Can unslinging be reversed?

  • cnczane
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2006
      I haven't found this discussed in the website or the forum.

      After unslinging to disk2 and quite happily downloading 200G to a much
      larger disk1, I decided it would be smarter to have two identical
      disks in some kind of a mirroring setup, and thus requiring the o/s on
      both.

      To that end, I've tried a number of things to undo the unslinging of
      disk2 and re-unsling disk1.

      I'm doing something now that may be on the right track but I don't
      know if it will hit a wall.

      I unmounted /dev/sda1/ and sda2/ and remounted them to dummy dirs in
      /tmp/ where I created ORIG/ dirs in each and moved EVERYTHING (even
      hidden files) into them, leaving the top-level dir empty exc. for ORIG/.

      Then I remounted them back into /share/hdd/, and ran unsling disk1
      (after first removing /.sda1root, /.unsling, and /unslung/ from /).

      The data/ dir was populated well as a result, but conf/ seemed to get
      nothing out of it, so I guessed that much of what I'd moved into
      conf/ORIG/ was expected already to be present. I copied most of the
      files back into conf/ but edited out ALL references to users and
      groups I'd created and any other non-default things I'd done. (In the
      process, I noticed that admin and ourtelnetrescueuser were supposed to
      have /home/user/ account directories so I created those too.)

      Now after rebooting, I can see /dev/sda1 mounted on / which is a good
      sign, but it's also mounted on /initrd type jffs2 which feels wrong.
      Also the new /share/hdd/data/ doesn't have a public/ which I expected
      to fill with my data I'd saved in data/ORIG/.

      Is this approach doomed? Many thanks.
      --
      CZ