Problems with disk

  • rklingsten
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 24, 2004
      Hi folks --

      I've got a USB enclosure with a 20gb Quantum drive in it. The drive works fine under
      Windows, mounts up, can format, etc.

      When I put it on the NSLU2, it isn't recognized.

      Ok, so maybe it is the filesystem. I put it on my Mac with a ext3 driver and formatted it
      with ext3 ... still isn't recognized. The NSLU2 insists there isn't a disk attached.

      Any suggestions?

      thanks -

      Rob
    • paulbart1234
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 24, 2004
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "rklingsten" <rklingsten@y...>
        wrote:

        > Ok, so maybe it is the filesystem. I put it on my Mac with a ext3
        driver and formatted it
        > with ext3 ... still isn't recognized. The NSLU2 insists there
        isn't a disk attached.

        > Any suggestions?

        Formatting it ext3 won't help - the NSLU2 wants 3 separate ext3
        partitions (data, config, swap).

        The NSLU2 should recognize that the disk is there, but consider
        it 'not formatted'.

        Is there a partition table on the drive? Or, maybe something
        resembling a partition table that's confusing Linux?

        I'd try zeroing-out the first sector of the hard drive, and if that
        doesn't work, creating an empty partition table (use fdisk, for
        example). (please be sure that you know what you're doing - don't
        blame me if you screw it up! :) ).

        It's also possible that the disk (USB enclosure) just isn't
        compatible with the NSLU2.

        - Paulb
      • Donald Jones
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 24, 2004
          I've found that with smaller / older hard disks in my ADS enclosure,
          the NSLU2 did not like them. I put in newer disks and they worked
          fine. I'm thinking maybe it has something to do with the ATA settings
          that come with the drives themselves but maybe I'm totally off base

          > Ok, so maybe it is the filesystem. I put it on my Mac with a ext3
          driver and formatted it
          > with ext3 ... still isn't recognized. The NSLU2 insists there
          isn't a disk attached.

          > Any suggestions?

          Formatting it ext3 won't help - the NSLU2 wants 3 separate ext3
          partitions (data, config, swap).

          The NSLU2 should recognize that the disk is there, but consider
          it 'not formatted'.

          Is there a partition table on the drive? Or, maybe something
          resembling a partition table that's confusing Linux?

          I'd try zeroing-out the first sector of the hard drive, and if that
          doesn't work, creating an empty partition table (use fdisk, for
          example). (please be sure that you know what you're doing - don't
          blame me if you screw it up! :) ).

          It's also possible that the disk (USB enclosure) just isn't
          compatible with the NSLU2.

          - Paulb

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Abene Pete
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 24, 2004
            i have had luck with several drives and cases by using
            XP windows Disk Manager. Connect the Disk to the XP
            computer. Then go in to Disk Manager and remove all
            partitions. Donot format the drive. Now connect the
            USB case with the drive to the NSLU2 and format it
            using the NSLU2

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail