Re: [nslu2-general] create new howto page

  • Tim Bishop
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2006
      Gregor,
      I don't know how to create a howto page, but I would be very interested
      in learning how to make rsync work better on the slug.

      Thanks,
      Tim

      Gregor Zurowski wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > Recently I experienced some problems with rsync due to memory
      > constrains of the slug. I was able to work around this by adding more
      > swap space in form of an additional swap file and activating it in a
      > startup script. Do you think that creating a howto page on this topic
      > would help other users? If yes, how can I add a new howto page?
      >
      > Thanks in advance,
      > Gregor
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Gregor Zurowski
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2006
        Hi Tim,

        I had problems syncing big amounts of data (>300000 files). Rsync
        constantly ran out of memory and just aborted. So I created an
        additional swap file with the following steps:

        1.) Create a 256MB swap file:
        # dd if=/dev/zero of=/yourpath/yourswapfilename bs=1024 count=262144
        # mkswap /yourpath/yourswapfilename

        2.) Attach the swapfile to the existing swap space:
        # swapon /yourpath/yourswapfilename

        3.) Now you should have 256MB of additional swap space

        You can also create a small startup script in /opt/etc/init.d which
        contains the swapon command in order to automatically attach the
        swapfile during every startup. Since I've done that I have no more
        problems with rsync. Hope it helps...

        Can somebody help out with the question about how to create a new howto
        page?

        Gregor

        Tim Bishop wrote:
        > Gregor,
        > I don't know how to create a howto page, but I would be very interested
        > in learning how to make rsync work better on the slug.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Tim
        >

        > Gregor Zurowski wrote:
        >
        >>Hi,
        >>
        >> Recently I experienced some problems with rsync due to memory
        >>constrains of the slug. I was able to work around this by adding more
        >>swap space in form of an additional swap file and activating it in a
        >>startup script. Do you think that creating a howto page on this topic
        >>would help other users? If yes, how can I add a new howto page?
        >>
        >>Thanks in advance,
        >>Gregor
        >>

        >>Yahoo! Groups Links

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Phil Endecott
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 2006
          > how can I add a new howto page?

          At the bottom of the left column of each Wiki page you'll see a link to
          the Wiki documentation.

          As far as I recall, you can create a new page just by visiting the
          address where you want it to appear, e.g.

          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddSwapFile

          and following the instructions.

          A few pages are password-protected, and the HowTo index page is one of
          them. So after you've written your page you'll need to ask someone who
          has a password (not me) to add a link from the HowTo index page.

          --Phil.