Mapping the slug as a drive over the net

  • simonhancock1967
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006
      I'd like to be able to access the data on my slug over the internet.
      If I forward the router port 20-21 to the slug I can access the data
      via ftp. If forward port 80 I can get my browser to see the slug main
      page and navigate from there. What I'd like to do is just set it up so
      the slug just appears as a mapped network drive. I can't seem to get
      this to work.

      The main reason for wanting to do this is to have a slug directory as
      my music library for ITunes running on my remote computer (Is this
      feasible? My upload speed at home is 256kbs).

      Thanks
    • Lennart Börjeson
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006
        I do this with a combination of

        openssh on the slug
        fuse and sshfs on the client

        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseOpenSSHForRemoteAccess
        http://fuse.sourceforge.net/
        http://fuse.sourceforge.net/sshfs.html

        /Lennart

        --
        !++
        ! Lennart Börjeson

        --
        !++
        ! Lennart Börjeson
        ! Sverige/Sweden/Schweden/Suède
        ! mailto:Lennart.Borjeson@...
        ! phone:+46-8-6644216
        ! gsm:+46-70-5555150
        !--
      • Oliver Voelker
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006
          Hi!

          > I'd like to be able to access the data on my slug over the internet.
          > If I forward the router port 20-21 to the slug I can access the data
          > via ftp. If forward port 80 I can get my browser to see the slug main
          > page and navigate from there. What I'd like to do is just set it up so
          > the slug just appears as a mapped network drive. I can't seem to get
          > this to work.

          You could create a samba share on the Slug....
          I've no idea how to map a ftp directory as a network drive....

          Bye,
          Oliver
        • Oliver Voelker
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006
            Hi!

            > Von: Lennart Börjeson <Lennart.Borjeson@...>
            > fuse and sshfs on the client

            This will only work on Linux clients...
            Is there a way to do something like this with a Windows client?

            Bye,
            Oliver
          • simonhancock1967
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006
              Perhaps I should have mentioned...

              The slug is running the Linksys firmware (R63) and the client
              machine will always be Windows.

              Simon

              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Lennart Börjeson
              <Lennart.Borjeson@...> wrote:

              > I do this with a combination of
              >
              > openssh on the slug
              > fuse and sshfs on the client

              > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseOpenSSHForRemoteAccess
              > http://fuse.sourceforge.net/
              > http://fuse.sourceforge.net/sshfs.html
              >
              > /Lennart
              >
              > torsdag 02 februari 2006 10:44 skrev simonhancock1967:
              > > I'd like to be able to access the data on my slug over the
              internet.
              > > If I forward the router port 20-21 to the slug I can access the
              data
              > > via ftp. If forward port 80 I can get my browser to see the slug
              main
              > > page and navigate from there. What I'd like to do is just set it
              up so
              > > the slug just appears as a mapped network drive. I can't seem to
              get
              > > this to work.
              > >
              > > The main reason for wanting to do this is to have a slug
              directory as
              > > my music library for ITunes running on my remote computer (Is
              this
              > > feasible? My upload speed at home is 256kbs).
              > >
              > > Thanks

            • Lennart Börjeson
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006
                The closest thing I know of is WinSCP, http://winscp.net/.

                /Lennart

                --
                !++
                ! Lennart Börjeson
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006
                  Hi!

                  > The closest thing I know of is WinSCP, http://winscp.net/.
                  > /Lennart

                  But WinSCP doesn't allow you to map the drive.....

                  Bye,
                  Oliver
                • c.j.watts@g7pvl.biz
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006
                    Unless you load something other than Linksys firmware and run openvpn the only thing I can think of is buy a VPN router and set up a tunnel between the NSLU2 and the net.

                    Chris

                    >Perhaps I should have mentioned...
                    >
                    >The slug is running the Linksys firmware (R63) and the client
                    >machine will always be Windows.
                    >
                    >Simon

                  • Lennart Börjeson
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006
                      Oops...

