Re: [nslu2-general] Re: Can't Get Bluetooth Network Access Point to work with iPAQ 1945

  • Roland Rosier
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1 1:05 PM
      Hello Douglas,

      I connect my iPaq to the slug with the technique I
      described.

      I have to use what on my iPaq is called the "Bluetooth
      Manager".

      I create a new connection with its Bluetooth
      connection wizard,
      by using a section called "Explore a Bluetooth
      device".

      It connects to the Slug using it as a Network Access
      Point.

      It is a bit challenging to get it all working because
      WinCE by
      default doesn't provide much in the way of debugging
      information.

      One thing that took me a while to get working was
      ensuring
      that the iPaq had been assigned the correct I.P.
      address.

      Whilst debugging this I found that a utility called
      vxIPConfig
      available from http://www.cam.com/windowsce.html was
      invaluable.

      This tool is free for personal use, as is another of
      their tools
      called vxUtil (Personal). I also found this to be
      handy.

      My iPaq does lose its I.P. address occasionally and I
      don't know
      why. If I check the I.P. address with the vxIPConfig
      at that
      point, it has been reset to something incorrect. By
      default,
      the leases that the dhcpd server provides last for 10
      minutes
      and then get renegotiated. This process seems to fail
      every
      so often, which then results in the iPaq appearing to
      lose its
      connection because it no longer has a valid IP address
      and
      packets bound to or from it no longer get routed.

      If I force a renegotiation with the vxIPConfig tool,
      the iPaq
      can once more talk to the network. I haven't debugged
      this
      behaviour yet, though.

      Hope this helps,
      Roland

      > Roland,
      >
      > Thank you for this reply. I'm very greatful.
      >
      > Have you used this configuration with the Microsoft
      Bluetooth stack
      > in an iPaq?

      > One thing that I've noticed about most information
      regarding
      > Bluetooth in the Linux community, is that it seems
      to be linux to
      > linux communications. I need Linux to Pocket PC
      communications, for
      > which there seems to be relatively little
      information.

      > (I haven't found a reliable to get Linux into my
      HP1945, I'd happily
      > grab any nice clean install distro for it..)
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Douglas.

    • Douglas Bush
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 2 9:26 AM
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Roland Rosier <rolandrosier@...>

        Roland,

        Much of what I'm reading suggests that iPaqs don't support the full
        Bluetooth protocol stack. Specifically NAP access. What kind of iPaq
        are you using? Is it using an older version of the Microsoft
        Bluetooth stack?

        http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?pagename=bluetoothnetworking

        Regards,

        Douglas.
      • Roland Rosier
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 2 1:07 PM
          Hello Douglas,

          I've successfully tried the NAP stuff with an h2200
          iPAQ and
          an h4700 iPAQ. Both of these run PocketPC 2003.

          I don't know anyone with an 1945 type iPAQ I could
          try.

          However, my old iPAQ 3630 doesn't appear to have the
          necessary
          things in it to use bluetooth, although that could be
          because I
          don't actually have an external bluetooth adapter I
          can plug
          into it to try and the iPAQ 3630 only recognises
          Ethernet
          Drivers by default. The iPAQ 3630 runs Windows CE 3.0.

          I did find an article at
          http://www.mobiletechreview.com/ipaq_1940.htm
          claiming that the iPAQ 1945 has PocketPC 2003 on it,
          and has a
          picture of the bluetooth manager. I find that
          selecting the
          "Explore a Bluetooth device" shown as selected in the
          picture
          enables the iPAQ connect to a NAP.

          If you iPAQ won't support a NAP, I don't know of
          another way to
          connect. Maybe someone else on this list might do,
          however.

          Regards,
          Roland

        • Douglas Bush
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 6 2:17 PM
            <rolandrosier@...> wrote:

            > Hello Douglas,
            >
            > I've successfully tried the NAP stuff with an h2200
            > iPAQ and an h4700 iPAQ. Both of these run PocketPC 2003.
            >
            > I don't know anyone with an 1945 type iPAQ I could try.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Roland

            Roland,

            I have DUN working with my PDA, but I may try your recommendations.

            I'm curious, but what country to do you live in?

            In snooping around, I've noticed that DLink doesn't sell its NAP in
            North America, but they sell it pretty much anywhere else.

            Microsoft's Bluetooth stack (which is installed by default, no
            matter what the manufacturer ships with its install disc) does not
            perform NAP activities. It sets up a PPP link.

            Regards,

            Douglas.
          • Gregg C Levine
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 6 2:51 PM
              Hello from Gregg C Levine
              (Standard disclaimer: My NSLU2 is still on order. And my Bluetooth
              dongle is also on order. As is the PDA. All from the same shop.)

              Doug, I confess I haven't been following the discussions closely.
              However one question sticks into my mind, who does make your unit?
              Theoretically all units available as of 2002 Summer should be wearing
              Pocket PC 2003. Again there are some things to consider, one is that
              the region where Roland for example bought his, may have released
              specific features.

              I should also add that it is possible to create your own image of
              Pocket PC 2003 from resources from those characters that are freely
              available.

              However, regarding that subject I am willing to discuss it with you
              off list as I do not want to clog the list with issues that aren't
              NSLU2 relevant.

              Also you might want to try different company Bluetooth adapters. I
              just examined the website for the D-Link adapter that I've seen for
              sale in CompUSA for example, and they do not mention that alternate
              protocol. I suspect I'd need to peruse their data sheets. But then
              again their (CompUSA) adapters don't as well mention that fact as
              well.
              ---
              Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@...
              ---
              "Remember the Force will be with you. Always." Obi-Wan Kenobi

            • Roland Rosier
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 6 10:48 PM
                Hello Douglas and Gregg

                I apologise, but I missed the question about region
                specific features.

                Both iPaqs that the Bluetooth NAP works with were
                purchased in the UK.

                Looking at the HP update site for both the h4700
                and the h2200, it would appear that there is only
                one English ROM image upgrade available and that
                covers US and UK.

                The one thing that I will say about the method I
                used is that neither iPAQ seems to want to
                auto-dial, which can get extrememly annoying when
                they drop the connection because it is necessary
                to go in via the bluetooth manager to re-start it.

                I do wonder if setting the slug up as a bluetooth
                modem would get over this issue. If I get the
                time I will investigate and let you know.
                However, I haven't set up a bluetooth modem
                before, so it might take me a while to figure it
                out.

                Regards (and again apologies for the missed question)
                Roland