File browser or multimedia server ?

  • rasavibes
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1 7:46 AM
      Hi all,

      First, I would like to thanks all the NSLU2-Linux community for the
      huge and great job !

      Currently, my slug is used as following:
      - uNSLUng 5.5 beta
      - hard disk port 1: USB2 HD 250 Gb (full of mp3)
      - samba3

      i would like to be able to setup some web server, so that I could
      remotly at least browse the file on the slug (something better than
      the default web/if) or better to make the slug a audio file server.

      For that second point, i've been freezed considering the huge time it
      would take to launch a Twonky, Itunes, or else server on the slug.

      What would you advice ?
    • Laurent Gilson
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1 8:22 AM
        Hello

        > i would like to be able to setup some web server, so that I could
        > remotly at least browse the file on the slug (something better than
        > the default web/if) or better to make the slug a audio file server.

        "ipkg install thttpd"

        And some changes in thttpd.conf (in /etc/init.d or /opt/etc/init.d). You
        will have to tell thttpd where to look for your MP3.

        > For that second point, i've been freezed considering the huge time it
        > would take to launch a Twonky, Itunes, or else server on the slug.

        Have you seen the overclocking guide ?

        You can get a better performance if you clean up some RAM. Moving to
        openslug helps a bit.

        cu
      • Tom Flammia
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 1 8:28 AM
          10-4

          _____

          > i would like to be able to setup some web server, so that I could
          > remotly at least browse the file on the slug (something better than
          > the default web/if) or better to make the slug a audio file server.

          "ipkg install thttpd"

          And some changes in thttpd.conf (in /etc/init.d or /opt/etc/init.d). You
          will have to tell thttpd where to look for your MP3.

          > For that second point, i've been freezed considering the huge time it
          > would take to launch a Twonky, Itunes, or else server on the slug.

          Have you seen the overclocking guide ?

          You can get a better performance if you clean up some RAM. Moving to
          openslug helps a bit.

          cu

          _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS