Re: [nslu2-general] create new howto page

  • Gregor Zurowski
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2006
      Hi Tim,

      I had problems syncing big amounts of data (>300000 files). Rsync
      constantly ran out of memory and just aborted. So I created an
      additional swap file with the following steps:

      1.) Create a 256MB swap file:
      # dd if=/dev/zero of=/yourpath/yourswapfilename bs=1024 count=262144
      # mkswap /yourpath/yourswapfilename

      2.) Attach the swapfile to the existing swap space:
      # swapon /yourpath/yourswapfilename

      3.) Now you should have 256MB of additional swap space

      You can also create a small startup script in /opt/etc/init.d which
      contains the swapon command in order to automatically attach the
      swapfile during every startup. Since I've done that I have no more
      problems with rsync. Hope it helps...

      Can somebody help out with the question about how to create a new howto
      page?

      Gregor

      Tim Bishop wrote:
      > Gregor,
      > I don't know how to create a howto page, but I would be very interested
      > in learning how to make rsync work better on the slug.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Tim
      >

      > Gregor Zurowski wrote:
      >
      >>Hi,
      >>
      >> Recently I experienced some problems with rsync due to memory
      >>constrains of the slug. I was able to work around this by adding more
      >>swap space in form of an additional swap file and activating it in a
      >>startup script. Do you think that creating a howto page on this topic
      >>would help other users? If yes, how can I add a new howto page?
      >>
      >>Thanks in advance,
      >>Gregor
      >>

      >>Yahoo! Groups Links

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Phil Endecott
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2006
        > how can I add a new howto page?

        At the bottom of the left column of each Wiki page you'll see a link to
        the Wiki documentation.

        As far as I recall, you can create a new page just by visiting the
        address where you want it to appear, e.g.

        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddSwapFile

        and following the instructions.

        A few pages are password-protected, and the HowTo index page is one of
        them. So after you've written your page you'll need to ask someone who
        has a password (not me) to add a link from the HowTo index page.

        --Phil.