Can't Get Bluetooth Network Access Point to work with iPAQ 1945

  • Douglas Bush
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 30, 2006
      Hello,

      I'm struggling to get my iPaq HP1945 to work with the
      OpenSlug/Bluetooth NAP. I did a fresh install of OpenSlug 2.7 Beta
      as per the instructions on the NSLU2-Linux web site. I then
      installed Bluetooth and configured PPP as per the instructions on
      the website. I'm using a Linksys Bluetooth adapter.

      From the iPaq, I can pair the Slug with the iPaq. They seem to see
      each other, and their appropriate properties. From the NSLU2 I have
      even been able to perform physical layer pings or the iPAQ (by its
      MAC address). I have not been able to perform TCP\IP Pings from the
      NSLU2 to the iPaq.

      I cannot get network access from the iPaq or the NSLU2. As of now I
      suspect this is a configuration issue on either the iPaq or the Slug.

      My network is behind a Linksys wireless firewall. My local subnet
      is 192.168.1.XXX. The Slug has the IP address 192.168.1.78. Do I
      need to create a new subnet for the PPP connection? I decided to
      use 10.0.0.XXX, but I have not performed any configuration of this
      subnet outside of the PPP config and the iPaq.

      Anyways, the PPP configuration I'm using is per the
      instructions... ;
      noauth
      crtscts
      lock
      local
      proxyarp
      ktune
      10.0.0.1:10.0.02
      ms-dns 192.168.1.1

      Do I need to do anything else to configure the NSLU2 so it can
      provide network access for the Bluetooth iPaq? I want to stress
      that I haven't configured anything else in the NSLU2 networking.
      (Its pretty much Slug default with fixed IP and DNS servers.)

      Am I supposed to configure the Bluetooth Linksys MAC address in
      RFCOMM.CONF?

      I configured the iPaq to use the NAP, and for its Network
      configuration I used 10.0.0.2 as its IP address, and 10.0.0.1 as its
      gateway.

      I did not configure it to use a PPP dialup or modem, since most of
      those configs seem to want a dial up phone number or have a login
      screen. (Neither of which seem to be in the NSLU2 bluetooth
      configuration.)

      When I attempt to connect www.google.com from Internet Explorer, the
      iPaq says I need to configure the Proxy Server.

      Regards,

      Douglas.
    • Tim Sailer
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 30, 2006
        On Mon, January 30, 2006 16:16, Douglas Bush said:

        > 10.0.0.1:10.0.02
        ^^

        Is this a typo in your message, or in your config?

        Tim
      • Roland Rosier
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 31, 2006
          Hello Douglas

          To get bluetooth up, I based my method on that found
          at
          http://bluez.sourceforge.net/contrib/HOWTO-PAN

          Preparation: Packages you will need
          (there may be others that I forgot I added):
          bash
          dhcp
          bluez-hcidump
          bluez-libs
          bluez-utils
          kernel-module-bluez
          kernel-module-bnep
          kernel-module-hci-usb
          kernel-module-l2cap
          kernel-module-rfcomm

          These may not be necessary but I have them
          Make a symbolic link from /etc/bluetooth to
          /opt/etc/bluetooth
          Make a symbolic link from /etc/dhcpd.conf to
          /opt/etc/dhcpd.conf

          In directory /opt/etc/bluetooth:
          Edit file hcid.conf,
          Change the line with name "BlueZ (%d)" to a name you
          want.
          Make sure that both iscan and pscan are enabled for
          now.
          Ensure that the link mode is lm accept, master;
          You may wish to enable auth and encrypt

          Once you have set your device up and paired it etc,
          you
          can disable iscan to prevent others discovering your
          NAP.

          Edit file pin and change the number.

          Create the directory pan if it doesn't already exist
          In directory pan, create a file dev-up

          Edit pan/dev-up to contain
          ---
          #!/bin/bash
          # 'dev-up' script for whenever a bnepx interface
          created

          declare thisIp;
          declare bcstIp;

          if [ "bnep0" == "$1" ] ; then
          thisIp=192.168.4.1/30
          bcstIp=192.168.4.3
          elif [ "bnep1" == "$1" ] ; then
          thisIp=192.168.4.5/30
          bcstIp=192.168.4.7
          elif [ "bnep2" == "$1" ] ; then
          thisIp=192.168.4.9
          bcstIp=192.168.4.11
          fi

          /opt/sbin/ifconfig $1 up broadcast $bcstIp $thisIp

          /opt/etc/init.d/S56dhcp

          /opt/sbin/ifconfig $1 up broadcast $bcstIp $thisIp

          echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
          ---

          There are two ifconfigs because restarting the dhcp
          server
          seems to cause the loss of the netmask for the device,
          so
          calling ifconfig again re-initialises the netmask.

          This nasty script is needed because the Ethernet
          Bridging
          utilities and kernel module haven't been ported to
          Unslung yet.

