Re: hacking nslu2 w/o USB hard drive

  • stopcastingporosity
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 28, 2004
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "pindividual"
      <pindividual@y...>
      wrote:
      > I've done some reading into nslu2 hacking on nslu2-linux and tom's.
      > I'm familiar with linux but new to the nslu2. Based on what I read,
      > thought I would be able to telnet in using the following method
      > (below) despite the fact that I have _no_USB_hard_drive_ ..

      <my eyes started glazing over around here>

      This probably should be in the nslu2-linux group (not that I really
      checked there) but I wold think the easiest way to telnet into the
      slug without a USB drive would be to upgrade to unslung 1.11 or
      something, then as you said:

      8) Enable telnet on the nslu2:
      a) open a web browser and login via web
      b) change the url to http:/Management/telnet.cgi + <Enter>
      c) enable telnet by clicking on the <Enable> button

      9) telnet into nslu2:
      telnet 192.168.1.77
      Trying 192.168.1.77...
      Connected to nslu2 (192.168.1.77).
      Escape character is '^]'.

      HWP4F8P25 login: root
      Password: (mypassword)

      The unslung 1.11 firmware had changed the default root password from
      who-knows-what to "uNSLUng".

      OI admit though, I haven't played with slugtool at all, so I have no
      idea if your procedure wold work or not. I'm pretty sure this one
      would.