Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP

  • cnczane
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2006
      I spent a maddening day trying to figure out why I could 'ping' and
      'telnet' to my NSLU2 but could not see the public share 'DISK 1' from
      a Windows 2000 machine. I couldn't even see it in "Computers Near Me."

      Luckily (and maddeningly) I had another Windows 2k machine for which
      it worked.

      Finally compared network settings and found the failing machine had
      "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP" disabled. Apparently Windows needs that
      to share files?

      BTW, shortly after fixing it, I had three machines watching three DivX
      movies simultaneously (two watching the same movie, but at different
      start times, AND over 11Mbps wireless...) with no problems.
      --
      CZ
    • caplink811
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 4, 2006
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "cnczane" <dnelson@c...> wrote:

        Hi,

        > Finally compared network settings and found the failing machine had
        > "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP" disabled. Apparently Windows needs that
        > to share files?

        Win versions >= w2k/w2k3/xp don't need netbios over tcpip enabled. It
        seems that your name resolution (dns) doesn't work correctly.
        Depending on the samba version and the dns_proxy parameter in
        smb.conf, samba can resolv names via the netbios protocol (if they are
        shorter as 15 charakters).

        bye
        JrB