                      I assumed you were running either unslung or openslug, sorry.

                      The stock Linksys firmware can only export Windows shares. While possible, it
                      is not a good idea to expose Windows share on the Internet. As soon as your
                      SMB ports are visible on the net, your slug will be assualted by breakin
                      attempts, which, even if the slug will probably resist them better than a
                      Windows system, will at the least steal bandwidth from your Internet
                      connection and CPU capacity from your slug which will be busy rejecting
                      access requests.

                      The only way to do it would be to have some kind of VPN gateway between the
                      slug and Internet, with a suitable VPN client on your Windows system.

                      On the other hand, why can't you install unslung or openslug? Do you need NTFS
                      disks? As I wrote in another post, you can use WinSCP on a Windows client to
                      access openssh on the slug.

                      /Lennart

                      --
                      !++
                      ! Lennart Börjeson
                      ! Sverige/Sweden/Schweden/Suède
                      ! mailto:Lennart.Borjeson@...
                      ! phone:+46-8-6644216
                      ! gsm:+46-70-5555150
                      !--
                    • Ludo
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006

                        You can open the SMB port on your firewall/router, but that would be kind of
                        risky. Or call it st*p*d:)

                        Yes, the best normal practice would be to buy a cheap VPN enabled router,
                        like the Draytek Vigor range (2200 for cable internet for instance, capable
                        of doing 8 simultaneous VPN connections to the router itself) for about
                        80euros. This I do all the time to connect to home. You won't need another
                        computer arranging VPN traffic, the router does it all by itself. VPN to the
                        router and you can connect to every computer connected to the router (in
                        router, by hub/switch or by wifi accesspoint for example) at your (home)
                        location. Easy to set up too.

                        That way you'll have save and encrypted traffic over VPN, and behave on the
                        Net as you would do at home.

                        Good luck,

                        Ludo

                        > Unless you load something other than Linksys firmware and run openvpn the
                        > only thing I can think of is buy a VPN router and set up a tunnel between
                        > the NSLU2 and the net.
                        >
                        > Chris
                        >

                        >>Perhaps I should have mentioned...
                        >>
                        >>The slug is running the Linksys firmware (R63) and the client
                        >>machine will always be Windows.
                        >>
                        >>Simon
                        >>

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Vincent Fare
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006
                          Hi !

                          Yep for my part too, it's the best solution.
                          Except that I tried to install it on a synology DS 101, and it seems to
                          be impossible just because of the file tun.o
                          I think there non problem on nslu2, but is there anyone who try and
                          success on a DS 101 ?

                          byebye.
                          Vincent.

                          Ludo a écrit :

                          >Hi,
                          >
                          >You can open the SMB port on your firewall/router, but that would be kind of
                          >risky. Or call it st*p*d:)
                          >
                          >Yes, the best normal practice would be to buy a cheap VPN enabled router,
                          >like the Draytek Vigor range (2200 for cable internet for instance, capable
                          >of doing 8 simultaneous VPN connections to the router itself) for about
                          >80euros. This I do all the time to connect to home. You won't need another
                          >computer arranging VPN traffic, the router does it all by itself. VPN to the
                          >router and you can connect to every computer connected to the router (in
                          >router, by hub/switch or by wifi accesspoint for example) at your (home)
                          >location. Easy to set up too.
                          >
                          >That way you'll have save and encrypted traffic over VPN, and behave on the
                          >Net as you would do at home.
                          >
                          >Good luck,
                          >
                          >Ludo

                          [ads removed by moderator. - please remove all ads from your reply messages]
                        • Matt McNeill
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006
                            Simon,

                            I run Unslung 5.5 with Samba shares which I share over the net.

                            I run Windows XP on my work box.

