create new howto page

  • Gregor Zurowski
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2006

      Recently I experienced some problems with rsync due to memory
      constrains of the slug. I was able to work around this by adding more
      swap space in form of an additional swap file and activating it in a
      startup script. Do you think that creating a howto page on this topic
      would help other users? If yes, how can I add a new howto page?

      Thanks in advance,
      Gregor
    • Tim Bishop
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2006
        Gregor,
        I don't know how to create a howto page, but I would be very interested
        in learning how to make rsync work better on the slug.

        Thanks,
        Tim

        Gregor Zurowski wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > Recently I experienced some problems with rsync due to memory
        > constrains of the slug. I was able to work around this by adding more
        > swap space in form of an additional swap file and activating it in a
        > startup script. Do you think that creating a howto page on this topic
        > would help other users? If yes, how can I add a new howto page?
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        > Gregor
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Gregor Zurowski
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 2006
          Hi Tim,

          I had problems syncing big amounts of data (>300000 files). Rsync
          constantly ran out of memory and just aborted. So I created an
          additional swap file with the following steps:

          1.) Create a 256MB swap file:
          # dd if=/dev/zero of=/yourpath/yourswapfilename bs=1024 count=262144
          # mkswap /yourpath/yourswapfilename

          2.) Attach the swapfile to the existing swap space:
          # swapon /yourpath/yourswapfilename

          3.) Now you should have 256MB of additional swap space

          You can also create a small startup script in /opt/etc/init.d which
          contains the swapon command in order to automatically attach the
          swapfile during every startup. Since I've done that I have no more
          problems with rsync. Hope it helps...

          Can somebody help out with the question about how to create a new howto
          page?

          Gregor

          Tim Bishop wrote:
          > Gregor,
          > I don't know how to create a howto page, but I would be very interested
          > in learning how to make rsync work better on the slug.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Tim
          >

          > Gregor Zurowski wrote:
          >
          >>Hi,
          >>
          >> Recently I experienced some problems with rsync due to memory
          >>constrains of the slug. I was able to work around this by adding more
          >>swap space in form of an additional swap file and activating it in a
          >>startup script. Do you think that creating a howto page on this topic
          >>would help other users? If yes, how can I add a new howto page?
          >>
          >>Thanks in advance,
          >>Gregor
          >>

          >>Yahoo! Groups Links

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Phil Endecott
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 3, 2006
            > how can I add a new howto page?

            At the bottom of the left column of each Wiki page you'll see a link to
            the Wiki documentation.

            As far as I recall, you can create a new page just by visiting the
            address where you want it to appear, e.g.

            http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddSwapFile

            and following the instructions.

            A few pages are password-protected, and the HowTo index page is one of
            them. So after you've written your page you'll need to ask someone who
            has a password (not me) to add a link from the HowTo index page.

            --Phil.