri.co.il/what's_port_445_in_w2k_xp_2003.htm

                      I would be interested if anyone has any thoughts about the 445
                      permission denied issue.

                      Matt

                      pepesz76 wrote:
                      > Hello Matt,
                      >
                      > I tried to use your directions and I half way to success.
                      > After executing tunnel.bat:
                      >
                      > ".\plink.exe" username@... -ssh -i auth_key.ppk -N -v -batch -L
                      > 10.0.0.1:139:127.0.0.1:139 -L 10.0.0.1:445:127.0.0.1:445
                      >
                      > I got:
                      >
                      > --8<--
                      > Server version: SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_4.2
                      > We claim version: SSH-2.0-PuTTY_Release_0.58
                      > Using SSH protocol version 2
                      > Doing Diffie-Hellman group exchange
                      > Doing Diffie-Hellman key exchange
                      > Host key fingerprint is:
                      > ssh-rsa 1024 f9:ea:f9:cd:ad:a4:51:f9:1a:b0:97:a4:7f:e4:d1:2f
                      > Initialised AES-256 client->server encryption
                      > Initialised HMAC-SHA1 client->server MAC algorithm
                      > Initialised AES-256 server->client encryption
                      > Initialised HMAC-SHA1 server->client MAC algorithm
                      > Using username "lukasz".
                      > Reading private key file "auth_key.ppk"
                      > Offered public key
                      > Offer of public key accepted
                      > Authenticating with public key "rsa-key-20050317"
                      > Access granted
                      > Local port 10.0.0.1:139 forwarding to 127.0.0.1:139
                      > Local port 10.0.0.1:445 forwarding to 127.0.0.1:445 failed: Network error: Permission denied
                      > --8<--
                      >
                      > I'm able to map \\10.0.0.1\myshare but it seems to be slow...
                      > How can I solve "Local port 10.0.0.1:445 forwarding to 127.0.0.1:445
                      > failed: Network error: Permission denied" problem ? Any idea? Thanks a
                      > lot.

                    • pepesz76
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 3, 2006
                        Hello Matt,

                        > Ahh yes - I get that error too. The speed is probably slow due to the
                        > fact that the little slug is doing a lot of data encryption processing.

                        The transfer is about 140kB/s while when I use 'ftp over tls' or 'scp'
                        it goes to 240kB/s (that's my bandwidth). I assume that data
                        encryption processing in that case is more/less the same as in case of
                        samba over ssl?

                        I might be mistaken but the top shows 80% idle when transferring data
                        with samba over ssl (mapping):

                        ---8<---
                        top - 15:42:55 up 1 day, 17:43, 4 users, load average: 1.16, 1.12, 1.06
                        Tasks: 79 total, 1 running, 78 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
                        Cpu(s): 11.7% user, 7.9% system, 0.0% nice, 80.4% idle
                        Mem: 30520k total, 29972k used, 548k free, 688k buffers
                        Swap: 56220k total, 27516k used, 28704k free, 15800k cached

                        3792 lukasz 12 0 1688 1620 1436 S 10.5 5.3 0:18.28 sshd
                        3797 root 16 0 996 996 772 R 4.8 3.3 0:05.63 top
                        3794 root 9 0 2240 2216 1908 S 1.3 7.3 0:03.59 smbd
                        53 root 10 0 0 0 0 D 1.0 0.0 10:01.67 ixp425_csr
                        10 root 9 0 0 0 0 S 0.3 0.0 0:31.68 usb-storage-1
                        3712 root 9 0 1088 896 896 S 0.3 2.9 0:06.55 sshd
                        ---8<---

                        --
                        Best regards,
                        pepesz76 mailto:pepesz76@...
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 4, 2006
                          Good point Pep,

                          I haven't broken down any metrics to the detail that you did. Definitely
                          something in what you say. I have no idea why we can't forward to 445,
                          and since my slug crashed last week I can't do any testing myself.

                          Let me know if you find out anything further.

                          Matt

                          pepesz76 wrote:
                          > Hello Matt,
                          >
                          > Friday, February 3, 2006, 2:32:03 PM, you wrote:
                          >
                          >> Ahh yes - I get that error too. The speed is probably slow due to the
                          >> fact that the little slug is doing a lot of data encryption processing.
                          >

                          > The transfer is about 140kB/s while when I use 'ftp over tls' or 'scp'
                          > it goes to 240kB/s (that's my bandwidth). I assume that data
                          > encryption processing in that case is more/less the same as in case of
                          > samba over ssl?
                          >
                          > I might be mistaken but the top shows 80% idle when transferring data
                          > with samba over ssl (mapping):
                          >
                          > ---8<---
                          > top - 15:42:55 up 1 day, 17:43, 4 users, load average: 1.16, 1.12, 1.06
                          > Tasks: 79 total, 1 running, 78 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
                          > Cpu(s): 11.7% user, 7.9% system, 0.0% nice, 80.4% idle
                          > Mem: 30520k total, 29972k used, 548k free, 688k buffers
                          > Swap: 56220k total, 27516k used, 28704k free, 15800k cached
                          >
                          > PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
                          > 3792 lukasz 12 0 1688 1620 1436 S 10.5 5.3 0:18.28 sshd
                          > 3797 root 16 0 996 996 772 R 4.8 3.3 0:05.63 top
                          > 3794 root 9 0 2240 2216 1908 S 1.3 7.3 0:03.59 smbd
                          > 53 root 10 0 0 0 0 D 1.0 0.0 10:01.67 ixp425_csr
                          > 10 root 9 0 0 0 0 S 0.3 0.0 0:31.68 usb-storage-1
                          > 3712 root 9 0 1088 896 896 S 0.3 2.9 0:06.55 sshd
                          > ---8<---

                        • Philip Johnson
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 4, 2006
                            (apologies if part of all of this email is formatted incorrectly, not
                            using my normal email client)

                            On 2/2/06, simonhancock1967 <simon@...> wrote:
                            > [snippety snip]
                            > What I'd like to do is just set it up so
                            > the slug just appears as a mapped network drive.
                            > [snippety snip]

                            How about Apache + WebDAV? Practically every modern operating supports
                            mounting and mapping WebDAV shares as a drive, and its reasonably easy
                            to get working too.
                            Googling apache + webdav brings up a plethora of results.

                            Regards,
                            ----
                            Philip Johnson (PlasticMonkey) <plasticmonkey@...>
                            Office Tel: +44 (0)20 7870 2206 Skype Me: plasticmonkey
                            IRC.freenode.net: philipjohnson Jabber/GTalk:
                            plasticmonkey@...
                            http://www.phillybob.co.uk http://www.pixelgeek.co.uk
                            ----
                            GPG fingerprint = 3EC6 C5B6 FCF1 1FB5 C071 FF64 E7A3 1E3A 3A8F 766B
                            ----