                            I opened port 22 (SSH) in my firewall which forwards to my slug. I have
                            configured the slug only to accept key authentication as per:

                            http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseOpenSSHForRemoteAccess

                            In this same wiki page there is a section called: "Remote access to
                            Samba shares over SSH". Read this and have a look at the link referenced
                            there;

                            http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2004-May/085358.html

                            this gives you the background to setting up Putty to forward ports 139
                            and 445 over the SSH tunnel and configure the loop-back adapter,
                            particularly the following:

                            --8<--
                            In the properties pages for the new loopback adapter, disable (don't
                            uninstall) "Client for Microsoft Networks", "File and Printer Sharing
                            for Microsoft Networks" and anything else except "Internet Protocol
                            TCP/IP)".

                            In the properties dialog for "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" for the
                            adapter, check "Use the following IP address:" and then give the adapter
                            a fixed IP address (not in the 127.*.*.* range, it will not accept it).
                            --8<--

                            You can then set up a batch file which you just have to run to establish
                            the tunnel (assuming that your key is loaded into pagent) and then you
                            can access your shares via mappings to \\10.0.0.1\myshare\ or something
                            like that. (the samba link above recommends using an ipaddress of
                            222.222.222.222 - but I just use 10.0.0.1).

                            --8<--
                            @echo off

                            ".\plink.exe" username@... -ssh -N -v -batch -L
                            10.0.0.1:139:127.0.0.1:139 -L 10.0.0.1:445:127.0.0.1:445 -L

                            REM If you are running Windows 95 or 98, you can uncomment the following
                            "choice" line to REM insert a delay of 5 seconds before the connection
                            tries to re-establish.

                            REM choice /cX /t:X,5 > nul REM call tunnel.bat
                            --8<--

                            It's easy, nice and neat, and is nowhere near as hard as setting up VPN!

                            Try it out and write back here if you have problems.

                            simonhancock1967 wrote:
                            > I'd like to be able to access the data on my slug over the internet.
                            > If I forward the router port 20-21 to the slug I can access the data
                            > via ftp. If forward port 80 I can get my browser to see the slug main
                            > page and navigate from there. What I'd like to do is just set it up so
                            > the slug just appears as a mapped network drive. I can't seem to get
                            > this to work.
                            >
                            > The main reason for wanting to do this is to have a slug directory as
                            > my music library for ITunes running on my remote computer (Is this
                            > feasible? My upload speed at home is 256kbs).
                            >
                            > Thanks
                          • pepesz76
                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006
                              Hello Matt,

                              I tried to use your directions and I half way to success.
                              After executing tunnel.bat:

                              ".\plink.exe" username@... -ssh -i auth_key.ppk -N -v -batch -L
                              10.0.0.1:139:127.0.0.1:139 -L 10.0.0.1:445:127.0.0.1:445

                              I got:

                              --8<--
                              Server version: SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_4.2
                              We claim version: SSH-2.0-PuTTY_Release_0.58
                              Using SSH protocol version 2
                              Doing Diffie-Hellman group exchange
                              Doing Diffie-Hellman key exchange
                              Host key fingerprint is:
                              ssh-rsa 1024 f9:ea:f9:cd:ad:a4:51:f9:1a:b0:97:a4:7f:e4:d1:2f
                              Initialised AES-256 client->server encryption
                              Initialised HMAC-SHA1 client->server MAC algorithm
                              Initialised AES-256 server->client encryption
                              Initialised HMAC-SHA1 server->client MAC algorithm
                              Using username "lukasz".
                              Reading private key file "auth_key.ppk"
                              Offered public key
                              Offer of public key accepted
                              Authenticating with public key "rsa-key-20050317"
                              Access granted
                              Local port 10.0.0.1:139 forwarding to 127.0.0.1:139
                              Local port 10.0.0.1:445 forwarding to 127.0.0.1:445 failed: Network error: Permission denied
                              --8<--

                              I'm able to map \\10.0.0.1\myshare but it seems to be slow...
                              How can I solve "Local port 10.0.0.1:445 forwarding to 127.0.0.1:445
                              failed: Network error: Permission denied" problem ? Any idea? Thanks a
                              lot.

