Bytecc ME-740U2 External 3.5" Drive Enclosure Successful

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 20, 2004
      I wanted to share some more good news for those looking for a
      compatible drive enclosure. I hope this helps some of you out there.

      I have a Western Digital 250GB (model: WD2500JBRTL) in the Bytecc
      ME-740U2 USB2.0 drive enclosure. It's been very reliably with the
      NSLU2 so far. I've written over 100GB of data to it through the
      NSLU2, simultaneously written to it while reading (no lock ups), and
      the drive is recognized after restarting the NSLU2 (no issue with
      drive not installed message).

      Some of you will recall my last post about the incompatibility of the
      Mapower Map-KC31U2 drive enclosure with the NSLU2. That one used a
      Genesys Logic chipset.

      This one from Bytecc uses an Ali chipset. You can find a bit more
      information about it at:

      http://www.byteccusa.com/product/enclosure/ME-740B.htm

      Also note that with the drive set to master, the full capacity of the
      drive was not recognized. This runs against the posts I've read (and
      also the manual that came with the Mapower unit) that state that you
      must set the jumper to master. Once I set it to cable select, the
      full drive capacity was recognized. This occurred both in Windows and
      with the NSLU2.
    • Lee Levitt
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 31, 2004
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <marksu98@y...> wrote:

        > I wanted to share some more good news for those looking for a
        > compatible drive enclosure. I hope this helps some of you out
        there.

        > I have a Western Digital 250GB (model: WD2500JBRTL) in the Bytecc
        > ME-740U2 USB2.0 drive enclosure. It's been very reliably with the
        > NSLU2 so far. I've written over 100GB of data to it through the
        > NSLU2, simultaneously written to it while reading (no lock ups),
        and
        > the drive is recognized after restarting the NSLU2 (no issue with
        > drive not installed message).

        I'm using the same enclosures with Maxtor 200GB drives. System
        worked fine for about 30 days, then it's gone into this intermittent
        read only mode where I can read the drive but not write to it.

        If I power cycle, this sometimes clears the problem.

        However, and here's the weird thing, I had the *same* problem with a
        Bytecc enclosure attached to a Windows XP box. All of a sudden the
        drive went read only.

        Weird.

        Anybody else run into this?

        Lee