          The above setup should allow up to three bluetooth
          devices to
          connect with networks of 192.168.4.0, 192.168.4.4 and
          192.168.4.8,
          although I have only tested it with two bluetooth
          devices.

          Now edit /opt/etc/dhcpd.conf (for the dynamic host
          control
          protocol)to tell your bluetooth device what IP it
          should use.
          Set all the options needed (ie domain, nameserver etc
          etc)
          MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE THE FOLLOWING LINE IN THE
          INITIAL OPTIONS SECTION:

          ddns-update-style ad-hoc;

          Without this line, dhcpd just chucks out error
          messages and sulks.
          Apparently dhcpd is moving to a new style of dns
          updating
          (whatever that means) and this ad-hoc method is
          depreciated.
          However, I couldn't make dhcp work without this line.
          If
          someone could tell me the magic recipe, I would be
          grateful.

          For now, unless you are a dhcpd expert and know what
          to do, add this line.

          Ensure that there are subnets in /opt/etc/dhcpd.conf
          for the
          networks in the above dev-up script:
          --
          subnet 192.168.4.0 netmask 255.255.255.252 {
          range 192.168.4.2 192.168.4.2;

          subnet 192.168.4.4 netmask 255.255.255.252 {
          range 192.168.4.6 192.168.4.6;
          option routers 192.168.4.5;
          option broadcast-address 192.168.4.7;
          }
          --
          and so on.

          Now, with any luck it should be possible to bring
          bluetooth up.

          Sadly, Hotplug is not ported to Unslung yet, so this
          has to be
          done the hard way.

          I haven't yet written scripts to do this all
          automatically as
          I am wondering whether to try to port the bridging
          utilities and
          hotplug to Unslung. (How much time free do I have, I
          wonder?)

          However, this seems to work on my box.
          Firstly load the kernel modules

          # insmod bluez
          # insmod hci_usb
          # insmod l2cap
          # insmod bnep

          Start the hcid Daemon

          # hcid

          Start the Service Discovery Protocol Daemon

          # sdpd

          Start the Personal Area Network Daemon in Network
          Access Point (NAP)
          mode

          # pand --listen --role NAP

          At this point, you should be able to see your Slug
          with your iPaq
          and connect to it in Network Access Point mode.

          The dhcpd Daemon should give your iPaq a dynamic IP
          address
          probably 192.168.4.2). You will need to ensure that
          this is a
          valid address on your network and that it is
          masqueraded
          AND routed correctly to be able to browse the
          Internet.

          Hope that this helps ...

          Roland Rosier

        • Douglas Bush
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 1, 2006
            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Roland Rosier
            <rolandrosier@y...> wrote:

            > Hello Douglas
            >
            > To get bluetooth up, I based my method on that found
            > at
            > http://bluez.sourceforge.net/contrib/HOWTO-PAN
            >

            > Hope that this helps ...
            >
            > Roland Rosier

            > To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all
            new Yahoo! Security Centre. http://uk.security.yahoo.com

            Roland,

            Thank you for this reply. I'm very greatful.

            Have you used this configuration with the Microsoft Bluetooth stack
            in an iPaq?

            One thing that I've noticed about most information regarding
            Bluetooth in the Linux community, is that it seems to be linux to
            linux communications. I need Linux to Pocket PC communications, for
            which there seems to be relatively little information.

            (I haven't found a reliable to get Linux into my HP1945, I'd happily
            grab any nice clean install distro for it..)

            Regards,

            Douglas.
          • Roland Rosier
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 1, 2006
              Hello Douglas,

              I connect my iPaq to the slug with the technique I
              described.

              I have to use what on my iPaq is called the "Bluetooth
              Manager".

              I create a new connection with its Bluetooth
              connection wizard,
              by using a section called "Explore a Bluetooth
              device".

              It connects to the Slug using it as a Network Access
              Point.

              It is a bit challenging to get it all working because
              WinCE by
              default doesn't provide much in the way of debugging
              information.

              One thing that took me a while to get working was
              ensuring
              that the iPaq had been assigned the correct I.P.
              address.

              Whilst debugging this I found that a utility called
              vxIPConfig
              available from http://www.cam.com/windowsce.html was
              invaluable.

              This tool is free for personal use, as is another of
              their tools
              called vxUtil (Personal). I also found this to be
              handy.

              My iPaq does lose its I.P. address occasionally and I
              don't know
              why. If I check the I.P. address with the vxIPConfig
              at that
              point, it has been reset to something incorrect. By
              default,
              the leases that the dhcpd server provides last for 10
              minutes
              and then get renegotiated. This process seems to fail
              every
              so often, which then results in the iPaq appearing to
              lose its
              connection because it no longer has a valid IP address
              and
              packets bound to or from it no longer get routed.

              If I force a renegotiation with the vxIPConfig tool,
              the iPaq
              can once more talk to the network. I haven't debugged
              this
              behaviour yet, though.

              Hope this helps,
              Roland

              > Roland,
              >
              > Thank you for this reply. I'm very greatful.
              >
              > Have you used this configuration with the Microsoft
              Bluetooth stack
              > in an iPaq?