                              --
                              Best regards,
                              pepesz76 mailto:pepesz76@...

                            • Matt McNeill
                              Message 14 of 17 , Feb 3, 2006
                                Ahh yes - I get that error too. The speed is probably slow due to the
                                fact that the little slug is doing a lot of data encryption processing.

                                I think the 445 is the preferred port for XP/2000/2003 to connect to
                                with the TCP/IP samba protocol, and if it fails to make a connection on
                                445 then it defaults to 139. See:

                                http://www.petri.co.il/what's_port_445_in_w2k_xp_2003.htm

                                I would be interested if anyone has any thoughts about the 445
                                permission denied issue.

                                Matt

                                pepesz76 wrote:
                                > Hello Matt,
                                >
                                > I tried to use your directions and I half way to success.
                                > After executing tunnel.bat:
                                >
                                > ".\plink.exe" username@... -ssh -i auth_key.ppk -N -v -batch -L
                                > 10.0.0.1:139:127.0.0.1:139 -L 10.0.0.1:445:127.0.0.1:445
                                >
                                > I got:
                                >
                                > --8<--
                                > Server version: SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_4.2
                                > We claim version: SSH-2.0-PuTTY_Release_0.58
                                > Using SSH protocol version 2
                                > Doing Diffie-Hellman group exchange
                                > Doing Diffie-Hellman key exchange
                                > Host key fingerprint is:
                                > ssh-rsa 1024 f9:ea:f9:cd:ad:a4:51:f9:1a:b0:97:a4:7f:e4:d1:2f
                                > Initialised AES-256 client->server encryption
                                > Initialised HMAC-SHA1 client->server MAC algorithm
                                > Initialised AES-256 server->client encryption
                                > Initialised HMAC-SHA1 server->client MAC algorithm
                                > Using username "lukasz".
                                > Reading private key file "auth_key.ppk"
                                > Offered public key
                                > Offer of public key accepted
                                > Authenticating with public key "rsa-key-20050317"
                                > Access granted
                                > Local port 10.0.0.1:139 forwarding to 127.0.0.1:139
                                > Local port 10.0.0.1:445 forwarding to 127.0.0.1:445 failed: Network error: Permission denied
                                > --8<--
                                >
                                > I'm able to map \\10.0.0.1\myshare but it seems to be slow...
                                > How can I solve "Local port 10.0.0.1:445 forwarding to 127.0.0.1:445
                                > failed: Network error: Permission denied" problem ? Any idea? Thanks a
                                > lot.

                              • pepesz76
                                Message 15 of 17 , Feb 3, 2006
                                  Hello Matt,

                                  > Ahh yes - I get that error too. The speed is probably slow due to the
                                  > fact that the little slug is doing a lot of data encryption processing.

                                  The transfer is about 140kB/s while when I use 'ftp over tls' or 'scp'
                                  it goes to 240kB/s (that's my bandwidth). I assume that data
                                  encryption processing in that case is more/less the same as in case of
                                  samba over ssl?

                                  I might be mistaken but the top shows 80% idle when transferring data
                                  with samba over ssl (mapping):

                                  ---8<---
                                  top - 15:42:55 up 1 day, 17:43, 4 users, load average: 1.16, 1.12, 1.06
                                  Tasks: 79 total, 1 running, 78 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
                                  Cpu(s): 11.7% user, 7.9% system, 0.0% nice, 80.4% idle
                                  Mem: 30520k total, 29972k used, 548k free, 688k buffers
                                  Swap: 56220k total, 27516k used, 28704k free, 15800k cached

