Re: geneis chipset

  • cooldude10810
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 20, 2004
      I don't see that chipset there. Am I jsut missing it?

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "rttnmutt" <anderep@1...>
      wrote:

      > go to the database... and sort by chipset... it has issues and
      won't
      > work, sorry. maybe in the future thou...
      >

      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "cooldude10810"
      > <cooldude10810@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello. Since my current enclosure dosn't work, I am looking for
      > > new one. I found this at compusa.com:
      > >
      > > http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?
      > > product_code=315788&pfp=BROWSE
      > >
      > > I e-mailed the manufacture to find out what chipset it uses and
      > they
      > > say it uses a "Geneis" chipset. Does anyone have any mroe info
      on
      > > this chip and if it will work with the NSLU2?
    • Mark Su
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 21, 2004
        Never heard of Geneis and a google search didn't find anything. Did
        you mean Genesys Logic?

        The CompUSA page gives you the manufacturer's item id of CD-310-U2.
        So if you go to www.coolmaxusa.com, you can look up more information.
        I downloaded the driver they had listed for this enclosure, and the
        .INF text files had "Cypress Semiconductor", not Genesys Logic or
        Geneis in it. Just FYI.

        I've read of people having pretty good success with enclosures using
        various Cypress chipsets. I've had terrible luck with ones using the
        Genesys Logic chipset under both Linux and Windows (without applying
        any sort of proprietary patch).

        Good luck!

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 21, 2004
          Weird. I looked at the product page at CompUSA and foudn the part
          number "CD-310-U2". When I searched google I found the coolmax page
          like you said. However I e-mailed the tech support and asked for the
          chip set and this is the exact response I got:

          "The chipset on the cd-310 is from geneis. If you require more
          detailed information please let know by email.

          Best Regards,
          CoolMax Support"

          That is what I was basing my info from. Weird that the driver
          chipset and the tech supprot info are different.
          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Su" <marksu98@y...>
          wrote:

          > Never heard of Geneis and a google search didn't find anything.
          Did
          > you mean Genesys Logic?
          >
          > The CompUSA page gives you the manufacturer's item id of CD-310-
          U2.
          > So if you go to www.coolmaxusa.com, you can look up more
          information.
          > I downloaded the driver they had listed for this enclosure, and
          the
          > .INF text files had "Cypress Semiconductor", not Genesys Logic or
          > Geneis in it. Just FYI.
          >
          > I've read of people having pretty good success with enclosures
          using
          > various Cypress chipsets. I've had terrible luck with ones using
          the
          > Genesys Logic chipset under both Linux and Windows (without
          applying
          > any sort of proprietary patch).
          >
          > Good luck!
          >
          > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "cooldude10810"
          > <cooldude10810@y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I don't see that chipset there. Am I jsut missing it?
          > >
          > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "rttnmutt" <anderep@1...>
          > > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > go to the database... and sort by chipset... it has issues and
          > > won't
          > > > work, sorry. maybe in the future thou...
          > > >

          > > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "cooldude10810"

          > > > they
          > > on
        • chriz4bruno
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 24, 2004
            Hello,

            I ran into the same problem with the Genesys Logic GL811E-chipset.
            The chipset is buggy. I read about it in linux-usb-users mailing-list
            (http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-usb-
            users@.../msg10941.html).

            I found a patch for linux 2.4-kernels (http://www.mail-
            archive.com/linux-usb-users@.../msg10981.html).

            I put it into my OpenEmbedded-build-environment in a file named
            "oe/packages/linux/nslu2-unslung-kernel-2.3r25/gl811e.patch"

            Then I added

            SRC_URI += " file://gl811e.patch;patch=1"

            in ~oe/packages/linux/nslu2-unslung-kernel-standard_2.3r25.oe

            and build a new kernel.

            After flashing it to the slug it works perfectly.

            Chris.
          • K. Carter Sr.
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 24, 2004
              Can you upload that flash binary for all of us to try flashing it to
              the NSLU2?s

              Is it Unslung?

              K.C.

              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "chriz4bruno" <c4b@i...> wrote:

              > Hello,
              >
              > I ran into the same problem with the Genesys Logic GL811E-chipset.
              > The chipset is buggy. I read about it in linux-usb-users mailing-
              list
              > (http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-usb-
              > users@l.../msg10941.html).
              >
              > I found a patch for linux 2.4-kernels (http://www.mail-
              > archive.com/linux-usb-users@l.../msg10981.html).
              >
              > I put it into my OpenEmbedded-build-environment in a file named
              > "oe/packages/linux/nslu2-unslung-kernel-2.3r25/gl811e.patch"
              >
              > Then I added
              >
              > SRC_URI += " file://gl811e.patch;patch=1"
              >
              > in ~oe/packages/linux/nslu2-unslung-kernel-standard_2.3r25.oe
              >
              > and build a new kernel.
              >
              > After flashing it to the slug it works perfectly.
              >
              > Chris.
            • chriz4bruno
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 25, 2004
                Sorry, unslung-2.x is alpha - you have to build it from source.

                See http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/OpenEmbedded/GettingStarted for
                details.

                Chris

                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "K. Carter Sr."