              > One thing that I've noticed about most information
              regarding
              > Bluetooth in the Linux community, is that it seems
              to be linux to
              > linux communications. I need Linux to Pocket PC
              communications, for
              > which there seems to be relatively little
              information.

              > (I haven't found a reliable to get Linux into my
              HP1945, I'd happily
              > grab any nice clean install distro for it..)
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > Douglas.

            • Douglas Bush
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 2, 2006
                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Roland Rosier <rolandrosier@...>

                Roland,

                Much of what I'm reading suggests that iPaqs don't support the full
                Bluetooth protocol stack. Specifically NAP access. What kind of iPaq
                are you using? Is it using an older version of the Microsoft
                Bluetooth stack?

                http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?pagename=bluetoothnetworking

                Regards,

                Douglas.
              • Roland Rosier
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 2, 2006
                  Hello Douglas,

                  I've successfully tried the NAP stuff with an h2200
                  iPAQ and
                  an h4700 iPAQ. Both of these run PocketPC 2003.

                  I don't know anyone with an 1945 type iPAQ I could
                  try.

                  However, my old iPAQ 3630 doesn't appear to have the
                  necessary
                  things in it to use bluetooth, although that could be
                  because I
                  don't actually have an external bluetooth adapter I
                  can plug
                  into it to try and the iPAQ 3630 only recognises
                  Ethernet
                  Drivers by default. The iPAQ 3630 runs Windows CE 3.0.

                  I did find an article at
                  http://www.mobiletechreview.com/ipaq_1940.htm
                  claiming that the iPAQ 1945 has PocketPC 2003 on it,
                  and has a
                  picture of the bluetooth manager. I find that
                  selecting the
                  "Explore a Bluetooth device" shown as selected in the
                  picture
                  enables the iPAQ connect to a NAP.

                  If you iPAQ won't support a NAP, I don't know of
                  another way to
                  connect. Maybe someone else on this list might do,
                  however.

                  Regards,
                  Roland

                • Douglas Bush
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 6, 2006
                    <rolandrosier@...> wrote:

                    > Hello Douglas,
                    >
                    > I've successfully tried the NAP stuff with an h2200
                    > iPAQ and an h4700 iPAQ. Both of these run PocketPC 2003.
                    >
                    > I don't know anyone with an 1945 type iPAQ I could try.
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    > Roland

                    Roland,

                    I have DUN working with my PDA, but I may try your recommendations.

                    I'm curious, but what country to do you live in?

                    In snooping around, I've noticed that DLink doesn't sell its NAP in
                    North America, but they sell it pretty much anywhere else.

                    Microsoft's Bluetooth stack (which is installed by default, no
                    matter what the manufacturer ships with its install disc) does not
                    perform NAP activities. It sets up a PPP link.

                    Regards,

                    Douglas.
                  • Gregg C Levine
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 6, 2006
                      Hello from Gregg C Levine
                      (Standard disclaimer: My NSLU2 is still on order. And my Bluetooth
                      dongle is also on order. As is the PDA. All from the same shop.)

                      Doug, I confess I haven't been following the discussions closely.
                      However one question sticks into my mind, who does make your unit?
                      Theoretically all units available as of 2002 Summer should be wearing
                      Pocket PC 2003. Again there are some things to consider, one is that
                      the region where Roland for example bought his, may have released
                      specific features.

                      I should also add that it is possible to create your own image of
                      Pocket PC 2003 from resources from those characters that are freely
                      available.

                      However, regarding that subject I am willing to discuss it with you
                      off list as I do not want to clog the list with issues that aren't
                      NSLU2 relevant.

                      Also you might want to try different company Bluetooth adapters. I
                      just examined the website for the D-Link adapter that I've seen for
                      sale in CompUSA for example, and they do not mention that alternate
                      protocol. I suspect I'd need to peruse their data sheets. But then
                      again their (CompUSA) adapters don't as well mention that fact as
                      well.
                      ---
                      Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@...
                      ---
                      "Remember the Force will be with you. Always." Obi-Wan Kenobi

                    • Roland Rosier
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 6, 2006
                        Hello Douglas and Gregg

                        I apologise, but I missed the question about region
                        specific features.

                        Both iPaqs that the Bluetooth NAP works with were
                        purchased in the UK.

                        Looking at the HP update site for both the h4700
                        and the h2200, it would appear that there is only
                        one English ROM image upgrade available and that
                        covers US and UK.

                        The one thing that I will say about the method I
                        used is that neither iPAQ seems to want to
                        auto-dial, which can get extrememly annoying when
                        they drop the connection because it is necessary
                        to go in via the bluetooth manager to re-start it.

                        I do wonder if setting the slug up as a bluetooth
                        modem would get over this issue. If I get the
                        time I will investigate and let you know.
                        However, I haven't set up a bluetooth modem
                        before, so it might take me a while to figure it
                        out.

                        Regards (and again apologies for the missed question)
                        Roland