                                  3792 lukasz 12 0 1688 1620 1436 S 10.5 5.3 0:18.28 sshd
                                  3797 root 16 0 996 996 772 R 4.8 3.3 0:05.63 top
                                  3794 root 9 0 2240 2216 1908 S 1.3 7.3 0:03.59 smbd
                                  53 root 10 0 0 0 0 D 1.0 0.0 10:01.67 ixp425_csr
                                  10 root 9 0 0 0 0 S 0.3 0.0 0:31.68 usb-storage-1
                                  3712 root 9 0 1088 896 896 S 0.3 2.9 0:06.55 sshd
                                  ---8<---

                                  --
                                  Best regards,
                                  pepesz76 mailto:pepesz76@...
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Feb 4, 2006
                                    Good point Pep,

                                    I haven't broken down any metrics to the detail that you did. Definitely
                                    something in what you say. I have no idea why we can't forward to 445,
                                    and since my slug crashed last week I can't do any testing myself.

                                    Let me know if you find out anything further.

                                    Matt

                                    pepesz76 wrote:
                                    > Hello Matt,
                                    >
                                    > Friday, February 3, 2006, 2:32:03 PM, you wrote:
                                    >
                                    >> Ahh yes - I get that error too. The speed is probably slow due to the
                                    >> fact that the little slug is doing a lot of data encryption processing.
                                    >

                                    > The transfer is about 140kB/s while when I use 'ftp over tls' or 'scp'
                                    > it goes to 240kB/s (that's my bandwidth). I assume that data
                                    > encryption processing in that case is more/less the same as in case of
                                    > samba over ssl?
                                    >
                                    > I might be mistaken but the top shows 80% idle when transferring data
                                    > with samba over ssl (mapping):
                                    >
                                    > ---8<---
                                    > top - 15:42:55 up 1 day, 17:43, 4 users, load average: 1.16, 1.12, 1.06
                                    > Tasks: 79 total, 1 running, 78 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
                                    > Cpu(s): 11.7% user, 7.9% system, 0.0% nice, 80.4% idle
                                    > Mem: 30520k total, 29972k used, 548k free, 688k buffers
                                    > Swap: 56220k total, 27516k used, 28704k free, 15800k cached
                                    >
                                    > PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
                                    > 3792 lukasz 12 0 1688 1620 1436 S 10.5 5.3 0:18.28 sshd
                                    > 3797 root 16 0 996 996 772 R 4.8 3.3 0:05.63 top
                                    > 3794 root 9 0 2240 2216 1908 S 1.3 7.3 0:03.59 smbd
                                    > 53 root 10 0 0 0 0 D 1.0 0.0 10:01.67 ixp425_csr
                                    > 10 root 9 0 0 0 0 S 0.3 0.0 0:31.68 usb-storage-1
                                    > 3712 root 9 0 1088 896 896 S 0.3 2.9 0:06.55 sshd
                                    > ---8<---

                                  • Philip Johnson
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Feb 4, 2006
                                      (apologies if part of all of this email is formatted incorrectly, not
                                      using my normal email client)

                                      On 2/2/06, simonhancock1967 <simon@...> wrote:
                                      > [snippety snip]
                                      > What I'd like to do is just set it up so
                                      > the slug just appears as a mapped network drive.
                                      > [snippety snip]

                                      How about Apache + WebDAV? Practically every modern operating supports
                                      mounting and mapping WebDAV shares as a drive, and its reasonably easy
                                      to get working too.
                                      Googling apache + webdav brings up a plethora of results.

                                      Regards,
                                      ----
                                      Philip Johnson (PlasticMonkey) <plasticmonkey@...>
                                      Office Tel: +44 (0)20 7870 2206 Skype Me: plasticmonkey
                                      IRC.freenode.net: philipjohnson Jabber/GTalk:
                                      plasticmonkey@...
                                      http://www.phillybob.co.uk http://www.pixelgeek.co.uk
                                      ----
                                      GPG fingerprint = 3EC6 C5B6 FCF1 1FB5 C071 FF64 E7A3 1E3A 3A8F 766B
                                      ----