Re: Can't Get Bluetooth Network Access Point to work with iPAQ 1945

  • Douglas Bush
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1, 2006
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Roland Rosier
      <rolandrosier@y...> wrote:

      > Hello Douglas
      >
      > To get bluetooth up, I based my method on that found
      > at
      > http://bluez.sourceforge.net/contrib/HOWTO-PAN
      >

      > Hope that this helps ...
      >
      > Roland Rosier

      > To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all
      new Yahoo! Security Centre. http://uk.security.yahoo.com

      Roland,

      Thank you for this reply. I'm very greatful.

      Have you used this configuration with the Microsoft Bluetooth stack
      in an iPaq?

      One thing that I've noticed about most information regarding
      Bluetooth in the Linux community, is that it seems to be linux to
      linux communications. I need Linux to Pocket PC communications, for
      which there seems to be relatively little information.

      (I haven't found a reliable to get Linux into my HP1945, I'd happily
      grab any nice clean install distro for it..)

      Regards,

      Douglas.
    • Roland Rosier
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 1, 2006
        Hello Douglas,

        I connect my iPaq to the slug with the technique I
        described.

        I have to use what on my iPaq is called the "Bluetooth
        Manager".

        I create a new connection with its Bluetooth
        connection wizard,
        by using a section called "Explore a Bluetooth
        device".

        It connects to the Slug using it as a Network Access
        Point.

        It is a bit challenging to get it all working because
        WinCE by
        default doesn't provide much in the way of debugging
        information.

        One thing that took me a while to get working was
        ensuring
        that the iPaq had been assigned the correct I.P.
        address.

        Whilst debugging this I found that a utility called
        vxIPConfig
        available from http://www.cam.com/windowsce.html was
        invaluable.

        This tool is free for personal use, as is another of
        their tools
        called vxUtil (Personal). I also found this to be
        handy.

        My iPaq does lose its I.P. address occasionally and I
        don't know
        why. If I check the I.P. address with the vxIPConfig
        at that
        point, it has been reset to something incorrect. By
        default,
        the leases that the dhcpd server provides last for 10
        minutes
        and then get renegotiated. This process seems to fail
        every
        so often, which then results in the iPaq appearing to
        lose its
        connection because it no longer has a valid IP address
        and
        packets bound to or from it no longer get routed.

        If I force a renegotiation with the vxIPConfig tool,
        the iPaq
        can once more talk to the network. I haven't debugged
        this
        behaviour yet, though.

        Hope this helps,
        Roland

        > Roland,
        >
        > Thank you for this reply. I'm very greatful.
        >
        > Have you used this configuration with the Microsoft
        Bluetooth stack
        > in an iPaq?

        > One thing that I've noticed about most information
        regarding
        > Bluetooth in the Linux community, is that it seems
        to be linux to
        > linux communications. I need Linux to Pocket PC
        communications, for
        > which there seems to be relatively little
        information.

        > (I haven't found a reliable to get Linux into my
        HP1945, I'd happily
        > grab any nice clean install distro for it..)
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Douglas.

      • Douglas Bush
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 2, 2006
          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Roland Rosier <rolandrosier@...>

          Roland,

          Much of what I'm reading suggests that iPaqs don't support the full
          Bluetooth protocol stack. Specifically NAP access. What kind of iPaq
          are you using? Is it using an older version of the Microsoft
          Bluetooth stack?

          http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?pagename=bluetoothnetworking

          Regards,

          Douglas.
        • Roland Rosier
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 2, 2006
            Hello Douglas,

            I've successfully tried the NAP stuff with an h2200
            iPAQ and
            an h4700 iPAQ. Both of these run PocketPC 2003.

            I don't know anyone with an 1945 type iPAQ I could
            try.

            However, my old iPAQ 3630 doesn't appear to have the
            necessary
            things in it to use bluetooth, although that could be
            because I
            don't actually have an external bluetooth adapter I
            can plug
            into it to try and the iPAQ 3630 only recognises
            Ethernet
            Drivers by default. The iPAQ 3630 runs Windows CE 3.0.

            I did find an article at
            http://www.mobiletechreview.com/ipaq_1940.htm
            claiming that the iPAQ 1945 has PocketPC 2003 on it,
            and has a
            picture of the bluetooth manager. I find that
            selecting the
            "Explore a Bluetooth device" shown as selected in the
            picture
            enables the iPAQ connect to a NAP.

            If you iPAQ won't support a NAP, I don't know of
            another way to
            connect. Maybe someone else on this list might do,
            however.

            Regards,
            Roland

          • Douglas Bush
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 6, 2006
              <rolandrosier@...> wrote:

              > Hello Douglas,
              >
              > I've successfully tried the NAP stuff with an h2200
              > iPAQ and an h4700 iPAQ. Both of these run PocketPC 2003.
              >
              > I don't know anyone with an 1945 type iPAQ I could try.
              >
              > Regards,
              > Roland

              Roland,

              I have DUN working with my PDA, but I may try your recommendations.

              I'm curious, but what country to do you live in?

              In snooping around, I've noticed that DLink doesn't sell its NAP in
              North America, but they sell it pretty much anywhere else.

              Microsoft's Bluetooth stack (which is installed by default, no
              matter what the manufacturer ships with its install disc) does not
              perform NAP activities. It sets up a PPP link.

              Regards,

              Douglas.
            • Gregg C Levine
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 6, 2006
                Hello from Gregg C Levine
                (Standard disclaimer: My NSLU2 is still on order. And my Bluetooth
                dongle is also on order. As is the PDA. All from the same shop.)

                Doug, I confess I haven't been following the discussions closely.
                However one question sticks into my mind, who does make your unit?
                Theoretically all units available as of 2002 Summer should be wearing
                Pocket PC 2003. Again there are some things to consider, one is that
                the region where Roland for example bought his, may have released
                specific features.

                I should also add that it is possible to create your own image of
                Pocket PC 2003 from resources from those characters that are freely
                available.

                However, regarding that subject I am willing to discuss it with you
                off list as I do not want to clog the list with issues that aren't
                NSLU2 relevant.

                Also you might want to try different company Bluetooth adapters. I
                just examined the website for the D-Link adapter that I've seen for
                sale in CompUSA for example, and they do not mention that alternate
                protocol. I suspect I'd need to peruse their data sheets. But then
                again their (CompUSA) adapters don't as well mention that fact as
                well.
                ---
                Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@...
                ---
                "Remember the Force will be with you. Always." Obi-Wan Kenobi

              • Roland Rosier
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 6, 2006
                  Hello Douglas and Gregg

                  I apologise, but I missed the question about region
                  specific features.

                  Both iPaqs that the Bluetooth NAP works with were
                  purchased in the UK.

                  Looking at the HP update site for both the h4700
                  and the h2200, it would appear that there is only
                  one English ROM image upgrade available and that
                  covers US and UK.

                  The one thing that I will say about the method I
                  used is that neither iPAQ seems to want to
                  auto-dial, which can get extrememly annoying when
                  they drop the connection because it is necessary
                  to go in via the bluetooth manager to re-start it.

                  I do wonder if setting the slug up as a bluetooth
                  modem would get over this issue. If I get the
                  time I will investigate and let you know.
                  However, I haven't set up a bluetooth modem
                  before, so it might take me a while to figure it
                  out.

                  Regards (and again apologies for the missed question)
                  Roland