Slug won't restart after password change

  • Ben
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 6, 2006
      Bit of a night mare really. The hard drive that I'd unslung to failed
      last week, so I've replaced it with a Buffalo Drivestation (great
      deal on the 160Gb one now that the 250Gb one's hit the UK!)

      I've probably done the wrong thing, but I just did the unsling
      procedure to disk1 again (without upgrading the firmware again). It
      seemed to boot fine at this point.

      However, I now need to get my packages installed (mt-daapt is the
      main one so I can actually use my soundbridge).
      So, I changed the password using the instructions on the site, so
      that I can telnet in when booting from the disk, and now when I start
      with the disk, the "Ready / Status" light never lights up.

      Should I have re-installed the firmware from scratch before re-doing
      the unsling process? I'm pretty sure I haven't stuffed up the slug as
      it boots fine without a disk attached, and when I subsequently hot
      attach a disk it accesses it just fine.

      Any thoughts or ideas would be most welcome :-)

      Cheers

      Ben
    • Mike Westerhof
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 6, 2006
        You know, I've been wondering if this is actually documented anywhere or not, but in fact an "unsling" operation is a one-time operation currently. After you perform the unsling, a flag is written to the local flash so that subsequent restarts will boot up in a manner more appropriate for running from disk than internal flash.

        In any case, if you unsling on a system that's already unslung itself in the past, the resulting disk image on the target drive has (among other things) an empty /dev directory. Ouch.

        It's easy to fix:

        - boot your slug without disks, and telnet in.
        - remove the ".unslung" and ".sda1root" files:
        rm /.unslung
        rm /.sd??root
        - reboot

        Now you're ready to unsling again. This time it will populate all the correct directories, and it should boot up.

        (The unsling script in unslung 6.5-alpha checks for this occurence, and helps you fix it, BTW.)

        Mike (mwester)

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 7, 2006
          Hi Mike

          Thanks for the info :-) I've removed the files you mentioned, and re-
          unslung. 10 minutes later and I have the iTunes server running again.

          Thanks very much

          Ben

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Westerhof" <mwester@d...>
          wrote:

          > You know, I've been wondering if this is actually documented
          anywhere or not, but in fact an "unsling" operation is a one-time
          operation currently. After you perform the unsling, a flag is
          written to the local flash so that subsequent restarts will boot up
          in a manner more appropriate for running from disk than internal
          flash.

          > In any case, if you unsling on a system that's already unslung
          itself in the past, the resulting disk image on the target drive has
          (among other things) an empty /dev directory. Ouch.

          > It's easy to fix:
          >
          > - boot your slug without disks, and telnet in.
          > - remove the ".unslung" and ".sda1root" files:
          > rm /.unslung
          > rm /.sd??root
          > - reboot
          >
          > Now you're ready to unsling again. This time it will populate all
          the correct directories, and it should boot up.

          > (The unsling script in unslung 6.5-alpha checks for this occurence,
          and helps you fix it, BTW.)

          > Mike (mwester)

          [moderator removed ads]
        • Ludovic Drochon
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 8, 2006
            Many thanks Mike, your tip gets my NSLU2 back to life. This should be
            written in the Wiki.

            Ludo